New CPU or New motherboard: Overclock a Non-K CPU

Hello everyone,

I have a B150i pro game AC mobo and a Core i5 6600 CPU. I wanted to overclock the CPU but my mobo doesn't allow it on non-k CPU. I found out that mobos whith z170 and older bios could do the trick. Should i buy another motherboard (wich will be cheaper buy might not work) or should i buy another CPU (second hand or new, but it will still be more expensive) ?

Best regards

You can't overclock non K CPUs anyway. So you would need a new CPU too if you get Z series board.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

3 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

You can't overclock non K CPUs anyway. So you would need a new CPU too if you get Z series board.

It seems like its indeed possible, but only on z170 chipset mobos

There actually are ways to overclock non K CPUs, but it's kinda difficult and probably not what you're looking for, so you're best off getting a Z-Series motherboard and a K CPU

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

2 minutes ago, myselfolli said:

There actually are ways to overclock non K CPUs, but it's kinda difficult and probably not what you're looking for, so you're best off getting a Z-Series motherboard and a K CPU

Thanks for the advice

The growth in here for Bots is hilarious!!! 

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

If You can get a decent z170 mobo for cheap. I'd say go for it.

You can download 1301 bios and install it. You dont have to find a z170 with an old bios.

I'm running 

I5 6500 @4.3ghz all cores sync

My is xmp @ 2400mhz, but running at 2660 or 2700mhz. Becuase of how blk OC effects more then just cpu oc'ing my

your biggest challenge is watching temps. Occt works well on win 10. But hwmonitor with sensors only is better on win 7

16 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

You need to flash the Z170 motherboards in order to overclock non-k CPUs, don't you? So you have to take the risk first, second, the non-k CPUs are maybe the worst CPUs to overclock, don't think you can reach a clock speed as high as an OC K chip

Either you have a very nice CPU capable of OC high, or a shitty CPU that won't OC over 200 MHz, that's the second risk

Gracias

10 minutes ago, PacketMan said:

You need to flash the Z170 motherboards in order to overclock non-k CPUs, don't you? So you have to take the risk first, second, the non-k CPUs are maybe the worst CPUs to overclock, don't think you can reach a clock speed as high as an OC K chip

Either you have a very nice CPU capable of OC high, or a shitty CPU that won't OC over 200 MHz, that's the second risk

No more of a risk then updating a bios.

1301 comes from der8auer. So it's pretty safe.

Base clock on my i5-6500 is 3.2ghz. Only 1 core boost to 3.6ghz the other 3 cores will only boost to 3.3ghz.

With my 1301 bios my oc is

4.3ghz all core sync.

Which is a great improvement.

And if the OC potential was so crappy Intel wouldn't need to lock down the cpus from oc'ing. Dont get me wrong silicon lottery is still a lottery, but I think it's worth it. If you can get a board at a decent price.

18 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

If You can get a decent z170 mobo for cheap. I'd say go for it.

You can download 1301 bios and install it. You dont have to find a z170 with an old bios.

I'm running 

I5 6500 @4.3ghz all cores sync

My is xmp @ 2400mhz, but running at 2660 or 2700mhz. Becuase of how blk OC effects more then just cpu oc'ing my

your biggest challenge is watching temps. Occt works well on win 10. But hwmonitor with sensors only is better on win 7

Thanks, for the information.

Considering that Z170 motherboards are about as expensive as Z370 boards still I'd just ditch everything and get Coffee Lake, those extra cores will do far more difference than BCLK overclock of a locked 4c/4t i5.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

IMO not worth the pain. There are some limitations to non-K OC, and there are degrees of broken-ness if you do it. Two known factors are AVX performance is crippled you might as well buy a Ryzen at that point. The other is per-core temperature monitoring doesn't work, but package temp still does. The potentially worst one is that you need an old microcode. This probably means no Spectre/Meltdown patches, and if Windows soft-loads microcode it can break the OC too.

If you have the stuff already and wanted to have a go to say you done it, maybe. If you have to buy stuff, look to upgrade instead.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible