CPU Cooling

beteng1

Hello everyone,

I had my Swiftech H320 for about 6 months now and it 'died' on me.  When i tried starting up my computer, I got an error about my CPU cooler.  I listened to it and it started hearing some noise inside the pump and there is quite a lot of vibration.  I then removed it and started using the stock Intel cooler.  I assumed that it might have been air bubbles stuck inside the pump so i hooked it up to one of the fan headers and started tilting both pump and radiator.  The noise is still there and I noticed how the pump is running really fast.  I did a reboot a couple of times and it sometimes work and sometimes it doesn’t.  This is the second time I have used an all in one liquid cooler.  I first used the H220, it broke completely after the 3rd week, returned it to NCIX and requested to get the H320 instead of the H220.

So that’s my story why I’m looking for air coolers now.   It seems like my luck with liquid coolers are bad so I’m looking around for a nice air cooler.  At the moment I don’t plan of overclocking my pc but probably in the future when I need to squeeze more performance in it.  I was thinking of getting NH-D14 but then it seems like I’m getting compatibility clearance with my RAM.  Would it be possible to just move the 120mm fan that comes included with it, to the back?  If it still would not work what other recommendations/suggestions can you guys give me?

Here are my specs:

NZXT Switch 810

Intel 4770K @ 3.5ghz

Asus Maximus VI Hero

Asus DCUII 780

16gb (2x8gb) Corsair Vengeance @ 1600mhz

Intel 335 SSD 240gb

Samsung 840 240gb

Corsair AX 860i

Thanks!

-Vince

post-29454-0-69504800-1390256776_thumb.j

Yes, you can just move the 120mm fan. I only use the 140mm fan by itself and it cools well but I think it's because of the ghetto mounted 140mm intake in my 5.25" bays that pushes air directly towards the heatsink.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

So thats my story why im looking for air coolers now.   it seems like my luck with liquid coolers are bad so im looking around for a nice air cooler.  At the moment i dont plan of overclocking my pc but probably in the future when i need to squeeze more performance in it.  I was thinking of getting NH-D14 but then it seems like im getting compatibility clearance with my RAM.  Would it be possible to just move the 120mm fan, that comes included with it, to the back?  If it still would not work what other recommendations/suggestions can you guys give me?

Are you using the original vengeance with the tall heatsink? 

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

yeh that one isn't compatible but you could do what woodenmarker said ^_^

CPU: i5 4670k with Noctua C12P-SE14 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 SSD: 250gb Samsung EVO MOBO: MSI Z87-G43 RAM: 8GB G-Skill 1600mhz PSU: Antec HCG 620W CASE: Corsair 300R windowed 

@beteng1 if you're worried about ram clearance you could go with the NH-U14S,cools only marginally worse than the D14 with a single fan (roughly on par when using second fan) and it's  much slimmer,although it's longer so it blocks the first Expansion slot slightly,although since you aren't using the fire expansion it shouldn't matter.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

Vengeance ram is pretty darn tall.

5877865454_f886a25f2b.jpg

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yes, you can just move the 120mm fan. I only use the 140mm fan by itself and it cools well but I think it's because of the ghetto mounted 140mm intake in my 5.25" bays that pushes air directly towards the heatsink.

yeh that one isn't compatible but you could do what woodenmarker said ^_^

i guess putting the 120 at the back would be better in my situation

@beteng1 if you're worried about ram clearance you could go with the NH-U14S,cools only marginally worse than the D14 with a single fan (roughly on par when using second fan) and it's  much slimmer,although it's longer so it blocks the first Expansion slot slightly,although since you aren't using the fire expansion it shouldn't matter.

thats a good option.. but since the U14S and D14 are the same price, would i be able to benefit more if I just use the 140mm fan? im just thinking since there are 2 'towers of fin'

How about the Bequiet Dark rock 3?

wow this one looks really nice! $72 vs $90 for D14 and U14S.  How is the performance difference between Dark Rock 3 vs NH-D14 and NH-U14S

Vengeance ram is pretty darn tall.

5877865454_f886a25f2b.jpg

lol i didnt expect it to be that tall :P

So far im leaning towards the D14 if i move the 120mm fan at the back(closer to the IO) since it would go nice with my Noctua fans.  Man that dark rock looks pretty sexy still.  I'll let you guys know at the end of the week and thanks for the inputs!

If U14S is put horizontally even fan won't block first slot. Or might contact slightly but its only plastic.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

you could get a proper cpu loop 240 kit with a bay res as the switch 810 is a great watercooling case and your ram is very limiting for air coolers. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

Noctua NH-U12S will fit without interfering with memory - that is what it is designed for. It performs about 2C worse than the NH-D14. The NH-U14S might interfere with a memory module in the 1st slot. Given that you only have two sticks, if the motherboard supports it, moving the modules to the other bank should resolve that problem. The NH-U14S performs better than the NH-D14.

Understandable that you are reluctant to try another AIO. Swiftech has a very good reputation for support, you may want to get in touch with them.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Corsair Vengeance memory (from top to bottom) are about 2" (or 5.5cm) tall.

GSkill RipJawsX are about 1.6" (4cm) tall.

GSKill RipJaws are about the same at the RipJawsX.

(I physically have each of the above so...)

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

hello,

just an update, i was able to get my hands on NH-D14.  I just lifted the 120mm so it doesnt interfere with the RAM modules.  I then tested its cooling by running prime95 for about 30 mins and i find that my temperatures are still high.
I already have changed the CPU Q Fan in the bios settings to advanced mode and have modified the fan controls at the CPU.  Any ideas if this is normal or reasons why its too high?

post-29454-0-62610500-1390673945_thumb.p

post-29454-0-26379100-1390673991.png

I forgot to add, here are my idle temps:

core 0 - 35C

core 1 - 34C

core 2 - 36C

core 3 - 34C

package - 35C

Thanks

-Vince

hello,

just an update, i was able to get my hands on NH-D14.  I just lifted the 120mm so it doesnt interfere with the RAM modules.  I then tested its cooling by running prime95 for about 30 mins and i find that my temperatures are still high.

I already have changed the CPU Q Fan in the bios settings to advanced mode and have modified the fan controls at the CPU.  Any ideas if this is normal or reasons why its too high?

. . .

I forgot to add, here are my idle temps:

core 0 - 35C

core 1 - 34C

core 2 - 36C

core 3 - 34C

package - 35C

Thanks

-Vince

Do not let your cpu get above 90C for any length of time.

If you are running stock speed and voltages the load temps are high. Prime95 has a tendency to abnormally push up temperatures but I wouldn't of expected temps in the 90C range.

Not sure where you are getting the idle temps you listed. According to the screen display the cores idle around 30C which is quite normal.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

Your volts are pretty high for stock clocks. With 4770K Turbo Boost raises clocks to 3.9GHz and volts to 1.27-.29. I can run mine with mild OC of 4.0 and bit conservative volts of 1.15V.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

• 2 weeks later...

Do not let your cpu get above 90C for any length of time.

If you are running stock speed and voltages the load temps are high. Prime95 has a tendency to abnormally push up temperatures but I wouldn't of expected temps in the 90C range.

Not sure where you are getting the idle temps you listed. According to the screen display the cores idle around 30C which is quite normal.

Yeah, as much as possible i dont want to leave it running over 85C for a long period of time. I worry too much about the temps.

I had a screen shot of the idle temps but it seems like i lost the picture.

Your volts are pretty high for stock clocks. With 4770K Turbo Boost raises clocks to 3.9GHz and volts to 1.27-.29. I can run mine with mild OC of 4.0 and bit conservative volts of 1.15V.

I had problems recently with the pc not booting up after a power surge.  Had to clear the cmos and it had returned all the cpu volts and speeds back to defaults(i think).  Now Im back to 1.156V and idling around 35C.

I believe that when i AI Suite's 4 way optimization, it had added more volts to the CPU core and thats the reason why i was getting high temps.  Since i have not planned on overclocking it yet, I'm just going to leave CPU alone for now.

Quick Update:

I went to NCIX last week after i recieved an email from Swiftech that NCIX can have my H320 exchanged for another H320.  Turns out they NCIX and Swiftech have arranged that canadians do not have to mail the pump to Swiftech, instead we can just exchange it to the store(NCIX) as long as we have the receipt and its still under warranty.  I'm still waiting for NCIX to receive the shipment of H320s so i can get it exchanged.  Some good news for me :)

Sorry guys, i just saw replies on this thread now.  Been busy with school.