Is the auxiliary port the same an WAN port?

MojangYang
Go to solution Solved by Syntaxvgm,
11 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

image.png.559e9e2ecdcb0068846ef940cfd82ff0.png

Right after I said wrong port, don't correct me because you read what you want. I'm talking about the router, as any reasonable person would assume, since I said that's the wrong port. He can use the router, and I talk about this because it's what he wants to do, find the right ports and use the router. I made the assumption that the router is limited to fast ethernet- could be gigabit, but I think the 2800 series is fast ethernet. Check the manual I uploaded if that detail is important, could be gigabit but I doubt it.

I mean if you didn't get it the first time this should have clued you in

18 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

I said wrong port. I should also have 2 regular fast ethernet ports on the back labled something like FE 0/0 and FE 0/1, am I wrong? Idk I uploaded the manual for him he can figure it out from there, he'll need to refer to the manual if he's never set a router up before.

Hi guys. I found a cisco 2811 router on eBay because it is cheap. But can i connect it to a separate modem? It has an AUX port but it looks like an rj11 port.

Don’t laugh at me if i missed something

No.  That is a serial port for router maintenance or low speed modems.

Its maximum serial throughput is 115.2 kbit/s or ~0.1 mbit/s

wrong port. But yea I'd assume you can use it with a modem. IIRC that's fast ethernet, so you'd be limited to 100Mb/s. But I could be getting the model wrong in my head. Here's the manual since the absolute fuckwads at cisco think it's ok to delete all documentation on their website when the product has reached end of life.

cisco 2800 series.pdf

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

10 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

wrong port. But yea I'd assume you can use it with a modem. IIRC that's fast ethernet, so you'd be limited to 100Mb/s. But I could be getting the model wrong in my head. Here's the manual since the absolute fuckwads at cisco think it's ok to delete all manuals and stuff on their website when the product has reached end of life.

cisco 2800 series.pdf

It is NOT ethernet.  It is serial for an analog (dial-up) modem so that the router can be managed remotely out of band.

Console and Auxiliary Port Considerations
The router includes an asynchronous serial console port and an auxiliary port. The console and auxiliary ports provide access to the router either locally using a console terminal connected to the console port, or remotely using a modem connected to the auxiliary port. This section discusses important cabling information to consider before connecting the router to a console terminal or modem.

There is a reason it is sitting right by the serial console port.

This is a common mix-up for home game network admins attempting to use commercial grade networking gear.

Also, I hope you like command line configuration as this router has no GUI.  You will need to find the esoteric router reset procedure to clear out old passwords as well.  In addition you need a Cisco serial console cable to connect to the router and configure it.

19 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

It is NOT ethernet.  It is serial for an analog (dial-up) modem so that the router can be managed remotely out of band.

There is a reason it is sitting right by the serial console port.

This is a common mix-up for home game network admins attempting to use commercial grade networking gear.

I said wrong port. I should also have 2 regular fast ethernet ports on the back labled something like FE 0/0 and FE 0/1, am I wrong? Idk I uploaded the manual for him he can figure it out from there, he'll need to refer to the manual if he's never set a router up before.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just now, Syntaxvgm said:

I said wrong port. I should also have 2 regular fast ethernet ports on the back, am I wrong? Idk I uploaded the manual for him he can figure it out from there.

OP was asking specifically about the AUX port.

On a router like this, any port can be the "WAN" port, you just have to configure it to function as such.

Just now, KarathKasun said:

OP was asking specifically about the AUX port.

On a router like this, any port can be the "WAN" port, you just have to configure it to function as such.

27 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

wrong port. But yea I'd assume you can use it with a modem. IIRC that's fast ethernet, so you'd be limited to 100Mb/s. But I could be getting the model wrong in my head. Here's the manual since the absolute fuckwads at cisco think it's ok to delete all documentation on their website when the product has reached end of life.

cisco 2800 series.pdf

muh specs 

All parts black

29 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

cisco 2800 series.pdf

11 minutes ago, KarathKasun said:

image.png.559e9e2ecdcb0068846ef940cfd82ff0.png

Right after I said wrong port, don't correct me because you read what you want. I'm talking about the router, as any reasonable person would assume, since I said that's the wrong port. He can use the router, and I talk about this because it's what he wants to do, find the right ports and use the router. I made the assumption that the router is limited to fast ethernet- could be gigabit, but I think the 2800 series is fast ethernet. Check the manual I uploaded if that detail is important, could be gigabit but I doubt it.

I mean if you didn't get it the first time this should have clued you in

18 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

muh specs 

All parts black

1 hour ago, Syntaxvgm said:

Yes it does have those FE ports on the back

9 hours ago, MojangYang said:

Yes it does have those FE ports on the back

You're probably going to need a console cable and a serial usb adapter. There's some that terminate in USB instead of db9 to save money. You'd probaby want to use something like putty on pc to manage it over the serial connection. 

muh specs 

All parts black