Crazy customer story #1 - Computer Repair Shop

1 hour ago, imreloadin said:

Real moral of the story here is that @SpookyCitrus should have not spent extra time doing stuff that the customer never requested and then should have presented a selection of options for the replacement part. If the client says "no" then slap the original parts back in it and send it on its way. This could have been handled in a much better way which would have made it into a win for both parties. If this had gone differently this guy could have even came back in a week or two after getting paid to buy the new RAM. Instead now he's just badmouthing your company everywhere since you basically screwed him out of his PC and now he'll never build one again. Thanks for being a "dickwad" as you so eloquently put it OP...

Why send him on his way when I can get an imaginary system for free, it is a story after all ;)

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

Phone: Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 4 - Phantom Black 512GB |

15 hours ago, Spotty said:

Considering the customer is complaining about gaming performance (and not say, intense workloads), the guy probably doesn't need a $250 2x16GB kit of ram. You can get 2x8GB 3000MHz RAM for about $80-$90 which would have fixed their problem. If you want the fancy, high end Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO 2x8GB it's about $120.
So, in regards to trying to sell him $250 parts when $80 (or $120 for the fancy, RGB version) parts would fix the problem and meet the customers needs, then yeah, you were in a way ripping them off. The customer was sensible to question how much you were charging for the parts as what you were quoting them was excessive and unnecessary for their needs.

The customer gets to decide whether or not the want to buy the parts from you. You can't force them to buy the parts if they don't want to. If the customer says "No, I don't want to spend $250 to fix the system" then you take the RAM out of the system, put the old RAM back in, and give the system back to them. You give them a report and say that your diagnosis has determined the performance issues to be related to the RAM, and that your recommendation is for a new RAM kit to be replaced and give suggestions on compatible models and the price of those models in your store.
You could charge whatever service/diagnostic fee that was initially agreed upon to find the fault, but that's really it. You can't force them to pay $250 for RAM they don't want. Likewise, the customer never asked you to perform those additional services you provided (cable management, etc), so you can't charge them for that either unless it was agreed upon prior and the customer was made aware that you would be performing those services and that there was a cost to those services.

So you tried to force a customer to pay for parts they didn't want, as well as charge for services they never requested... Then when they refused to pay for those charges that you had no right to charge for, you decided to steal their property and then sell it to make a profit?

It would be like taking your car to the mechanic for an oil change. Then when you go to pick up your car the next day, without you asking for it the mechanics have replaced the wheels, tyres, windscreen, and brakes, and then tell you that the you have to pay $2000 extra for the parts that you never wanted + additional $300 labour charges for services/work you didn't request. Then the mechanic steals your car and sells it because you refused to pay thousands of dollars extra for parts & services you didn't want/need or agree to.

This was a good one, thanks for the tips I'll definitely try to use them one day in my imaginary repair shop.

Main Desktop: CPU - i9-14900k | Mobo - Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite AX DDR4 | GPU - ASUS TUF Gaming OC RTX 4090 RAM - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 64GB 3600mhz | AIO - H150i Pro XT | PSU - Corsair RM1000X | Case - Phanteks P500A Digital - White | Storage - Samsung 970 Pro M.2 NVME SSD 512GB / Sabrent Rocket 1TB Nvme / Samsung 860 Evo Pro 500GB / Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2tb Nvme / Samsung 870 QVO 4TB  |

TV Streaming PC: Intel Nuc CPU - i7 8th Gen | RAM - 16GB DDR4 2666mhz | Storage - 256GB WD Black M.2 NVME SSD |

1 minute ago, imreloadin said:

Duly noted, reported for trolling...

Alright.

11 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

LMAO, it's so much better baiting here than on reddit. ;)

This paints you in an even worse light than your story does.... 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

vxt2iw.jpg.60d3e015433ccc31b9302b9fbb59a69f.jpg

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Is it really such a bad thing to write a short story and see if it's believable to people and see what their reactions are? Maybe I shouldn't have called it a bait post, what about social experiment? Not really trying to piss people off just trying to have some fun, maybe throw something completely idiotic into the woodwork and see peoples reactions too it. Sorry if it's not really acceptable here, I am new.

1 minute ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Is it really such a bad thing to write a short story and see if it's believable to people and see what their reactions are? Maybe I shouldn't have called it a bait post, what about social experiment? Not really trying to piss people off just trying to have some fun, maybe throw something completely idiotic into the woodwork and see peoples reactions too it. Sorry if it's not really acceptable here, I am new.

Someone needs to brush up on the CS...

Well I have bamboozled myself, I apologize.

10 minutes ago, SpookyCitrus said:

Yes. Because it basically means 1 of 2 things. 

1. The story did actually happen and you screwed a customer over, now you're trying to save face by saying "lolololol I troll you" instead of owning up to your mistakes and taking responsibility 

2. You made the story up for attention, you didn't get the reaction you wanted so now you're saying it's a troll post, meaning it's against forum rules and also instead of owning up to it, you're trying to play it off as a "social experiment". 

Gotta say, you got your attention, but your reputation isn't going to be great regardless of which of the above is true. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

Just now, Arika S said:

Yes. Because it basically means 1 of 2 things. 

1. The story did actually happen and you screwed a customer over, now you're trying to save face by saying "lolololol I troll you" instead of owning up to your mistakes and taking responsibility 

2. You made the story up for attention, you didn't get the reaction you wanted so now you're saying it's a troll post, meaning it's against forum rules and also instead of owning up to it, you're trying to play it off as a "social experiment". 

Gotta say, yout got attention, but your reputation isn't going to be great regardless of which of the above is true. 

Well I mean it's a fictional story, my only intent was to get a laugh out of people and or see how people would react to a moral vs moral, right or wrong type of story. I really didn't think people would get as heated as people are, again sorry if it's against the rules, I apologize if it's being taken the wrong way. I genuinely didn't mean any harm by it. If I broke the rules that's on me. 

1 hour ago, Geography said:

vxt2iw.jpg.60d3e015433ccc31b9302b9fbb59a69f.jpg

This is regardless :). And a good one.