can admin see cell text messages when cell on wifi?

hazeyez

I'm wondering if network admin of my employer can see my cell phone text messages when my cell phone is connected to wifi ?

Sounds like it would be possible if they really wanted to.

Please advise if it's even possible, and what the likelihood is of it happening based on technical difficulty?

Thanks!!!!

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

If you're using standard SMS texts and your phone supports sending messages over WiFi, then it would be trivial to read the message. A bit more work to view multimedia but still not overly difficult. SMS is rather insecure, which is why Apple and Google are pushing their own messaging apps which use more up to date and secure standards.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

12 hours ago, 2FA said:

If you're using standard SMS texts and your phone supports sending messages over WiFi, then it would be trivial to read the message. A bit more work to view multimedia but still not overly difficult. SMS is rather insecure, which is why Apple and Google are pushing their own messaging apps which use more up to date and secure standards.

Trivial as unimportant, but still possible? If sent via SMS over wifi.

With Samsung's Galaxy phones being used by both users, by default the messages are sent by "chat" which I believe is some sort of user-to-user web based chat? Not exactly sure but it sounds to me like you're saying that it would be very easy to do?

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

22 minutes ago, hazeyez said:

Trivial as unimportant, but still possible? If sent via SMS over wifi.

With Samsung's Galaxy phones being used by both users, by default the messages are sent by "chat" which I believe is some sort of user-to-user web based chat? Not exactly sure but it sounds to me like you're saying that it would be very easy to do?

Trivial as in easy. It depends on the exact app and whether or not it uses "standard" SMS or if it actually uses something secure and only refers to the messages as SMS. The admin would have to go out of their way to see them though unless you work in, for example, a classified environment.

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

At least with Verizon, all their wifi calling/texting is using a VPN so it'd be next to impossible to intercept it.

5 hours ago, 2FA said:

Trivial as in easy. It depends on the exact app and whether or not it uses "standard" SMS or if it actually uses something secure and only refers to the messages as SMS. The admin would have to go out of their way to see them though unless you work in, for example, a classified environment.

@2FA its the standard text messaging on Samsung Galaxy via Android operating system.

Its not a classified environment, but its a sales company that tries to thwart stealing customer information. They monitor out computers very carefully and it makes me believe that if they could do it, they would try to intercept text messages if they could.

So it is poasible if my phone is connected to wifi? Whether it be standard SMS / multimedia texts, or the samsung "chat" system i mentioned above?

Its not like im trying to do anything illegal, but to be honest the girlfriend of the company's COO is having an affair with me (and she works there and may sometimes be on wifi) and there are some pretty intense conversations that we would not like to be seen obviously.

So what's done is already done, but what can I do to avoid this in the future? Please give me your best suggestions. A VPN as mentioned by the other guy I feel wouldn't solve anything as they can still be seen. 

Thanks a lot

Not sure what you mean about "can still be seen" about a VPN.  All they can see is the VPN, not what is being sent over it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

18 hours ago, hazeyez said:

So what's done is already done, but what can I do to avoid this in the future? Please give me your best suggestions. A VPN as mentioned by the other guy I feel wouldn't solve anything as they can still be seen. 

VPNs would in fact solve it but there's a good chance they have them blocked, I know I would if I was their IT. The obvious solution is stop having said conversations while at work.