Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redrooster

Updating Drivers

Posted · Original PosterOP

Okay, so when I started my pc adventure my friend installed driver booster. I've been using it for years now, what's the non-noob way to update drivers?

Get drivers from the manufacturers websites, never use software like driver booster.  The major critical ones most people would be updating are GPU drivers.  Besides that I tend to leave the rest to Windows update, and if I need a new BIOS for my motherboard do that myself.

Windows already updates any drivers it needs to.

You don't need to touch anything yourself.

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | ASUS GTX770 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Ducky ONE White TKL RGB | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Posted · Original PosterOP
2 hours ago, Snipergod87 said:

Get drivers from the manufacturers websites, never use software like driver booster.  The major critical ones most people would be updating are GPU drivers.  Besides that I tend to leave the rest to Windows update, and if I need a new BIOS for my motherboard do that myself.

Does the "GeForce Experience" cover GPU drivers? I remember back in 2014, I had to manually install a driver update for an old Nvidia card. So I should just use windows update and GeForce Experience for new GPUs? How will I be able to tell when I need to update my drivers?

On 3/26/2019 at 7:55 AM, Redrooster said:

Does the "GeForce Experience" cover GPU drivers? I remember back in 2014, I had to manually install a driver update for an old Nvidia card. So I should just use windows update and GeForce Experience for new GPUs? How will I be able to tell when I need to update my drivers?

GFE is ok. But in honest, no driver really needs to updated until something doesn't work as expected. I haven't updated my GPU drivers in 1+ year. Mainly since I don't play newest games. Other drivers are updated by Windows, or prompt for updating when new version is available (Steelseries mouse).

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv