Is the motherboard fine to lay in the case (on its side)?

Orcanito

This is a temp case he's just going to be using for 2 days til his official one arrives, is it okay if the standoff screws are not mounted to the case as we don't have them? It shouldn't make a difference so long as we don't move it, correct? 

Bad idea. Terrible idea. Incredibly awful idea. Just set it on top of the motherboard box and run it that way, open-air, if you need it.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

At the very least have some cardboard between the motherboard and the case

The standoffs are there for a reason, to keep metal bits on the back of the motherboard from touching the metal case.

As aisle9 says, it would be easier to just have the motherboard IN or ON the motherboard cardboard box (ideally on the non-shiny parts, regular cardboard, if the box has those fancy shiny print on it)

incredibly bad idea, you must have stand off screws so the board doesn't short or fry itself through case surface direct contact. an alternate i would suggest is to lat on the motherboard box it came in if your idea is to use it laying sideways , you can work on it as a temporary test bed or whatever. i have personally used this method for over a week  with no issues on my old sempron board.

Details separate people.