Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bigmouthbob1

Need help with port forwarding

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

So I was making a game server for Minecraft and everything worked fine with that, but then I went to set up port forwarding and I have no idea how to do that, so if someone could list the steps to do that or if you want to get on a discord call that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

Web GUI? Where would I find that?

Open cmd and type in ipconfig. Under default gateway, you will find the IP address of your router. Put that IP into your web browser and you should be in your router's GUI.


WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
22 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

Open cmd and type in ipconfig. Under default gateway, you will find the IP address of your router. Put that IP into your web browser and you should be in your router's GUI.

Ok I got there and logged in, now what

Link to post
Share on other sites

There should be a setting for port forwarding somewhere in there. Maybe hit up google with "[Your Router model] port forwarding"


WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

There should be a setting for port forwarding somewhere in there. Maybe hit up google with "[Your Router model] port forwarding"

Ok I found this screen, now what

B187C237-64D7-4DAA-8F44-A54EFC31A5C7.jpeg

Link to post
Share on other sites

What ports exactly do you want to forward and what protocol should be used (e.g. Teamspeak uses Port 9987 TCP)


WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

What ports exactly do you want to forward and what protocol should be used (e.g. Teamspeak uses Port 9987 TCP)

That’s the part I’m confused on, I’m just trying to run a Minecraft server

Link to post
Share on other sites

According to the Minecraft Wiki, it's port 25565 TCP.

EDIT: So put TCP for protocol and enter 25565 in both port start fields and both port end fields (local and wan). Then set the device to the machine the server is running on and you should be good to go.


WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

According to the Minecraft Wiki, it's port 25565 TCP.

EDIT: So put TCP for protocol and enter 25565 in both port start fields and both port end fields (local and wan). Then set the device to the machine the server is running on and you should be good to go.

Should I have the device selected or the IP address selected

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bigmouthbob1 said:

Should I have the device selected or the IP address selected

Doesn't make a difference. Your router knows what IP address is behind every device name. Just use whatever you find easier.


WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
8 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

Doesn't make a difference. Your router knows what IP address is behind every device name. Just use whatever you find easier.

Also what do you mean by set the device to the machine it’s running on. EDIT: when I start the server up it pops up with this, so should I put this in instead of 25565

image.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

Also what do you mean by set the device to the machine it’s running on. EDIT: when I start the server up it pops up with this, so should I put this in instead of 25565

image.jpg

Maybe try port 19132 then. What I mean by setting the device is, that you should set the "device" dropdown field on your router to the computer that's running the Minecraft server (probably either your gaming rig or a dedicated server on your network).


WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

Link to post
Share on other sites

and when you are connecting to the server, if it is hosted on the same PC you are playing Minecraft on for the server address put localhost:19132 If you are connecting to a dedicated server on your network go to ipconfig in the cmd prompt on the PC where the server is being hosted from and look for IPv4 Address (Ex: 192.168.16.115) and use that instead of localhost when connecting so when you type in the server address it should look like this dedicatedserveraddress:19132

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 hours ago, gk4622 said:

In your router put the port start at 25565 and then set the port end at 19132

would it be the other way around?

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

would it be the other way around?

no, the start port get forwarded to the end port

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
7 hours ago, gk4622 said:

and when you are connecting to the server, if it is hosted on the same PC you are playing Minecraft on for the server address put localhost:19132 If you are connecting to a dedicated server on your network go to ipconfig in the cmd prompt on the PC where the server is being hosted from and look for IPv4 Address (Ex: 192.168.16.115) and use that instead of localhost when connecting so when you type in the server address it should look like this dedicatedserveraddress:19132

what if someone else is connecting to my computer from another network

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

so do you mean that i need to both LAN to 26656 and both the WAN to 19132?

the other way around

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×