Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Arooon

Low GPU usage giving me low FPS [Overwatch]

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hey everyone,

 

I have a pretty temporary gaming setup while I save up for a full pc build at the end of the year. I use an overclocked GTX 960 2GB which I picked up for a very low price and it’s been serving me really well. I play Doom 4 on it perfectly with FPS never dropping below 60 at nice looking graphics.

 

However on Overwatch it’s another story. In the training arena or even bot games my GPU usage will be at 80-95% usage giving me tonnes and tonnes of FPS - which is what you want with a competitive game like overwatch. However in real matches my GPU will often fall down to as low as 60% usage and drop my FPS to the low 40s! Creating horrible drops that are more than noticeable.

 

I’ve tried many things like capping FPS to 60, turning up resolution scaling and graphics settings (the latter I think made a bit of an improvement), feeding my GOU more voltage, even enabling constant voltage (afterburner) and kboost (precision 16), removing my OC as I know Overwatch has issues with OC’d GPUs sometimes but I still get frame rate drops when my GPU decides to stop working as hard!

 

When I capped my frame rate to 60 my GPU went to an even lower usage which is understandable - it shouldn’t need to work hard to keep 60 FPS in Overwatch, but the drops went *even lower*!

 

I have spent many hours trying to find some miracle way to “always have my GPU working at 100%” with no luck as GPUs aren’t meant to do this and only work as hard as they should. Mine works less hard when it should be working more hard - but only in Overwatch...

 

Any help would be much appreciated!

 

Thank you!

 

TL;DR GPU drops to low usage in more demanding scenarios **only in Overwatch** and gives me low FPS

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
9 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

@Arooon

We need full system specs

Alright, might be a bit different to what you usually deal with:

i5-4210U

GTX 960 2GB (eGPU) 

8GB RAM

1TB SSHD

 

My CPU bottlenecks my GPU in CPU intensive games (it does so in Doom). If the CPU was indeed bottlenecking my GPU in Overwatch would this prevent the usage going to 100% and causing the drops? Strange that my GPU usage is never dropped in other games even though I know it’s bottlenecked in those games... (like Doom again).

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Arooon said:

My CPU bottlenecks my GPU in CPU intensive games (it does so in Doom). If the CPU was indeed bottlenecking my GPU in Overwatch would this prevent the usage going to 100% and causing the drops? Strange that my GPU usage is never dropped in other games even though I know it’s bottlenecked in those games... (like Doom again).

Yes.

 

Doom likely has less overall amount of work to complete, but the amount of spare time the CPU has isn't enough to feed the GPU to 100%. When playing Overwatch online, it can be potentially more taxing than playing with bots (unless you are playing with like 32+ bots), so this means the CPU has even less time to send GPU stuff to do and depending on what's going on, there can be spikes of processing to do that will cause sudden drops in frame rate.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Yes.

 

Doom likely has less overall amount of work to complete, but the amount of spare time the CPU has isn't enough to feed the GPU to 100%. When playing Overwatch online, it can be potentially more taxing than playing with bots (unless you are playing with like 32+ bots), so this means the CPU has even less time to send GPU stuff to do and depending on what's going on, there can be spikes of processing to do that will cause sudden drops in frame rate.

Ahh okay, thank you! Is there anyway that I can try and minimise this or the effect of this? (Unfortunately I cannot upgrade my CPU) I close any background applications and set my game to high priority in task manager.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Arooon said:

Ahh okay, thank you! Is there anyway that I can try and minimise this or the effect of this? (Unfortunately I cannot upgrade my CPU) I close any background applications and set my game to high priority in task manager.

Outside of upgrading the CPU, doing that may help, but not by much.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
6 minutes ago, Mira Yurizaki said:

Outside of upgrading the CPU, doing that may help, but not by much.

Okay, thank you so much for the help! I guess it’s just another reason to look forward to my full build.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Arooon said:

Alright, might be a bit different to what you usually deal with:

i5-4210U

GTX 960 2GB (eGPU) 

8GB RAM

1TB SSHD

 

My CPU bottlenecks my GPU in CPU intensive games (it does so in Doom). If the CPU was indeed bottlenecking my GPU in Overwatch would this prevent the usage going to 100% and causing the drops? Strange that my GPU usage is never dropped in other games even though I know it’s bottlenecked in those games... (like Doom again).

Yeah you're hitting a hard CPU bottleneck. That's a really old, really slow dual core CPU. Honestly any CPU recent quad core CPU would be a good upgrade. I've seen R5 1600+B350 motherboard combos go for under $200 on microcenter. That would be a great upgrade path. 



Main System: EVGA GTX 1080 SC, i7 8700, 16GB DDR4 Corsair LPX 3000mhz CL15, Asus Z370 Prime A, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R5, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 500gb Samsung 850 Evo
Secondary System: EVGA GTX 780ti SC, i5 3570k @ 4.5ghz, 16gb DDR3 1600mhz, MSI Z77 G43, Noctua NH D15, EVGA GQ 650W, Fractal Design Define R4, 3TB WD Caviar Blue, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo
 
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
5 hours ago, Zeitec said:

Yeah you're hitting a hard CPU bottleneck. That's a really old, really slow dual core CPU. Honestly any CPU recent quad core CPU would be a good upgrade. I've seen R5 1600+B350 motherboard combos go for under $200 on microcenter. That would be a great upgrade path. 

Thanks for the help, an honestly I would ig I could! Unfortunately I’m on a laptop (Lenovo Z50-70) with an external GPU. It’s a temporary set up until I build a full gaming PC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Arooon said:

Alright, might be a bit different to what you usually deal with:

i5-4210U

GTX 960 2GB (eGPU) 

8GB RAM

1TB SSHD

 

My CPU bottlenecks my GPU in CPU intensive games (it does so in Doom). If the CPU was indeed bottlenecking my GPU in Overwatch would this prevent the usage going to 100% and causing the drops? Strange that my GPU usage is never dropped in other games even though I know it’s bottlenecked in those games... (like Doom again).

Literally nothing you can do about it with those specs. You will get drops under 60fps with any cpu that has 4 or less threads.


PC: CPU - 8700K 4.8ghz -1avx 1.224V  |  GPU - 5700XT 2100mhz 1.145V target  |  Motherboard - Aorus Z390 Pro Wifi | RAM - Ballistix sport LT 3200mhz red @ 3800mhz 15-20-20-35 1T 1.428V  |  Cooler - nh-d15  |  SSD - 960 evo 250GB, mx300 750GB, mx500 500GB  |  PSU - 750W G2  |   Case - Cooler Master MasterBox 5

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
4 hours ago, alatron978 said:

Literally nothing you can do about it with those specs. You will get drops under 60fps with any cpu that has 4 or less threads.

Luckily I very very rarely drop under 60 FPS with the optimisations I’ve done to my laptop, but yeah my cpu really holds me back. However this is just a temporary setup until I build a gaming PC later in the year and works fine for my needs at the moment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×