Overclocking AMD Ryzen 2 2700?

2 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

Well, it's 4Ghz, and 1,34 and it booted, but now my CPU is 83 *C under stress test. is that to high?

@GoldenLag Welp, it crashed on a CPU video render. I guess OC-ing is a no go here. :P

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

6 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

@GoldenLag Welp, it crashed on a CPU video render. I guess OC-ing is a no go here. :P

Keep dropping voltage. Asus mobos arent great for overclocking

6 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

@GoldenLag I went to run Cinebench R15 and it went black. still 40.00x and 1.33v

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 3.2Ghz Pinnacle Ridge | Asus Prime X570-Pro | Corsair Vengeances RGB PRO 64GB 3200Mhz | EVGA Nvidia Geforce 3060 XC | EVGA G2 SuperNova 750 Watt PSU

2 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

Keep dropping voltage. Asus mobos arent great for overclocking

So do I do, 1.25?

@GoldenLag I tried 1.30 and as soon as I went to run Cinebench, the system crashed. I don't think it's worth it. It's just not liking it. What else is there to do?

EDIT: 1 Should I set it to auto and see what the motherboard decides?

EDIT 2: What if I tried 38.00x and like 1.33?

EDIT 3: I turned off precision Boost in the bios as that was something jay did to keep the voltage where he defined it, and not let the motherboard try to go beyond what he, and myself, set.

EDIT 4: I Sort of reverted everything back, set TPU 1, left Voltage auto, and the Bios set the multipler to 34.00. I am starting to think that the 2700 doesn't like 40.00. Gonna go back to the bios and try 35.00.

EDIT 5: Ok I think I know where it went wrong, my CPU doesn't like 40.00, but it is ok with 36.00

27 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

@GoldenLag I tried 1.30 and as soon as I went to run Cinebench, the system crashed. I don't think it's worth it. It's just not liking it. What else is there to do?

EDIT 3: I turned off precision Boost in the bios as that was something jay did to keep the voltage where he defined it, and not let the motherboard try to go beyond what he, and myself, set.

EDIT 4: I Sort of reverted everything back, set TPU 1, left Voltage auto, and the Bios set the multipler to 34.00. I am starting to think that the 2700 doesn't like 40.00. Gonna go back to the bios and try 35.00.

EDIT 5: Ok I think I know where it went wrong, my CPU doesn't like 40.00, but it is ok with 36.00

Did you watch the videos I posted? Why don't you just increase Precision Boost limits, let the mainboard do its thing and see how that goes? I mean, it's Buildzoid AND Der8auer saying that - and those are two of the top 5 worldwide overclockers.

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

Just now, Hans Power said:

Did you watch the videos I posted? Why don't you just increase Precision Boost limits, let the mainboard do its thing and see how that goes? I mean, it's Buildzoid AND Der8auer saying that - and those are two of the top 5 worldwide overclockers.

I hadn't yet because I wanted to try with the information @GoldenLag Had given me first.

54 minutes ago, Hans Power said:

Also too, that didn't make much of a difference when I did. And it could vary as far as results from Motherboard to motherboard.

Not to mention, I am not doing single-threaded workloads, I am doing video rendering and live streaming.

7 hours ago, _Grid21 said:

If you can only do 3,6. Dont OC at all.

Try 1,375 volts.

Though if that doesnt work then you might aswell not OC at all.

If you can only do 3,6. Dont OC at all.

Try 1,375 volts.

Though if that doesnt work then you might aswell not OC at all.

I don't understand why 40.00x didn't work, unless I didn't change enough deep settings?

10 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

I don't understand why 40.00x didn't work, unless I didn't change enough deep settings?

Could be mobo, could be cooler and could be silicon lottery.

I doubt its the to latter ones.

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Could be mobo, could be cooler and could be silicon lottery.

I doubt its the to latter ones.

Would water cooling with a Corsair H100i v2? How do I tell which one was having a cow?

Just now, _Grid21 said:

How do I tell which one was having a cow?

Check VRM temps using harfware monitor. If those go to 120*C. We have found our culprit. 

1 minute ago, _Grid21 said:

Would water cooling with a Corsair H100i v2?

A little bit. Though a good aircooler is a much better choice.

We are temp limited a bit

1 minute ago, GoldenLag said:

Check VRM temps using harfware monitor. If those go to 120*C. We have found our culprit. 

A little bit. Though a good aircooler is a much better choice.

We are temp limited a bit

Which one of these is VRM readings?? http://prntscr.com/n2z8c7

3 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

Which one of these is VRM readings?? http://prntscr.com/n2z8c7

You can post print screens on the forum btw. 

Um. Whichever of them is not labeled CPU. 

Believe its one of the 3 under temps labeled "int"

You can post print screens on the forum btw. 

Um. Whichever of them is not labeled CPU. 

Believe its one of the 3 under temps labeled "int"

Is there a better software that can read the VRM readings better for better monitoring?

22 minutes ago, _Grid21 said:

Is there a better software that can read the VRM readings better for better monitoring?

Hardware monitor is probably the best.

Just reads out the temps clearly. 

1 hour ago, _Grid21 said:

HWiNFO64

CPU: AMD R5 5600x | Mainboard: MSI MAG B550m Mortar Wifi | RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix 3200 Rev E | GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor | Case: Xigmatek Aquila | PSU: Corsair RM650i | SSDs: Crucial BX300 120GB | Samsung 840 EVO 120GB | Crucial m500 120GB | HDDs: 2x Seagate Barracuda 4TB | CPU Cooler: Scythe Fuma 2 | Casefans: Bitfenix Spectre LED red 200mm (Intake), Bequiet Pure Wings 2 140mm (Exhaust) | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit

13 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

Hardware monitor is probably the best.

Just reads out the temps clearly. 

12 hours ago, Hans Power said:

HWiNFO64

Thanks! To address both of you, I am not ready to give up so easily. I am gonna try a few things and see if they work, and if not, then if anything, I got the experience of trying to overclock which has been a personal life goal of mine.

EDIT: Apparently according to HWiNFO64 41x00 is a supported speed. So what gives?

EDIT 2: Does the clock speed in this case how to do with the memory speed?

EDIT 3: I called Asus and they actually helped me understand what to set, and they told me since I am not using an AIO to just set the ratio to 35.00x, TPU 1, VDDCR CPU Power Phase control to "optimized" Precision Boost disabled, and performance Bias to "none". So I went from 3.20Ghz for a base clock to 3.50Ghz base. Not much, but I assume until I go to an AIO, that's the best I can do.

Screenshot_5.png

Any other thoughts on this post guys? I still don't know why I am hitting a wall with not being able to hit 40.00x unless it is because of my stock cooler.

EDIT 1: Btw this video was a ton of help understanding DIGI+ VRM controls.

11 hours ago, _Grid21 said:

Any other thoughts on this post guys? I still don't know why I am hitting a wall with not being able to hit 40.00x unless it is because of my stock cooler.

Dude, you're running a stock cooler? For any kind of decent overclocking you need a pretty beefy aircooler at the very least or better, a 240mm AIO. Even with my Dark Rock 3 which is a pretty big 140mm cooler I'm still temperature limited on my i5-4690k. I'm running at 4.3 GHZ (+400Mhz) @1.210v and temps go up to 80°C, so with an AIO I could easily go up to 4.5 Ghz. There's no guarantee, of course - in the end you're still playing the silicon lottery after all.

13 hours ago, _Grid21 said:

Since you were talking about overclocking I wasn't aware that the advertised Turbo speed is actually 4.1 Ghz so your Ryzen 2700 should hit that out of the box with stock Bios settings and maybe even the stock CPU cooler. So as a baseline - what is the max clock your CPU hits with BIOS defaults and what are the CPU temperatures during high CPU loads like stresstesting or gaming?

1 hour ago, Hans Power said:

Since you were talking about overclocking I wasn't aware that the advertised Turbo speed is actually 4.1 Ghz so your Ryzen 2700 should hit that out of the box with stock Bios settings and maybe even the stock CPU cooler. So as a baseline - what is the max clock your CPU hits with BIOS defaults and what are the CPU temperatures during high CPU loads like stresstesting or gaming?

The max it'll hit is 3.30Ghz and that's also using AMD's Ryzen Power Plan in Windows which got created on it's own. The base clock is 3.20Ghz, so it's running below advertised speed.

1 hour ago, _Grid21 said:

The max it'll hit is 3.30Ghz and that's also using AMD's Ryzen Power Plan in Windows which got created on it's own. The base clock is 3.20Ghz, so it's running below advertised speed.

And what are the CPU temps during full load?

2 hours ago, Hans Power said:

And what are the CPU temps during full load?

About 58 *C when running Cinebench R15, but when I am streaming and gaming, it's about 55 to 57 give or take.