Power Cable Woes

Over the years I have had so many power cables break on me it is driving me insane! Below I have attached a picture of my current power cable. It has sticks in it wraped in electrical tape to

prevent it from bending and breaking.

JPEG_20190123_144931.thumb.jpg.1af323e7ec62f40ef9801638ad655209.jpg

(Later with the addition of blue duck-tape on the bottom part).

This came after a long evolution of trying to stop cords from breaking, and failing.

First I tried just wrapping a few layers of painters tape around the critical points (the part that plugs in,

where the cord meets the adapter, etc.) That eventually failed, then I tried doing that but also detaching the bottom

cable and carefully and painstakingly wrapping both cords so there are not any sharp bends and putting it in the

container you see a bit of off to the left (lid on the right). That eventually failed as well, then I tried duck tape and being

super carefull -- didnt work, then I tried electrical tape, worked ~better which brings us to modern day (after

7 years of cords breaking). The picture above is a picture of the cord when it was new (I had to purchase a replacement

for my newer laptop, which I had too replace because alas the tape got too it too late. However a couple weeks ago I noticed

I had to bend the end of the cord at a specific angle to power the computer:

20190325_134204.thumb.jpg.af6c0b31782a4981f75d55bff7955b6d.jpg

I thought the pin inside for the negative/positive lead was bending, or the power outlet was breaking, this was not the case,

just yesterday this happened:

20190325_134149.thumb.jpg.c6c05a5eb2cfc86645bb7a3779420035.jpg

I... CANT... WIN...

So the cord itself is fine but it is now only a matter of time before the actual plug breaks.

I am sick of paying for these cords I do my best to take good care of them, but all the laptops I have had (currently Lenovo Y700)

have had the inexplicable design where the cord sticks horizontally out of the laptop and vertically out of the adapter.

I am tired of my cords breaking and buying new ones (these days I can get knockoffs for 20$ but they used to be 60$ - 80$ for a replacement),

it disrupts my school work, gaming/relaxation, personal projects, and its overall a pain.

Does anyone know of an intelligently designed cord that I can replace this on with for a low price, or have any suggestions

as to how to handle this issue. I have tried repairing them with not much success and thought it too risky to actually plug any in.

Thank you

- TFB

You spent more money on electrical tape, than a third party replacement power supply for your laptop. All this tape is a danger (not the tape itself, of course, but the damaged wire and power supply that the tape covers). Any damaged power supply can potentially put your life and others (where you live) at risk. Keep in mind that if you do electrical work and it was found to be cause of a fire, insurance company will not cover you in the case of fire as you are not a certified electrical engineer (they'll find anything to not cover you).

Usually, the power connector in a laptop is not soldered on, but is a connector that you can unplug and replace. See on if you can get a replacement part. They are usually a few dollars.  If you think it is broken, see in replace it.

You can buy just the cables with barrel jack connectors at the end, here's a bunch of them : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/cable-assemblies/barrel-power-cables/464

Just figure out the barrel jack used on your adapter and then you can crack open the case of your adapter and solder the wires from the cable to your adapter where the old cable is soldered to.

Would adapters like this help you :  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F8Z3MM3/ or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FYYOWVU ?

Then you could buy a bunch of these and use one of those compatible adapters with the round barrel jack to power your laptop. If you pull on the cable, chances are the connection would break at the barrel jack instead of the square connector that goes in your laptop.

22 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

You spent more money on electrical tape, then buying a third party replacement power supply for your laptop.

Also, this is a electrical danger, which you are putting your life, and others (where you live) at risk. And insurance company will not cover you in the case of fire.

Usually, the power connector in a laptop is not soldered on, but is a connector that you can unplug and replace. See on if you can get a replacement part. They are usually a few dollars.  If you think it is broken, see in replace it.

Thank you for the reply!

As far as the electrical danger goes, are you referring to the bad connector?

For the second part are you referring to something like this https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Connector-Replacement-Lenovo-DC30100Q500/dp/B013DYOT4C/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lenovo+power+connector&link_code=qs&qid=1553538765&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-3

?

23 minutes ago, mariushm said:

You can buy just the cables with barrel jack connectors at the end, here's a bunch of them : https://www.digikey.com/products/en/cable-assemblies/barrel-power-cables/464

Just figure out the barrel jack used on your adapter and then you can crack open the case of your adapter and solder the wires from the cable to your adapter where the old cable is soldered to.

Would adapters like this help you :  https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F8Z3MM3/ or https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FYYOWVU ?

Then you could buy a bunch of these and use one of those compatible adapters with the round barrel jack to power your laptop. If you pull on the cable, chances are the connection would break at the barrel jack instead of the square connector that goes in your laptop.

Thanks for the reply!

To clarify, are you suggesting I modify the adapter itself so that instead of the current cord coming from it, it has one of the cords you linked on digikey coming from it, and then I use one of those cords available on amazon so that even if the connector breaks I can replace it?

Second possibility, is there a way to know if an adapter with a standard 7.7mm or 10mm barrel adapter on it, is compatible with my laptop then hook up one of those adapters from amazon too it?

17 minutes ago, TheFloatingBrain said:

Thank you for the reply!

As far as the electrical danger goes, are you referring to the bad connector?

For the second part are you referring to something like this https://www.amazon.com/Charging-Connector-Replacement-Lenovo-DC30100Q500/dp/B013DYOT4C/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=lenovo+power+connector&link_code=qs&qid=1553538765&s=gateway&sourceid=Mozilla-search&sr=8-3

?

Yup

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

Yup

Thank you for replying. I have been inside power cables before and usually what I find is a normal wire inside some sort of fibery stuff with metal fibers outside that layer and it seems pretty hard to patch up. I see in the picture that it looks like there is a small wire with a plug on the end which would seem to imply I have to cut open the cord. Is that correct and if so how do I go about it/patching it up?

I appreciate and find your your response useful but I would also like to point out I am looking for a general solution to this question. This is the first time the connector specifically has broken, usually the wire inside the cord snaps.

3 minutes ago, TheFloatingBrain said:

Thank you for replying. I have been inside power cables before and usually what I find is a normal wire inside some sort of fibery stuff with metal fibers outside that layer and it seems pretty hard to patch up. I see in the picture that it looks like there is a small wire with a plug on the end which would seem to imply I have to cut open the cord. Is that correct and if so how do I go about it/patching it up?

huh? No, I was talking about the power connector for the LAPTOP, which is what you also linked. The power connector that you connect your laptop power supply too. I am saying, if you suspect that it is broken, you can replace it somewhat low cost.

The power supply should be recycled or thrown away. Get another one, or get universal third party power supply one like I included.

Just make sure that the wattage is good, and pick he you like best that fits your budget.

You should not open power supplies unless you know really know what you do, and you have the appropriate discharging tools.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

huh? No, I am talking about the power connector for the LAPTOP, which is what you also linked.

The power supply should be recycled or thrown away. Get another one, or get universal third party power supply one like I included.

Just make sure that the wattage is good, and pick he you like best that fits your budget.

Oh, sorry I was confused as to what your saying. Thank you.

Just now, TheFloatingBrain said:

Oh, sorry I was confused as to what your saying. Thank you.

Sorry about that, I had some bad sentences and typos. I fixed those to be a bit more clear.

Just now, GoodBytes said:

Sorry about that, I had some bad sentences and typos. I fixed those to be a bit more clear.

No problem all cool, ty

On 3/25/2019 at 3:07 PM, GoodBytes said:

So update, there is a problen with this, A: I still dont mnow for sure that the main part of the cord wont snap internally B: It dosent seem like there are 135 Watt (what I am using right now) Universal Power Supplies for sale.

Update/Bump

I bought another rip off cable, its not a universal supply for the reason I described above. And I have been without my PC since Sunday and will be until at least friday. Which is a shame because I could be working on a project for my computer science class and another for my physics class right now and I wont be able too next week. I really could use some advice on this issue. i am careful to treat my cables well but this always happens and it shouldent.

Hello, 

This is a repost from the prebuilt laptops forum. Unfortunatly the topic has been buried and the solution provided isent going to work :(

Over the years I have had so many power cables break on me it is driving me insane! Below I have attached a picture of my current power cable. It has sticks in it wraped in electrical tape to

prevent it from bending and breaking.

JPEG_20190123_144931.thumb.jpg.1af323e7ec62f40ef9801638ad655209.jpg

(Later with the addition of blue duck-tape on the bottom part).

This came after a long evolution of trying to stop cords from breaking, and failing.

First I tried just wrapping a few layers of painters tape around the critical points (the part that plugs in,

where the cord meets the adapter, etc.) That eventually failed, then I tried doing that but also detaching the bottom

cable and carefully and painstakingly wrapping both cords so there are not any sharp bends and putting it in the

container you see a bit of off to the left (lid on the right). That eventually failed as well, then I tried duck tape and being

super carefull -- didnt work, then I tried electrical tape, worked ~better which brings us to modern day (after

7 years of cords breaking). The picture above is a picture of the cord when it was new (I had to purchase a replacement

for my newer laptop, which I had too replace because alas the tape got too it too late. However a couple weeks ago I noticed

I had to bend the end of the cord at a specific angle to power the computer:

20190325_134204.thumb.jpg.af6c0b31782a4981f75d55bff7955b6d.jpg

I thought the pin inside for the negative/positive lead was bending, or the power outlet was breaking, this was not the case,

just yesterday this happened:

20190325_134149.thumb.jpg.c6c05a5eb2cfc86645bb7a3779420035.jpg

I... CANT... WIN...

So the cord itself is fine but it is now only a matter of time before the actual plug breaks.

I am sick of paying for these cords I do my best to take good care of them, but all the laptops I have had (currently Lenovo Y700)

have had the inexplicable design where the cord sticks horizontally out of the laptop and vertically out of the adapter.

I am tired of my cords breaking and buying new ones (these days I can get knockoffs for 20$ but they used to be 60$ - 80$ for a replacement),

it disrupts my school work, gaming/relaxation, personal projects, and its overall a pain.

Does anyone know of an intelligently designed cord that I can replace this on with for a low price, or have any suggestions

as to how to handle this issue. I have tried repairing them with not much success and thought it too risky to actually plug any in.

It was suggested to me over on the prebuilt topic that I get a universal adapter and swap out the head when it breaks, but there are several problenlms with this:

1: There dont seem to be universal adapters availible that support the 135W I need

2: Its not always the head that breaks, now this can be meant in two ways it can be meant by the connector breaking like now, or the cord breaking internally near the head. In the ladder the cord doesebt awlays hreak near the head, sometimes it is where the cord comes out of the power brick.

3: Its not really a "general solution the the problem.

For another little update. I have another replacment cord being shipped to me (not a univerasal one). I have been without my laptop since Sunday now and will be until Friday as the connector jas now completly torn off and the cord wont be here until thursday evening and my campus mail office wont open until the followimg morning. This is disrupting not only as just a general pain but I could be spending this time working on ny computer science and physics projects where as next week I will be cramming for 2 exams.

Any help is greatly appreciated to help prevent this extremely frustrating phenomonon in the future.

Thank you

- TFB

I hope this is troll... 

You didn't mention it, but stop using your laptop when plugged in on uneven surfaces, IE: In bed, on your lap, in a tight space

Toe nails grow 1/3rd the speed of fingernails. If you've had to cut your fingernails 3 times, it's probably time to look at your toes

Bonus: I've never had to purchase a second cable for anything except for when I lose it. I have literally never broken a cable through regular use, and am confused as to how it happens to others. Stop moving the cable in use, make sure there's no weight on the cable, it doesn't just magically bend from being used, there has to be (even if it's just a little) weight or pull on the cable for it to become that deformed.

If you have to, run an extension cable to your desk so that the whole cable is on the desk so that there is literally no pull on it.

At least for the recent damage it appears something you are doing is applying force to the socket, and the weakest thing gives, the connection on  the end of the cable.

I have never had these problems with laptops, either they be personal of one of the dozens of work laptops.  I am inclined to believe that it is something you may be unknowingly doing in your environment.

@davehkiin

@Snipergod87

During my more recent attempt to keep the cord from breaking I have attempted to keep it level the best I can; but yes that was the problem this time, I havent made the cord nearly this heavy or stiff before. I went for overkill this time but I have had problems.with cords breaking internally ever since I have had laptops. No matter how I try to wrap them (when putting then away), make sure they arent being pulled on when plugged in, making sure there arent any sharp bends when they are plugged in, in general making sure they are on a level surface (even before this) and they arent being bent around any of the sensitive parts like the head or where it connects to the power brick. Im not saying I have been perfect about it, but ingeneral I have been diligent to take good care of my cords, yet they keep breaking. Thats why Im asking for help, I relise this doesent happen to most people and that most people havent tried to go to the extents I have. This really frustrates me  T.T

P.s A friend of mine says hebalways has a spare, and whenever his breaks he buys a new spare, but this too seems wasteful.

1 hour ago, davehkiin said:

I hope this is troll... 

You didn't mention it, but stop using your laptop when plugged in on uneven surfaces, IE: In bed, on your lap, in a tight space

Toe nails grow 1/3rd the speed of fingernails. If you've had to cut your fingernails 3 times, it's probably time to look at your toes

Bonus: I've never had to purchase a second cable for anything except for when I lose it. I have literally never broken a cable through regular use, and am confused as to how it happens to others. Stop moving the cable in use, make sure there's no weight on the cable, it doesn't just magically bend from being used, there has to be (even if it's just a little) weight or pull on the cable for it to become that deformed.

If you have to, run an extension cable to your desk so that the whole cable is on the desk so that there is literally no pull on it.

No this isent a troll sasly T.T I have sunk hundreds into this nonsense.

As for the last thing, I may have to, but this may be difficult at school.

* Threads merged *

Please update/bump existing threads instead of creating a new one.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !