Custom PSU Cables - Canada

Vicariously

Hi all, I am new to the forum and am seeking some guidance from fellow Canadians who have done this kind of thing before. I want to make custom PSU cables for my rig. I have already done my research on how to do it safely, and properly, and have experience working with electronics. 

My question to you all is:

What is the best supplier for Canadians (I am in Ontario btw) for the sleeving, terminals, etc?

I got a sample kit from Mod One, and everything seems like its a good quality. I just don't know if there is a better cost option for (maybe a company distributing from Canada?)

P.s. If anyone has crimpers or tools they want to sell, let me know. It would be a shame to have to buy a good one at full price just for my rig, then to collect dust.

Thanks!

If the lengths work for you DazMode sells pre-sleeved wires you just gotta put into the connectors yourself. Can save a load of time if they work for your use case. Plus I'm fairly confident they have the more basic supplies as well. Good company, Canadian, and really nice staff. As long as prices work for you, I'd recommend em wholeheartedly

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

Router: R3 2200G @ stock, 4GB DDR4 2400, what are cases, stock cooler

I don't have a problem...

Thanks @tarfeef101 for the heads up! They won't really fit my use case. I'm doing some...unique... mods for my SATA power cables, fan cables, and etc (Graphics card and mobo are already done by Cablemod). DazMode does have some supplies and great shipping rates that I could definitely take advantage of, they are located close to home apparently as well. 

Also good to make note of for when I plan my water cooling loop out (after the cables of course)

Let me know if anything else comes to mind! I will keep looking but for us Canadians there are so few options...

54 minutes ago, Vicariously said:

Thanks @tarfeef101 for the heads up! They won't really fit my use case. I'm doing some...unique... mods for my SATA power cables, fan cables, and etc (Graphics card and mobo are already done by Cablemod). DazMode does have some supplies and great shipping rates that I could definitely take advantage of, they are located close to home apparently as well. 

Also good to make note of for when I plan my water cooling loop out (after the cables of course)

Let me know if anything else comes to mind! I will keep looking but for us Canadians there are so few options...

np. yeah, Canadian stores are had to come by. I've mostly just given up on custom cables and use extensions (aliexpress has served me well). If I end up in a situation where I don't have room for that I might have to revisit it. 

If you find a good supplier yourself please do tag me ;)

Main Rig: R9 5950X @ PBO, RTX 3090, 64 GB DDR4 3666, InWin 101, Full Hardline Watercooling

Server: R7 1700X @ 4.0 GHz, GTX 1080 Ti, 32GB DDR4 3000, Cooler Master NR200P, Full Soft Watercooling

LAN Rig: R5 3600X @ PBO, RTX 2070, 32 GB DDR4 3200, Dan Case A4-SFV V4, 120mm AIO for the CPU

HTPC: i7-7700K @ 4.6 GHz, GTX 1050 Ti, 16 GB DDR4 3200, AliExpress K39, IS-47K Cooler

6 hours ago, tarfeef101 said:

np. yeah, Canadian stores are had to come by. I've mostly just given up on custom cables and use extensions (aliexpress has served me well). If I end up in a situation where I don't have room for that I might have to revisit it. 

If you find a good supplier yourself please do tag me ;)

Yeah, I will definitely let you know if I find something, might have to just try and get my american friends to buy the stuff for me and ship it here. I will post some pictures in a build log once I get that far with the mod, you will see why I needed these cables to be super custom.

7 hours ago, Vicariously said:

-SNIP-

Unless you are planning on doing a lot of sleeving it's usually more cost effective to just get custom made sleeved cables, due to the upfront cost of the tools and materials. As for places to get supplies, Dazmode, Mod one, Mainframe customs, Singularity PC are all good options. 

@W-L Without getting too specific, I have a large tower case, and am using one of the 5.25" for a bluray r/w and the other is large enough (it has extra headroom) to put my HDDs. The most complicated cable will be the SATA power cable, which I was likely going to solder. My PSU cable doesn't even reach, and it wouldn't be able to bend all 3 connectors so close together, so I'm using the basement of the case right now (the intended location).

My only reason for this mod is to make room for some larger water cooler and other potential mods.

I also want to re-locate the fan controller to make room for more SSDs.

Maybe I should see if any friends want custom cables for a reasonable price to recover the cost of the crimpers and pin extractors! 

First world problems...Thanks for the other suggestions though, I will look at those suppliers!

5 minutes ago, Vicariously said:

@W-L Without getting too specific, I have a large tower case, and am using one of the 5.25" for a bluray r/w and the other is large enough (it has extra headroom) to put my HDDs. The most complicated cable will be the SATA power cable, which I was likely going to solder. My PSU cable doesn't even reach, and it wouldn't be able to bend all 3 connectors so close together, so I'm using the basement of the case right now (the intended location).

My only reason for this mod is to make room for some larger water cooler and other potential mods.

I also want to re-locate the fan controller to make room for more SSDs.

Maybe I should see if any friends want custom cables for a reasonable price to recover the cost of the crimpers and pin extractors! 

First world problems...Thanks for the other suggestions though, I will look at those suppliers!

Custom cables at any length or specific configuration if required. As for crimpers try to look for ones with very sharp and defined jaws, I've used no name ones without much issue before, sometimes they may require some adjusting out of the box. 

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Professional-Compression-Ratcheting-Wire-electrode/dp/B00OMM4YUY/ref=sr_1_3

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Custom cables at any length or specific configuration if required. As for crimpers try to look for ones with very sharp and defined jaws, I've used no name ones without much issue before, sometimes they may require some adjusting out of the box. 

https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Professional-Compression-Ratcheting-Wire-electrode/dp/B00OMM4YUY/ref=sr_1_3

For 25$ its worth trying, even if its not perfect out of the box, I could make it work for the amount I need. I have seen someone else recommend these exact ones once before, might be worth a shot after all

If you need pin extractors, etc I can recommend a small toolkit I got off of aliexpress a while back
(Actually I can't the listing in gone, but I'm sure there's 20 other sellers selling the same thing there for cheap as well, so take a look at that if you can wait for shipping)

• 5 months later...
On 3/26/2019 at 12:45 PM, tarfeef101 said:

If you need pin extractors, etc I can recommend a small toolkit I got off of aliexpress a while back
(Actually I can't the listing in gone, but I'm sure there's 20 other sellers selling the same thing there for cheap as well, so take a look at that if you can wait for shipping)

@tarfeef101 I ended up going with Mod One. I did buy a third party pin extractor, but bit the bullet for the official crimper. I tried 4 other crimpers on Amazon and one locally, and they didn't have the right 'lip' inside to really give the force needed for a perfect crimp on these small cables. There might be a good one out there, but all the ones I tried just didn't do it the same. The official tool is fantastic and I plan on getting a lot of use out of it (might even put an ad for making small (very) custom cable orders). My friends already have taken advantage of me... I enjoyed doing mine and couldn't be happier with how it made my build less cluttered.  

The shipping for me in Ontario was about 1 week from order date, they did send the wrong parts and some things were missing, but they fulfilled the order with rapid shipping, and gave me a deal (as I ordered some extra components at the same time).