Does Gigabyte Bios offer per core OC for Z390?

Go to solution Solved by Falkentyne,
12 hours ago, Genotabby said:

I have currently set my under 1 core to be 5.3Ghz and the rest at 5.1GHz but it doesn't reflect in hwinfo. I can confirm that hwinfo showed one core at 5.3 and the rest at 5.1 using my friend's motherboard

This is completely wrong.

ONLY HEDT boards support per core overclocking.

On mainstream boards, all the cores will run at the set turbo boost speed depending on how many cores are loaded.  You have no control at all over which cores are loaded or not.

You can disable cores, but you have no control over which core is disabled (you may be able to find out if you know the average temp spread of each core, but you still can't control it).

Windows doesn't help the situation either.  If you only have a single thread active, it will try to spread the thread load over all cores randomly.

What you saw in HWinfo64 is simply a timing error. The polling is inaccurate. I'm not sure if Throttlestop 8.70 handles this better or not.

Hi, coming from an Asus z270 motherboard, I am used to the per core overclock found in their bios. Now I am using a z390 gigabyte aorus master and I am unable to find the per core overclock option. Does Gigabyte offer a per core overclock option and where do I find it? Currently running 5.1GHz all core on the 9900k.

Per clock OC is years now on 90% of motherboards

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

4 minutes ago, Constantin said:

Per clock OC is years now on 90% of motherboards

I have been digging through the bios and the only option I found is "Turbo Per Core Limit Control" but this had little to no effect on frequencies.

1 minute ago, Genotabby said:

I have been digging through the bios and the only option I found is "Turbo Per Core Limit Control" but this had little to no effect on frequencies.

On what motherboard?

CPU:i7 9700k 5047.5Mhz All Cores Mobo: MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Edge AC, RAM:Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz DDR4 OC 3467Mhz GPU:MSI RTX 2070 ARMOR 8GB OC Storage:Samsung SSD 970 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB, 2x SSD ADATA PRO SP900 256GB, HDD WD CB 2TB, HDD GREEN 2TB PSU: Seasonic focus plus 750w Gold Display(s): 1st: LG 27UK650-W, 4K, IPS, HDR10, 10bit(8bit + A-FRC). 2nd: Samsung 24" LED Monitor (SE390), Cooling:Fazn CPU Cooler Aero 120T Push/pull Corsair ML PRO Fans Keyboard: Corsair K95 Platinum RGB mx Rapidfire Mouse:Razer Naga Chroma  Headset: Razer Kraken 7.1 Chroma Sound: Logitech X-540 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker Case: Modded Case Inverted, 5 intake 120mm, one exhaust 120mm.

1 minute ago, Constantin said:

On what motherboard?

Z390 Aorus Master

2 minutes ago, Genotabby said:

Z390 Aorus Master

There is no way you can't set a per clock OC on that board

In the OC window, is there a tab for advanced users, maybe it is there

2 minutes ago, Constantin said:

In the OC window, is there a tab for advanced users, maybe it is there

Can't find such an option. This is pretty bad board if that is the case and I might change to a ROG one. Thanks for your help! Side note: How do you know that my motherboard cannot set a per core OC?

3 minutes ago, Genotabby said:

How do you know that my motherboard cannot set a per core OC?

I did not say that it can not!!

i said

6 minutes ago, Constantin said:

i still believethere is a way to OC per core on that bo1rd

1 minute ago, Constantin said:

I did not say that it can not!!

i said

Oh sorry misread. Alright will explore the bios a bit more

5 minutes ago, Genotabby said:

a ROG

if you do, please don't get a code, hero or formula

it's a huge downgrade from the master in vrms

5 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

if you do, please don't get a code, hero or formula

it's a huge downgrade from the master in vrms

Yea I was looking at the extreme since it is slightly more expensive than the formula.

Just now, Genotabby said:

Yea I was looking at the extreme since it is slightly more expensive than the formula.

look into the apex and gene too

if you would need to go that is

I'm personally not familiar with gigabytes bios

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

look into the apex and gene too

if you would need to go that is

I'm personally not familiar with gigabytes bios

Have looked into them but the gene is an matx board and the apex only has 2 ram slots and I have 4 sticks. Thanks for the recommendation though!

Just now, ch3w2oy said:

Is this it? 

20190325_120036.thumb.jpg.9522899c7e9d9655edc31bd9f5fa7b3c.jpg

Tried it. Had no effect.

I don't think the 9900k supports per core overclocking like Intel's HEDT platform does.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

6 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

I don't think the 9900 supports per core overclocking like Intel's HEDT platform does.

It does. I can confirm through overclocking my friend's 9900k with strix z390e and observation through hwinfo

Just now, Genotabby said:

It does. I can confirm through overclocking my friend's 9900k with strix z390e and observation through hwinfo

Really?  You can control individual core ratios and voltages?  You candisable certain cores?

I have not even been able to verify per core overclock.  If I leave all cores at 5.1 and set one core at 4.9, I observe in HWinfo all cores running 4.9 during cinebench or Prime95.  I thought this was a reporting error, but the cinebench score stays the same with all cores 4.9 or one core 4.9 all others at 5.1.

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

5 minutes ago, TahoeDust said:

Really?  You can control individual core ratios and voltages?  You candisable certain cores?

I have not even been able to verify per core overclock.  If I leave all cores at 5.1 and set one core at 4.9, I observe in HWinfo all cores running 4.9 during cinebench or Prime95.  I thought this was a reporting error, but the cinebench score stays the same with all cores 4.9 or one core 4.9 all others at 5.1.

I have currently set my under 1 core to be 5.3Ghz and the rest at 5.1GHz but it doesn't reflect in hwinfo. I can confirm that hwinfo showed one core at 5.3 and the rest at 5.1 using my friend's motherboard

1 minute ago, Genotabby said:

That is not really per core overclocking imho.  What I was talking about is being able to decide what the maximum speed each individual core runs.  That is available on HEDT.  

12 hours ago, Genotabby said:

This is completely wrong.

ONLY HEDT boards support per core overclocking.

On mainstream boards, all the cores will run at the set turbo boost speed depending on how many cores are loaded.  You have no control at all over which cores are loaded or not.

You can disable cores, but you have no control over which core is disabled (you may be able to find out if you know the average temp spread of each core, but you still can't control it).

Windows doesn't help the situation either.  If you only have a single thread active, it will try to spread the thread load over all cores randomly.

What you saw in HWinfo64 is simply a timing error. The polling is inaccurate. I'm not sure if Throttlestop 8.70 handles this better or not.