Raspberry Pi - UPS Question

cluelessgenius
Go to solution Solved by CodeNova,
26 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

I have no clue and documentation on this is quite poor. can someone tell me how these boards work logically.

Good question.

I suppose it depends on your application.

If you can, I would flip the pi into 'read only' mode. If the power gets cut, no risk of corruption. When the power comes back on, it boots, no issue.

(info)

If your reading and writing to the filesystem and 'read only' is not an option, your probably going to have to make a UPS, OR! find one. Lucky for you I stumbled across the exact thing you were looking for 2 days ago.

The exact thing your looking for

I was reading over the documentation, it looks like its exactly what you need.

Edit: user manual

Github page

so i need a UPS for the pi and as far as i understand it most of them support some sort of signalling to shut down savely (duhhh) 

but what then?

can it start the pi again also when power is back on?

i assume UPS's deliver constant from battery until empty. so then GPIO tells the pi that theres a power loss and its running on battery. so one could shut it down properly. but then how do you boot it up properly when power returns? the pi boots up when power is connected but in this case it whould never disconnect would it?

wouldnt the UPS have to cut power to the pi once its shut down so that when power returns the pi will start booting again?

i have no clue and documentation on this is quite poor. can someone tell me how these boards work logically.

i ont need it to run on batteries for any longer time. i just need a solution to shut down properly on power loss and boot up again on power restore.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

26 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

I have no clue and documentation on this is quite poor. can someone tell me how these boards work logically.

Good question.

If you can, I would flip the pi into 'read only' mode. If the power gets cut, no risk of corruption. When the power comes back on, it boots, no issue.

(info)

If your reading and writing to the filesystem and 'read only' is not an option, your probably going to have to make a UPS, OR! find one. Lucky for you I stumbled across the exact thing you were looking for 2 days ago.

Github page

52 minutes ago, CodeNova said:

Good question.

(info)

Github page

very informative thanks. but at 40 bucks shipped pretty pricey solution. i will think about wether or not i can run read only and then weigh that against the cost.

finally the pi is gonna run a smart mirror so technically read only could work i guess ? i only need it to get data online and display it. but if i had write abilities i could save the last loaded data and have something to display immidiatly and could do the online data getting lazyly in the background. i think ill test read only and how smoothly that goes and then i can always get the pico ups later if needed.

anyway thanks again. very informative and exactly what i was looking for. not often on this forum does one get straight to the point helpful answers. i was  full on prepared for having to explain the whole thing and then arguing why i want exatly this setup and not something else and so on. 10/10 would ask again :D

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

3 minutes ago, cluelessgenius said:

very informative thanks. <snip>

Your welcome, I'm glad you found it helpful.

*hops on my magic horse and rides off into the sunset*