Waifu2x (+ A recent Taran video about it)

QXC

(Hopefully this is properly catagorised)

So youtube's all knowing, all seeing algos showed me that Taran did a video on waifu2x. I happen to use waifu2x, so I figured it'd be worth a watch.

I was quite surprised that he didn't mention anything about how waifu2x was designed (and is "trained" for) 2d art, specifically anime style things. He touches briefly on the models when using the windows based program that someone wrote, but not much about what they are. Although it's still working well for his uses regardless, I think it would have been even more interesting if he investigated training his own model for photos or text. I've thought about training models before but never got around to actually trying it...

He also didn't mention anything about setting up CUDA. It's not bad, but it's a mild pain (I think you have to sign up for their developer something or other) and worth mentioning. Then again, if you're already using CUDA for anything else, you've probably got everything in place.

All of that being said, waifu2x is an amazing program. I'm sure there are others here that have experience using it. Has anyone tried training models?

(Oh, and regarding webpage scaling, I bet you could build a "simple" python script that will take a downloaded HTML page and throw all of the images inside through waifu2x automagically. Could even use Selenium do screenshot the webpage at an artificial resolution so you can have the text/elements scaled past 4k/8k for zooming? Not a quick task, but could make the whole process take a minute or two.)