Random shutdowns

Go to solution Solved by Greenish,
On 3/25/2019 at 8:32 AM, diogo_the_man said:

Hi everyone today I'm having a problem with a msi z270 a pro that gives me a post error (VGA) but it boots just fine in to windows. That's not all when I'm in windows playing(for example r6) the pc shuts down entirely(and by shutdown I mean powers off completely). What seems to be the problem? I haven't tried anything yet. It started doing this after a thermal paste swap on the cpu. And I just cleaned the gpus fan nothing more, the case was full of dust. (Tommorow I'm gonna try a different gpu, no gpu at all, and cleaning the connectors). The gpu is a Gtx 960(for now) and the cpu is a 7700k. Thanks for your help. :)

UPDATE!!!

I bought a new PSU and it works. I had the exact same problem and as far as I know, this fixed it for me.

I would suggest just getting anything over what you currently have.

Hi everyone today I'm having a problem with a msi z270 a pro that gives me a post error (VGA) but it boots just fine in to windows. That's not all when I'm in windows playing(for example r6) the pc shuts down entirely(and by shutdown I mean powers off completely). What seems to be the problem? I haven't tried anything yet. It started doing this after a thermal paste swap on the cpu. And I just cleaned the gpus fan nothing more, the case was full of dust. (Tommorow I'm gonna try a different gpu, no gpu at all, and cleaning the connectors). The gpu is a Gtx 960(for now) and the cpu is a 7700k. Thanks for your help. :)

I am having the EXACT same problem on one of my rigs with a MSI Z270 SLI Pro mobo with a 7700k.

I just want to ask you...

What power supply are you using?

How old is the power supply?

Does it only happen when your are playing/running games?

Do you have any older GPU's with lower power draw you could switch out?

Thanks, as far as I know for me in this rig its got an aftermarket 500w psu so I am thinking thats the problem as its running perfectly with a 960 in it instead of the 1070 ti. I was just about to buy another PSU but seeing this with a 7700k and MSI board, I am thinking it could be a mobo problem.

idk tbh

if it dies during a game, its most likely an unstable overclock, or psu is dying/can't keep up with total draw power

1 minute ago, Derrk said:

if it dies during a game, its most likely an unstable overclock, or psu is dying/can't keep up with total draw power

I agree, this was my initial thought. I tried overclocking it more, I removed the overclock. It still doesn't work.

As proof to backup my claim is the fact that mine works with a 960 but not a 1070 ti (they both have very different power draws.

It worked before (for me) meaning that its most likley dying.

I want to check up on that guy, in the case that he has a very solid power supply and its a bug to do with msi boards/bios or something.

idk tbh

1 minute ago, Greenish said:

I agree, this was my initial thought. I tried overclocking it more, I removed the overclock. It still doesn't work.

As proof to backup my claim is the fact that mine works with a 960 but not a 1070 ti (they both have very different power draws.

It worked before (for me) meaning that its most likley dying.

I want to check up on that guy, in the case that he has a very solid power supply and its a bug to do with msi boards/bios or something.

Its usually the PSU in situations like this, overclock will only kill it in extreme scenarios. If you're rocking an aftermarket 500w psu, you should invest in a new PSU. 1070ti can draw about 100W more than the 960 at full load

If your PSU dies out while the computer is running, you can potentially harm components

Just now, Derrk said:

Its usually the PSU in situations like this, overclock will only kill it in extreme scenarios. If you're rocking an aftermarket 500w psu, you should invest in a new PSU. 1070ti can draw about 100W more than the 960 at full load

If your PSU dies out while the computer is running, you can potentially harm components

Exactly what I mean.

idk tbh

Just now, Greenish said:

Exactly what I mean.

600W should be fine for you, but it never hurts to bump up to 650. Good luck! ?

On 3/24/2019 at 7:23 PM, Derrk said:

500w can handle a 1080+8700k fine, with minimal oc.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/11180/the-nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-review/16

410W WHOLE SYSTEM w/ 1080 ti.

I Vote PSU and get a good quality one def 650w at least

16 hours ago, Greenish said:

I am having the EXACT same problem on one of my rigs with a MSI Z270 SLI Pro mobo with a 7700k.

I just want to ask you...

What power supply are you using?

How old is the power supply?

Does it only happen when your are playing/running games?

Do you have any older GPU's with lower power draw you could switch out?

Thanks, as far as I know for me in this rig its got an aftermarket 500w psu so I am thinking thats the problem as its running perfectly with a 960 in it instead of the 1070 ti. I was just about to buy another PSU but seeing this with a 7700k and MSI board, I am thinking it could be a mobo problem.

It's a 500 or 600w (Idk I'm not home rn) but I will use a different one anyways. I'll keep you guys updated. Tnx for the tips and the replies. (edit:I have not tried any type of overclocking) 

Have you checked any of the systems event logs? a good useful tool to use is reliability monitor which may point you towards the cause? But if the machine just shuts off then the event log won't say much except something along the lines of an unexpected shutdown. 

On 3/25/2019 at 9:25 AM, Derrk said:

600W should be fine for you, but it never hurts to bump up to 650. Good luck! ?

Eventually went with a 750W

idk tbh

On 3/25/2019 at 8:32 AM, diogo_the_man said:

UPDATE!!!

I bought a new PSU and it works. I had the exact same problem and as far as I know, this fixed it for me.

idk tbh

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 7:27 AM, Greenish said:

UPDATE!!!

Did the same thing. It worked??