Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 as Base Station

Takuan

I just had my ISP change/upgrade my connection speed. At the same time they replaced the modem with a fiber box, which is further connected to a router. Everything is IPV6. I tried connecting a few Netgear routers directly to the fiber box using RJ45 cables (same as the ISP provided router is using) but does not work. No Internet. So I gave up on that idea. Instead I have plugged a Netgear router into the existing ISP provided router. I can get everything to work, and there are no problems or surprises. Everything works as expected. The problems occur, when I want to setup the Netgear router as a base station for two repeaters (old Netgear routers).

I had an old Netgear router, which I used as a stand alone repeater in a downstairs room. Everything was setup and worked perfectly before the ISP replaced the modem (which was also a router build in). The new router provided by the ISP does not have any base station or repeater options. Actually it has only the most basic options, none in regard to setting up base stations or repeaters. That is why I gave up on that and is now using a Netgear router to connect to the ISP provided router.

I bought the X4S for two reasons. To use it as a base station for the two older routers and for the 5G network, which is not available in the older Netgear routers (it is available in the ISP provided router though) but my plan is to not use the ISP provided router for anything else than a LAN connection for my Netgear router.

In the old Netgear WNR2000v2 and the WNR3500Lv2 routers, the interface (WNR3500Lv2 downgraded to older firmware) does have the options to select these as both repeater or as a "base station". The newly purchased Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800 have options to set it up as a router, a cable connected access point and a bridge. I cannot find any "base station" option. I bought this router with the sole purpose of using it as a base station for the older routers, as we have too many wireless blind spots and signal is very week. Pulling cables to the remote places just does not work. Not possible.

Can anyone guide me to how I can setup the X4S as a base station, so I can connect the repeaters, or confirm/deny that this is even possible?

If it is indeed impossible to do anything like this with this router, can anyone here please recommend the absolute best router for this purpose?

Thanks in advance.

it could be called access point mode. what modes are available?

in the normal router mode, if the 2 'repeater' routers are just connected to the X4S, i think that it should work.

As mentioned in my first post, there are three options/modes. One is as a router, another is cabled access point and the third is as a bridge. None is a "base station" to the best of my knowledge. I have tried all three options, but it does not do what I want it to. I don't know what you mean by "in the normal router mode, if the 2 'repeater' routers are just connected to the X4S, i think that it should work", as this is the exact problem. I cannot connect them to the X4S. It is not possible, or the option eludes me.

Well, it cannot be done. Simple as that. The option is simply not there on the Netgear Nighthawk X4S R7800.

It is very disappointing of course, especially as the feature/option was otherwise advertised.