Extending Network to New Building

Go to solution Solved by robosheep,
12 minutes ago, Acedia said:

Ignore what the other people here are telling you.

DO NOT USE NORMAL ETHERNET CABLE.

Primary Cabling (from building to building) should not be done with copper since the ground in the one building and the ground in the next building is not the same. These different potentials lead to a steady current running on the ethernet cable! This is bad.

Get a trenching tool, run optical fiber from building to building and use a media converter or switch with SFP ports.

I forgot about non common grounds. I have issues with that in an audio system. Fiber should also allow me to run it right next to my power. Thanks

I am building a house on the back of my property and I am wanting to share the same internet bill.

I have the ability to run any type of cable from the pole or router/modem to the back building. Line of sight is kinda blocked by trees and the distance is about 200 feet.

What options are best for this feat.

I do not want to be double charged for internet on the same property.
I have been looking at MoCA or Ethernet so far.

5 minutes ago, robosheep said:

I am building a house on the back of my property and I am wanting to share the same internet bill.

I have the ability to run any type of cable from the pole or router/modem to the back building. Line of sight is kinda blocked by trees and the distance is about 200 feet.

What options are best for this feat.

I do not want to be double charged for internet on the same property.
I have been looking at MoCA or Ethernet so far.

what speeds are you looking to get in the house? and what speeds do you get on the main property(where the internet currently is)?

I'd do underground ethernet, get a shovel and dig a path that connects both buildings then route flexible waterproof tubing with a shielded cable inside, once it's done seal both ends of the tube.

well that's what I'd do

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I currently pay for 200mpbs down and 40 up. I get about half of that (thanks Comcast). I want top speeds and I am the primary internet user.

1 minute ago, aezakmi said:

I'd do underground ethernet, get a shovel and dig a path that connects both buildings then route flexible waterproof tubing with a shielded cable inside, once it's done seal both ends of the tube.

well that's what I'd do

What grade of Ethernet cable do you think I will need. 200ft is a little long for Ethernet I believe. I will also have in ground power nearby and that may mess with Ethernet.

Ethernet works without issue up to 100 meters. If you're worried about EMI or other issues then get burial grade fiber and run it that way, otherwise just some burial grade Cat5e or Cat6 cable would be just fine.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, robosheep said:

What grade of Ethernet cable do you think I will need. 200ft is a little long for Ethernet I believe. I will also have in ground power nearby and that may mess with Ethernet.

I think about 48V PoE and Cat.6, mentioned shielded wiring due to possible interferences and also because it'll be safer to run underground, also electrical wiring *should* be thick and with a semi flexible solid conductor inside.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

Primary Cabling (from building to building) should not be done with copper since the ground in the one building and the ground in the next building is not the same. These different potentials lead to a steady current running on the ethernet cable! This is bad.

Get a trenching tool, run optical fiber from building to building and use a media converter or switch with SFP ports.

12 minutes ago, Acedia said:

I forgot about non common grounds. I have issues with that in an audio system. Fiber should also allow me to run it right next to my power. Thanks

3 hours ago, Acedia said:

Interested on why you say that.

1. Main concern runnign copper between buildings in lightning strikes, which almost always the reason they go bad

2. Runs are grounded via equipment

3. PoE can send 100s of watts

So if the ground potential is so high that it is able to destroy the cable, it's going to destroy the switch first. I've never heard of you reasoning before

Either way fiber should be the only medium run nowadays