Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WereCat

Internet Upload - Windows 10 issue

Recommended Posts

Posted · Original PosterOP

OK, so I have this very strange problem which I am unable to solve for... MONTHS!

 

I have an optical internet connection 100Mbps/10Mbps Down/Up.

 

3 PCs with Intel NIC:

1x Haswell over Ethernet

1x Ryzen over WiFi

1x Broadwell over WiFi

 

All 3 of these PCs have Windows 10 x64 Pro.

My Internet upload speeds on all of these PCs can barely reach 2Mbps at best, it usually hovers around 1Mbps to 1.5Mbps.

 

I know that the issue is not the router or ISP because when I boot to Linux or I use any Android device, my upload speeds are waaaay higher.

 

To demonstrate:

 

 


Windows 10 over Ethernet

image.png.c7afa7b86f2b1d49b3706450cd8e5e42.png

Linux Ubuntu over Ethernet (the same PC)

image.png.f2e67a86dc268bd5158ca3a524d4b65d.png

OnePlus 6T over 5GHz WiFi 

image.png.8aec6fa4d3c034b1ecf76d65af99c128.png

 

All these speed test are from the same server (which is my ISP, thats why the ping is also so low).

I know the measured speeds on Speedtest.net can vary a lot so it only a part of the story.

 

For example, when I upload something from my PC anywhere, it takes ages. It is more efficient for me to just copy it to my phone and upload it from the while still being on the same network as my phone does it at least 8x faster.

 

When Streaming using OBS on WIndows 10, I can barely use 1500bitrate, even then I am dropping frames.

Example:

 

While when using Ubuntu I can double the bitrate and not get a single frame drop over network:

 

 

 

I really have no idea how to troubleshoot this. I have tried so many stuff that its impossible to even list everything in there.

I tried different CMD stuff like TCP Auto-Tuning Level, Heuristics, flushing the DNS, etc...

I tried registry edits, I tried fiddling with every setting in my Router, I disabled everything in Windows that could possibly use the upload speed, I tried to change every single setting in my Intel NIC driver. Changin the Ethernet cable, etc... I have no idea what to try anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm curious if you get the same results using the website "speedof.me" from each system (maybe from both Chrome and Edge?) it runs a more simplified HTML5-based speed test that may look different from Speedtest.net

 

Other thoughts I have are if any programs are installed that aren't as obvious that they affect network settings.  A major one I've seen showing up on more Dell computers lately is called "SmartByte Driver and Services" (website of company who makes this junk: https://www.rivetnetworks.com/smartbyte/) and they claim to improve video data streaming over network, and people on forums have literally been screaming up and down that it cuts their upload speed by more than half.  They remove it and voilà , network performance improves markedly.

 

-What Antivirus do you run on the affected comps (anything beyond Windows defender that's built into Windows 10)?  Have you tried uninstalling it instead of just turning the shields off?

 

-Are the NIC drivers up to date for the ethernet ports?  Tried uninstalling / reinstalling those drivers?  Setting jumbo packet to maximum in the advanced driver settings or setting all frame buffers to as high as they'll go for that Intel driver?


Parts list for "LogicBox":  https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cHhYZR

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, WereCat said:

I know that the issue is not the router or ISP because when I boot to Linux or I use any Android device, my upload speeds are waaaay higher.

A couple of things you could do to narrow things down:

  • try with a different router -- yes, I know you get higher speeds in Ubuntu, but if you haven't tried with a different router then you can't rule your router out. If you don't have another router to test with, you could always temporarily make one of your PCs into a router, if you can get a second NIC to use on it and install Pfsense on a spare HDD.
  • test transfer-speeds between your computers themselves -- are you getting close to gigabit-speeds or does it do the same?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites

update wifi drivers. check if windows update is causing problems. make sure to turn off that windows update feature that uploads stuff (i forgot where it is and what it is called). wifi or ethernet?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, KhakiHat said:

Have you checked the task manager to possibly double-check your network usage on those PC's?

Everything appears to be normal. I also tried Wireshark to monitor the network but I havent seen anything out of ordinary.

Just now, LogicWeasel said:

I'm curious if you get the same results using the website "speedof.me" from each system (maybe from both Chrome and Edge?) it runs a more simplified HTML5-based speed test that may look different from Speedtest.net

 

Other thoughts I have are if any programs are installed that aren't as obvious that they affect network settings.  A major one I've seen showing up on more Dell computers lately is called "SmartByte Driver and Services" (website of company who makes this junk: https://www.rivetnetworks.com/smartbyte/) and they claim to improve video data streaming over network, and people on forums have literally been screaming up and down that it cuts their upload speed by more than half.  They remove it and voilà , network performance improves markedly.

 

-What Antivirus do you run on the affected comps (anything beyond Windows defender that's built into Windows 10)?  Have you tried uninstalling it instead of just turning the shields off?

 

-Are the NIC drivers up to date for the ethernet ports?  Tried uninstalling / reinstalling those drivers?  Setting jumbo packet to maximum in the advanced driver settings or setting all frame buffers to as high as they'll go for that Intel driver?

Yes. I shoul have also mentioned that even if I install fresh Windows 10 it is like that. So I doubt that it has anything with other applications as I tried reinstalling the system multiple times, only Linux has better upload speeds.

Tried multiple speedtest services as well, the results vary drasticaly but the one on Speedtest.net that sees my ISPs server is the most accurate as it also represent what I actually get when uploading something somewhere.

But I use free version of the Malwarebytes and Windows Defender.

Im not using any program that affects networking besides PIA VPN. And no, my ISP is not throttling me, I also tried to monitor with and without VPN but I get slower speeds with VPN.

 

NICs are up to date, I tried even multiple versions. Tried uninstalling/reinstalling as well.

Jumbo packets maxed out.

Not sure exactly what you mean by frame buffers, these? (maxed out)

image.png.4578b2756206e515499f46be105f673d.png

Just now, Origami Cactus said:

Have you tried booting windows into safe mode (with networking), and seeing if the problem still exists?

Yes, still the same.

 

Just now, WereCatf said:

A couple of things you could do to narrow things down:

  • try with a different router -- yes, I know you get higher speeds in Ubuntu, but if you haven't tried with a different router then you can't rule your router out. If you don't have another router to test with, you could always temporarily make one of your PCs into a router, if you can get a second NIC to use on it and install Pfsense on a spare HDD.
  • test transfer-speeds between your computers themselves -- are you getting close to gigabit-speeds or does it do the same?

Good idea, I havent tried that yet. I dont have another router so I will have to do it with other PC as suggested.

 

Just now, Saksham said:

update wifi drivers. check if windows update is causing problems. make sure to turn off that windows update feature that uploads stuff (i forgot where it is and what it is called). wifi or ethernet?

Yeah, I have all that crap disabled and everythings up to date.

 

 

 

EDIT:

Oh yeah, I also tried fiddling with QoS and disabling IPV6.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Good idea, I havent tried that yet. I dont have another router so I will have to do it with other PC as suggested.

Let us know what happens!


Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, Saksham said:

you are using pia vpn? that is the reason. disable it and check speed.

Obviously, I measured with VPN disabled. Its just that I use it occasionaly. I had this issue even before I got PIA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TopHatProductions115 said:

What drivers do you have for each NIC? Are they the latest version(s) from each manufacturer?

The official ones for my Gigabyte Z87 are from 2014. So I am using the newest ones from Intel based on my Intel NIC version.

And on the other PCs there are older version as those PCs are not used very often and its a huge PITA to troubleshoot anything on the Broadwell one as its so slow.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TopHatProductions115 said:

@WereCat Do you have any interference-generating devices near the PCs? Microwaves are a common example.

http://www.naic.edu/~sondy/rfi.html

No.

My reception is fantastic in the entire apartment.

Also, that wouldnt explain the issue being over Ethernet as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TopHatProductions115 said:

@WereCat I know this is going to sound really stupid, but when was the last time you tried rebooting those PCs?

Quite often because of Windows updates. Sometimes they dont run for 2 weeks, then there is a Widnwos update then restart. So often. Today as well when I was troubleshooting again and trying to figure out the issue.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay - here are a few things that I was thinking about while reviewing your case:

  1. What does network usage look like in Task Manager? Are any of your computers performing a major transfer over the network?
  2. What are your Windows "Network and Internet" settings like? Any limitations set there (I'd check to see if anything was toggled by accident recently)?
  3. Have you tried running the Windows Troubleshooter for the NIC's exhibiting the issue? It usually won't break anything, and sometimes works.
  4. Have you tried resetting your NIC's, to see if it's due to an invalid configuration?
  5. Are any of your neighbors beginning to use more bandwidth (new streaming services) than before? Are you all on the same Wi-Fi, or are you paying for separate service?
  6. Are your devices using the same wireless channels, or are you setting them to use a variety of channels (2.4/5GHz)?
  7. Have you tried swapping the NIC's/cables around, to see if they work differently in a different PC? Just a way of testing for hardwareVSsoftware issues.
    • If it is software-related, the issue should clear up after moving the NIC to either a new PCI-e slot or a new PC (forcing reinstall of the driver, with new configuration).
    • If it is environmental or hardware related, the issue will persist, even after swapping the NIC's around.
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TopHatProductions115 said:

Okay - here are a few things that I was thinking about while reviewing your case:

  1. What does network usage look like in Task Manager? Are any of your computers performing a major transfer over the network?
  2. What are your Windows "Network and Internet" settings like? Any limitations set there (I'd check to see if anything was toggled by accident recently)?
  3. Have you tried running the Windows Troubleshooter for the NIC's exhibiting the issue? It usually won't break anything, and sometimes works.
  4. Have you tried resetting your NIC's, to see if it's due to an invalid configuration?
  5. Are any of your neighbors beginning to use more bandwidth (new streaming services) than before? Are you all on the same Wi-Fi, or are you paying for separate service?
  6. Are your devices using the same wireless channels, or are you setting them to use a variety of channels (2.4/5GHz)?
  7. Have you tried swapping the NIC's/cables around, to see if they work differently in a different PC? Just a way of testing for hardwareVSsoftware issues.
    • If it is software-related, the issue should clear up after moving the NIC to either a new PCI-e slot or a new PC (forcing reinstall of the driver, with new configuration).
    • If it is environmental or hardware related, the issue will persist, even after swapping the NIC's around.

1.) All devices disconnected except my PC connected via Ethernet. TaskManager Send/Receive sits at 0kb/s with occasionaly spiking to 16kb/s then goes back to 0kb/s. If I go to upload something, I get less than 2Mbps still.

2.) QoS disabled. I even disabled the registry that reserves 20% of bandwidth for Windows Update, no other limitations should be in place.

3.) Yes, never finds anything as per usual.

4.) Yes, multiple times, no change.

5.) I have my own router with WiFi, there are no other devices than mine connected and when troubleshooting I am disconnecting everything except my PC just to make sure that its not screwing with the bandwidth.

6.) Most of the wireless devices (Phones, TV) run at 5GHz. I run both 2.4GHz and 5GHz though. I get 5GHz in the entire apartment, when transfering files localy its working fine, I get a lot of bandwidth so there isnt much noise for the reception.

7.) I tried switching cables for no avail. The NICs are on-board so I cant move them to a different PCIe slot.

 

It must be either Windows 10 or my router (ASUS AC1200 G+).

If its router, why the hell does the upload work as expected on Android and Linux devices both over WiFi and Ethernet connection?
If its Windows 10 issue, why it happens on a three very different PCs both over WiFi and Ethernet connection?

 

And to be honest, I dont really care much about the other 2 PCs, they are supposed to operate for just a Local Network mainly, the slow internet upload is not a big deal. It is a big deal on my main PC though. Its just that all 3 of them happen to have the same issue somehow.

 

And to better get idea of my home network.

 

 

Router:

 

Ethernet -> main PC

WiFi -> Ryzen HTPC, Broadwell fathers PC (has weak antena so sometimes it runs at 2.4GHz instead of 5GHz), 3x Android phone, Samsung TV, old LG TV (2.4GHz only, almost never connected).

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TopHatProductions115 said:

@WereCat Just making sure that I understand your answer to 5), you're paying for your own internet service? Just making sure that there are no other entities that can affect the quality of service for you.

Yes.

I pay for a 100/10Mbps connection, its mine, nobody else is on my network.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TopHatProductions115 said:

Have the PCs been moved around recently? Specifically, referring to desktops, since laptops are meant to be mobile.

No.

Fathers Gigabyte Brix is connected to the old LG TV in his room and the other PC is in a living room connected to the Samsung TV and acts mainly like a Plex home server.

No laptops.

 

And your question makes me think that you take this like a recent/sudden issue but I have had this issue for a long time and I have been trying to find a fix for a long time. Its just reallt incovenient to troubleshoot this and it always took me a big chunk of a day to always get to the same conclusion "I have no idea whats up".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Welp, since I'm pretty sure that you've tried resetting/rebooting your router, I won't ask you that. Since the issue is affecting all PCs in the house, I'm going to ask if you have tried replacing the router/switch in question...

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
Just now, TopHatProductions115 said:

Welp, since I'm pretty sure that you've tried resetting/rebooting your router, I won't ask you that. Since the issue is affecting all PCs in the house, I'm going to ask if you have tried replacing the router/switch in question...

Not yet. I kinda like this router as it has incredible reception trough 4 concrete walls. And if router is the issue..... whyyyyy the download speed works just fine? :D I dont understand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Buy VPN

×