Consoles bound to AMD products

Loscohones

Why do consoles (Xbox and Playstation mostly) use AMD cpu's and gpu's?

Intel and Nvidia are both superior  products when it comes to gaming. All these years both Sony and Microsoft use AMD only why is that? Is it the pricing or restrictions of manufacturers?

Even with the "pro" or "x" versions of both consoles, they still are underpowered, in some titles they can barely hold 30fps which is lame in today's gaming world. Even in 1080p most of the games run in 30fps.

I'm not expecting these machines to have power like a tricked out gaming pc but in 2019...30 fps....its like 2001 :) I also am aware that these machines must be in a specific price range but these consoles are built in millions so chipsets soldered on these machines are in much lower prices than what we get from stores (considering they use similar versions of cpu gpu sets...maybe slightly modified).

And again, why they can't use intel and nvidia....these  companies have plethora of choices when it comes to product variability. 

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Extreme - Asus ROG Strix 1080Oc Edition 2.1Ghz - 16Gb Dual C. Corsair Vengeance Red LED DDR4 3200Mhz - I7 6700K@4.6Ghz - Noctua NHD15s - Asus Xonar Phoebus - 500Gb Evo 850 - 1Tb WD M.2 SATA - 3x 1Tb Seagate Barracuda - Corsair RM750x - Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Mesh Top - Asus MG278Q 27" 144Hz GSync-Freesync

one: you're wrong. the gpu in the x/pro version is a custom made polaris chip that's somewhere between the 580 and 590

two: nvidia does have console chips, older xboxes used that, switch does rn and i haven't opened a ps2 yet, so i can't tell you for that one

and nvidia and intel don't have superiour products, they can even get smashed hard by amd sometimes

this is all said by a intel/amd/nvidia user

16 minutes ago, Loscohones said:

cost , amd's price/performance ratio is better

Intel and Nvidia are both superior  products when it comes to gaming

in the pc market when you pay a premium , this isnt the pc market

I'm not expecting these machines to have power like a tricked out gaming pc but in 2019...30 fps....its like 2001

the 1985 nintendo runs at 60fps so I'm not 100% sure where you are pulling your history from here

And again, why they can't use intel and nvidia....these  companies have plethora of choices when it comes to product variability. 

Also , Original microsoft xbox

733 MHz, custom Intel Pentium III Coppermine-based processor 

GPU and system chipset: 233 MHz "NV2A" ASIC. Co-developed by Microsoft and Nvidia and essentially a variant of Geforce 3 chips.

took me a few seconds to google it

Just now, emosun said:

Also

Original microsoft xbox

took me a few seconds to google it

i know that but it was back in..like 1881 :)

Asus ROG Maximus VIII Extreme - Asus ROG Strix 1080Oc Edition 2.1Ghz - 16Gb Dual C. Corsair Vengeance Red LED DDR4 3200Mhz - I7 6700K@4.6Ghz - Noctua NHD15s - Asus Xonar Phoebus - 500Gb Evo 850 - 1Tb WD M.2 SATA - 3x 1Tb Seagate Barracuda - Corsair RM750x - Cooler Master HAF XB Evo Mesh Top - Asus MG278Q 27" 144Hz GSync-Freesync

1 minute ago, Loscohones said:

i know that but it was back in..like 1881 :)

I'm starting to realize this may fall under the pointless content thing

5 minutes ago, Loscohones said:

Because AMD does what the companies ask for, without any questions asked. THey just do what the Console Manufacturer wants.

Basically they are the only x86 Contract manufacturer.

If they want a shrink -> No Problemo, here is what it costs

if they want a new SOC -> No Problemo, here is what it costs.

Intel and Nvidia are both superior 

...in fucking over their partners, you are right.

As you might not know, the Original XBox had an Intel CPU and an nVidia GPU.

The Playstation3 had an nVidia GPU - and sucked balls. The GPU was crap.

You know that technically the XBox 360 Slim was the first one to have a single Chip for CPU and GPU? The GPU was integrated by IBM into the Design.

nVidia did not allow that with their ancient CineFX shit and only sold GPUs. That might not be something to the desire of Sony.

So they avoid nVidia and stuck with AMD.

M$ also had previously good experience with AMD (or rather ATi) - not so much with Intel and nVidia.

All these years both Sony and Microsoft use AMD only why is that?

They did NOT!
THe previous Sony Generation used an nVidia GPU - and was worse compared to the 360, wich got a full custom ATi/AMD CHip.

And the Generation before the 360 had even an Intel CPU and nVidia GPU...

And there was never a shrink. There was only one major Version of the Chip.

With the PS2, wich was the Competing thing at the time, how many were there? 3 Shrinks? and a dozend or so major Hardware versions?

Even with the "pro" or "x" versions of both consoles, they still are underpowered, in some titles they can barely hold 30fps which is lame in today's gaming world. Even in 1080p most of the games run in 30fps.

...because the Hardware is 7-8 Years old right now. And was rather mid range at the time as well...

At the end of the lifecycle of the last generation, the Performance was shit as well - especially the Playstation 3.

And again, why they can't use intel and nvidia

Because they are not nice Companys, you don't want to work with them.

And if you do, only once.

WOrking with AMD is more pleasant as they just do what you want, if they have it!

They even made a GPU that has some features from the next generation and stuff like that. 

If you pay for it, they do whatever you want.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Just now, Stefan Payne said:

I think it's possibly just wasted energy as it looks like it's just a post to rile people up

1 minute ago, emosun said:

I think it's possibly just wasted energy as it looks like it's just a post to rile people up

Naa, it might just be someone that doesn't know what the previous Chips used or the political shit going on behind the scenes and that there might be some tensions between the companies because nVidia didn't really want to work with the other side. 

Or the Desaster the first XBox was, wich lead M$ to look elsewhere!
There was a reason they went with ATi and IBM at the time. 
Hell, all 3 Companies wend with IBM Chips at the Time! 

Nintendo were the first to go to IBM/ATi with the Gamecube and continued to use the ATi Chip until WiiU.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

so... what if  nvidia and intel  were actually good guys....do you think using their products on current and next gen consoles would be better than amd?

28 minutes ago, emosun said:

Also , Original microsoft xbox

can confirm, had one open

but even the switch uses one, so it's not all amd in the console space

9 minutes ago, Loscohones said:

so... what if  nvidia and intel  were actually good guys....do you think using their products on current and next gen consoles would be better than amd?

honestly: no

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

honestly: no

I'm no fanboy of intel and nvidia, used amd products some time ago, i like what amd did with their cpu's lately i really do....not so good  in gpu department but they are having some breakthrough against the other two companies.

Games today, rely heavily on gpu's, same goes for consoles. Nvidia has been the tip of the spear for.....a long time really... So why  would it be bad for consoles to switch gpu's, or cpu's in that matter.  Forget about the costs, think performance wise.

11 minutes ago, Loscohones said:

I'm no fanboy of intel and nvidia, used amd products some time ago, i like what amd did with their cpu's lately i really do....not so good  in gpu department but they are having some breakthrough against the other two companies.

Games today, rely heavily on gpu's, same goes for consoles. Nvidia has been the tip of the spear for.....a long time really... So why  would it be bad for consoles to switch gpu's, or cpu's in that matter.  Forget about the costs, think performance wise.

even then it wouldn't get much better...

because thermal and power limits hold back enough to not throw a 2080 ti into it

it's not a pc yes.....it doesn't need 2080ti it would be too much :)  but...would you pay 100-150$ more  to get decent hardware on a console that would hold its value much longer?

If Intel was the chip producer for these consoles, it could have been an atom CPU, which wouldn't have been much if at all better.

1 minute ago, Loscohones said:

wold you pay 100-150$ more  to get decent hardware on a console that would hold its value much longer?

no

You're dipping into the panasonic 3DO realm with that business plan 

Just now, emosun said:

no

You're dipping into the panasonic 3DO realm with that business plan 

3DO was....a total failure in console lore in many ways, you just can not compare it to what we have today. That was a dark time for some companies in that business :) 

Simple: because AMD is willing to adapt and can do both CPUs and GPUs for them. Frankly, the easiest place to see this is with Apple products.

I doubt Intel was trying to really fuck around but there's a good chance that Nvidia didn't want to make custom hardware for both Microsoft and Sony. Hell, the Nintendo Switch is basically an Nvidia Shield because Nintendo liked the hardware.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

So you are happy with what you get in today's consoles and you think they can not be better  in any way possible regarding performance...with all the tech that is readily available today...

So the entire correlation of cost and success rate is just entirely lost on you?

This isn't a thread about whether intel or nvidia would be a better choice or not...... this is you not knowing how price determines everything in a market. Not knowing that people have a threshold they are willing to pay at any given point in time based on other market factors. Without cost in your mind at all , you then have no concept that it costs money to design and market a console , to a small amount of people that will not make up that cost and earn the company profit. An with having little to no care about past or previous iterations of the market , you factor in absolutely no past data

So I can now 100% see why you would think the way you do. the "I didnt think about this very long" method is a well known method that isn't typically used by successful companies

2 minutes ago, Loscohones said:

So you are happy with what you get in today's consoles and you think they can not be better  in any way possible regarding performance...with all the tech that is readily available today...

You're comparing apples to oranges. If I wanted to upgrade my console, I would use a PC. I don't feel the need for a console but many people do, and there's no real reason to overcomplicate it more than it already is.

The point of a console is that you shouldn't worry about doing hardware upgrades every one or two years. Why take away a prime benefit just to frustrate consumers more, a la the Steam Machines?

And you didn't get frustrated when they came up with pro and x versions...i felt a little bit cheated but maybe i'm the grumpy one today :P 

4 minutes ago, Loscohones said:

And you didn't get frustrated when they came up with pro and x versions...i felt a little bit cheated but maybe i'm the grumpy one today :P 

I had no reason to mention 'em. I do think those versions are stupid, because to me, it's a white flag for their original consoles. That being said the upgraded consoles are much more straightforward than making a modular console. If its price tag, shape and standard storage capacity didn't give it away to the average customer that it's better, then maybe the ability to play games at a higher resolution or frame rate (or both) would.