Convince me to switch to Firefox.

Exactly as the title suggest. Ever since Chrome became the popular browser around, I've been using it. However, its RAM usage really ticks the crap out of me. However, I don't want to leave the unified environment that I have set up here on my PC, my laptop and my phone.

So... convince me... without mentioning the obvious reason of RAM usage.

You can use google on Firefox. Which means you don't have to leave any unified environment that you are on. When ever i search something on my pc it's in my recent when i use chrome on my phone. :)

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

Firefox is even worse with RAM tho

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Mozilla claims that Firefox loads websites slightly faster than Chrome.Firefox’s designers and developers try to make the best decision on behalf of the user, while always leaning toward privacy first.

If you want me to see your reply, please tag me @Faisal A

4 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

it can be, but that doesn't mean it is.
Natively, stock with no plugins, it comes in slightly lighter for resource hog levels.

@OP
Firefox brings with it it's own ecosystem, and it's not as though using firefox completely shuts you out of your Google data hivemind data farming ecosystem.

Even then, there are alternatives to both. Vivaldi is another popular one. Opera and offerings from Mozilla such as Waterfox, Pale Moon, Seamonkey, and others. This list could grow quite extensive for browsers of many different origins.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

8 minutes ago, AmateurPCGuy said:

Exactly as the title suggest. Ever since Chrome became the popular browser around, I've been using it. However, its RAM usage really ticks the crap out of me. However, I don't want to leave the unified environment that I have set up here on my PC, my laptop and my phone.

So... convince me... without mentioning the obvious reason of RAM usage.

You've got a good reason. There are also the privacy concerns and Google's approaching monopoly.

2 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

No it's not. It's pretty heavy handed, but still uses less.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

5 minutes ago, NunoLava1998 said:

I agree with that fact. For me having the usually tabs open uses 3000MB. Whereas Firefox uses 1300MB

8700K @ 5.2ghz 1.29V, 4x8 Rev.E @ 4040 13-20-20-39 1.7V.

12 minutes ago, AmateurPCGuy said:

So... convince me

Why should I?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

For me its privacy really, firefox has anti profiling and anti tracking features that i really like in an otherwise equally good browser. You still have all the extensions too.

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just did a quick test, with 65 tabs open and my usual stuff in background am using just under 3GB total ram usage. With just a couple open, it's at around 1300MB.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Use Opera instead. Is based on Chrome so you basically stay with familiar browser. Firefox is crap now since they disable almost all extensions. You cannot even remap your keyboard.