Detroit: Become Human will use Vulkan exclusively over DirectX on PC

Master Disaster

Confirmed by the developers themselves, DBH will use Vulkan exclusively. There will be no DX support at all.

Earlier this week, Detroit: Become Human was announced to be coming to the PC platform alongside Quantic Dream’s other two PlayStation exclusives, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. The game will be sold exclusively via the Epic Games Store, at least for the time being.

Today, Quantic Dream revealed the official system requirements for Detroit: Become Human on the store page. Interestingly, the Vulkan API will be used in this PC release instead of Microsoft’s DirectX 12.

Screenshot_20190324-065336_Firefox.jpg.082f2d984f70b401aa03191ead2e4094.jpg

https://wccftech.com/detroit-become-human-pc-requirements/

I find this interesting as the PS4 doesn't use OpenGL or Vulkan, Sony developed their own API called GNM (and GNMX) for the system. They even have their own Pixel Shader language too.

I wonder why they chose to forgo DirectX entirely? Maybe a hint at a possible Linux port down the line?

Either way in my experience Vulkan performs at least on par with DX in every game I've tried it on so I have no issue with this.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

To be fair, at least they didn't announce it as going onto other platforms and then suddenly announcing an Epic deal. 

In this case, at least we got a Playstation exclusive at all. Sucks that it's exclusive on Epic for a year but read above. At least they didn't pull a Metro: Exodus. 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

We need more developers to pave the way for these base level APIs. However, this kind of raises some questions:

It takes more work to program in vulkan, DX11 is so much more convenient. Is there a graphics overhaul? Is that why it took so long to port? Will this game look totally awesome on PC?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

We need more developers to have the way for these base level APIs. However, this kind of raises some questions:

It takes more work to program in vulkan, DX11 is so much more convenient. Is there a graphics overhaul? Is that why it took so long to port? Will this game look totally awesome on PC?

Chances are the reason this took so long to appear on PC is because of a Sony exclusivity contract.

As for the rest of your questions, I honestly have no idea.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

1 hour ago, Master Disaster said:

Earlier this week, Detroit: Become Human was announced to be coming to the PC platform alongside Quantic Dream’s other two PlayStation exclusives, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls. The game will be sold exclusively via the Epic Games Store, at least for the time being.

Detroit: Become Human, Added to the screw that list!

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Maybe a hint at a possible Linux port down the line?

Might also be that they're already planning for a release on Google Stevia...er, Stadia..with this, since the backend-servers use Linux and Vulkan. Why use DirectX when you can instead use an API that's supported on multiple OSes?

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

25 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

I would actually assume that going for Vulkan was less work in this case than DirectX would have been. PS4 doesn't have DirectX, the APIs there are already closer to Vulkan, as far as I am aware of.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

53 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

To be fair, at least they didn't announce it as going onto other platforms and then suddenly announcing an Epic deal. 

In this case, at least we got a Playstation exclusive at all. Sucks that it's exclusive on Epic for a year but read above. At least they didn't pull a Metro: Exodus. 

I have to agree. I mean, I'm still against the exclusivity-bullshit in general and all, but in this case I don't have much else to complain about.

I find this interesting as the PS4 doesn't use OpenGL or Vulkan, Sony developed their own API called GNM (and GNMX) for the system. They even have their own Pixel Shader language too.

...wich is probably based on AMD's Mantle, wich is the Basis for Vulkan...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

I have to agree. I mean, I'm still against the exclusivity-bullshit in general and all, but in this case I don't have much else to complain about.

Yeah, this still annoys me and I still don't like Epic's strategy one-bit. 

But at least it's being announced as an exclusive from the get-go, rather than being announced as going to Steam/GoG initially and then suddenly saying it's an Epic exclusive. 

Both of them suck but one is much more reprehensible than the other 

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Well nice it's Vulkan and not some high-level API though. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

1 hour ago, Stefan Payne said:

...wich is probably based on AMD's Mantle, wich is the Basis for Vulkan...

Mantle was co-developed by DICE where as the PS4 development by Sony was started much sooner, even though they both came out in the same year. Mantle could work on either the PS4 and xbox but neither use or base themselves off Mantle.

The native operating system of the PlayStation 4 is Orbis OS, which is a fork of FreeBSD version 9.0 which was released on 12 January 2012.[6][7]

The PlayStation 4 features two graphics APIs, a low level API named GNM and a high level API named GNMX. Most developers start with GNMX, which wraps around GNM, which in turn manages the more esoteric GPU details. This can be a familiar way to work if the developers are used to platforms like Direct3D 11. The developers of The Crew put a lot of work into the move to the lower-level GNM, and in the process the tech team found out just how much work DirectX does for developers in background in terms of memory allocation and resource management.[8]

Another key area of the game is its programmable pixel shaders.[8] Sony's own PlayStation Shader Language (PSSL) was introduced on the PlayStation 4.[9] It has been suggested[by whom?] that the PlayStation Shader Language is very similar to the HLSL standard in DirectX 11, with just subtle differences that could be eliminated for the most part through preprocessor macros.[8]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_system_software#System

6 hours ago, leadeater said:

Mantle was co-developed by DICE where as the PS4 development by Sony was started much sooner, even though they both came out in the same year. Mantle could work on either the PS4 and xbox but neither use or base themselves off Mantle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_4_system_software#System

Do you have any informations about the differences between the two??

As far as I know, Vulkan is basically mantle with just renamed features (well, more or less)...

You can run hitman 2 in Vulkan mode if your willing to download a couple of files. So it can't be that hard surely?

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

I wonder why they chose to forgo DirectX entirely? Maybe a hint at a possible Linux port down the line?

Or maybe they just figured there was no reason for them to put in the effort of adding DX when Vulkan does everything just as well without being tied to Windows.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

10 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Because Vulkan is supported since Windows 7, DX12 is not.

And all you need is a GPU from 2012 (Radeon GCN and Kepler on nV Side), so there isn't really a reason to not do it.

Linux doesn't have anything to do with that, that you can use a low level API that might be close to the PS4 API and also support it from Windows 7 onwards does.

Isn't the PS4 OS close to Linux? 

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

10 minutes ago, williamcll said:

It's a fork of FreeBSD 9.0.

9 minutes ago, williamcll said:

Nope, it's firmly a Unix OS, based off of FreeBSD.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Wow, this is a great power move that might influence more devs to make their games work better with Vulkan, which would very likely improve the gaming experience across the industry on Linux.

Does this mean no RTX?

If so, ooohh noooooo /sarcasm

1 minute ago, SADS said:

Does this mean no RTX?

We won't get to enjoy Conner, the android sent by Cyberlife, in all that raytraced glory?!

Good.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, SADS said:

Does this mean no RTX?

If so, ooohh noooooo /sarcasm

Maybe I missed this with the sarcasm but Nvidia has Vulkan extension for raytracing.

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Do you have any informations about the differences between the two??

Not really, Sony loves creating their own things for their consoles though. They have had their own graphics APIs since the original PlayStation, their last one was a fork of OpenGL called PSGL.

Mantle and Vulkan will be a bit larger is scope than GNM/GNMX because the PS4 only has a single GPU possible, with customization, so it'll be tailored to that.

5 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

As far as I know, Vulkan is basically mantle with just renamed features (well, more or less)...

Yep, was handed over to Khronos group after DX12 announced similar feature capabilities and glNext (Vulkan) was announced. Khronos used that Mantle IP to develop glNext/Vulkan in to what it is now, with a lot of work of course.