my schools pc (massive overkill)

aidenrelkoff

you guys are so lucky my old school is using old pentium 3 and 512 MB of ram and onboard graphic  and crt 

and now i'm in college i get to upgrade to pentium 4 yeaaaahhh :P 

but they are preparing new labs with high end imacs and they are slowly upgrading to a better pc i3.i5.i7 mixed bag but the problem these good pcs are taken by prople who open facebook on it :/

Honestly, my high school has iMacs for the video production room and digital photography class, and those cost about the same in all likelihood.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

This almost made me cry when comparing it to what my school has, 

My School runs a range of PC, depending on the department from Pentium 4 HT's to i3 3220's 

(P4 HT, C2D, C2Q, AMD Sempron, Phenom, Athlons, and recently the i3 3220's)

They all run of iGPU's and range from 1280MB DDR2 (667MHz) up to 4GB DDR3 (1066 - 1333MHz)

The schools server is just as pathetic, 

Processor - ? (Probably a gen 1 Xeon)

Ram         - 2-4GB DDR (maybe 2 or 3 if pushing it)

and the icing on the cake, the school houses around 1500 students and about 200 teachers, so all storage on the server has to be shared. Each student gets just 50MB and teachers around 100MB. The last time I checked, the server had only 1 1TB Hard drive to share space for everyone (not including redundancies) 

Also, the Windows 7 experience is cut down, noting fancy such as snap or areo, just bog-o-slandered. 

EDIT: We do have fiber, but its so slow its stupid. In speeds we just beat 10/100 speeds ;)  

In such cases its better to invest in a gaming laptop and bring it to school :P

•  i7 4770k @4.5ghz 1.248v • Noctua NHD14  •  ASUS MAXIMUS VI Hero •  Asus STIRIX 980 Ti •

•  Corsair Vengeance Pro 16Gb  •  Samsung 840 250gb + Samsung 1TB 7200RPM •  BenQ XL2430T 144Hz  •

•  Fractal Design R4  •  CoolerMaster GX650 80+ •  Razer Deathadder Chroma  •  Filco Ninja 2 Red  •  HD600/HE-4/ Fiio E17  • 

In such cases its better to invest in a gaming laptop and bring it to school :P

tell me about it.  :)

Last year, I actually resorted to bringing my own laptop to school. I practically went to the IT technicians and said "I can't do any thing on these over-sized paper weights, grant me access through the firewall." and they did  :D

Ryze of the Phoenix: 
CPU:      AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 4.15GHz
Ram:      64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 @ 3200Mhz (Samsung B-Die & Nanya Technology)
GPU:      MSI RTX 3060 12GB Aero ITX
Storage: Crucial P3 1TB NVMe Gen 4 SSD, 1TB Crucial MX500, Spinning Rust (7TB Internal, 16TB External - All in-use),
PSU:      Cooler Master MWE Gold 750w V2 PSU (Thanks LTT PSU Tier List)
Cooler:   BeQuite! Prue Rock 2 Black Edition
Case:     ThermalTake Versa J22 TG

Passmark 10 Score: 6096.4         CPU-z Score: 4189 MT         Unigine Valley (DX11 @1080p Ultra): 5145         CryEngine Neon Noir (1080p Ultra): 9579

Audio Setup:                  Scarlett 2i2, AudioTechnica AT2020 XLR, Mackie CR3 Monitors, Sennheiser HD559 headphones, HyperX Cloud II Headset, KZ ES4 IEM (Cyan)

Laptop:                            MacBook Pro 2017 (Intel i5 7360U, 8GB DDR3, 128GB SSD, 2x Thunderbolt 3 Ports - No Touch Bar) Catalina & Boot Camp Win10 Pro

Primary Phone:               Xiaomi Mi 11T Pro 5G 256GB (Snapdragon 888)

Our internet cafe is the same but 8GB of RAM and Win 8 :3

@aidenrelkoff And I sitting here still using LGA 775 on my computer :/:D

I have my first PC and its a LGA 775, i very love that PC and now its in water cooling and can play BATTLEFIELD 4. No joke :)

I cried

Can be found on my profiIe

We are forced to use our own laptops, I have a lenovo Y500 but they have a bunch of Pentium 4's with 512mb ram that no one uses because they are slow as hell and we have our own laptops.

How can they expect you to use Microsoft office if you have such a gaming system :P

Some of the computers at my school still run win95...

The waist off money makes me want to barf... How many homeless people could you have feed with that...

CPU: AMD 760k @4ghz | Motherboard: MSI fm2-a55-e33 | RAM: G. skill 4gb @1833 | GPU: AMD HD 7850 | Case: Nzxt 210 Tempest (with glass window mod) | Storage: Adata 128gb ssd | PSU: Raidmax rx-530ss | Display: 720p crap | Cooling: CoolerMaster sickleflow 120 green x4 | Keyboard: crap | Mouse: Razer diamondback | Sound: logitech 2.1 speakers | Operating System: Windows 7 Ult | Battle.net: Voldras #1712

One of our labs is filled with optiplex 780s, idk their specs.

The other lab (where I chill a lot) has Optiplex GX270s, 256MB-1GB RAM (varies), a socket 478 P4, and a GeForce MX 440 with a humongous 64MB of VRAM on a blazing fast AGP 8x interface.

STEAL THAT COMPUTER AND INSTALL A 4770K. THEN I WILL BE HAPPY.

• 1 month later...

so for a while now i have been talking about my schools pcs, and well here is a pic proving that my school has boss pcs ;)

attachicon.gifschoolpc.png

So what do you all thing, is this overkill?

EDIT: i forgot to mention, that we have a 24" and a 17.6" monitor per seat :P

EDIT: for all those that dident believe me:

[attachment=29894:Bosseness.jpg

Holy Balls! That's a vast improvement from the Core 2 Duo's they had before back when I started at Dover... What brand did they go with this time? Funky monitor combination I see too, but at least they're not CRT's anymore. Did they give the old Seanix machine's to Yearbook?

Students might as well be gaming on those machines. Steal one of those 650 Tis when no one's watching :P

We do, or at least did game on the computers in that lab back when they had Core 2 Duo's and a much lower video card. Starcraft friday's, sometimes until 10pm at night, getting the pizza guys to deliver through the lab windows as the front doors to the school were locked. :D Trackmania was fun too.

So overkill... here's a thing I dont understand.. At my school, Aero is disabled because the CPU is a 7 year old Intel core duo POS so it cant even handle that. Lets not even mention the GPU... so here is my question. Why is Aero disabled when you basically have an i7, with 16gb of RAM, and a gaming video card.? LOL.

Aero is disabled due to many incompatibilities with certain softwares used... remember, when I was at the school, they were running XP, deliberately choosing not to upgrade to Vista or 7 at the time because of graphical glitches with some software being used. Netop Vision Classroom Management software was a major problem when I was there, so much so that I could plug in a SanDisk U3 usb drive with password protection enabled during a presentation over the network and the entire lab would need a reboot. :D Fun times.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I can't remember what we had in middle school but we would LAN Quake and Duke 3D during class. Lolz

Super OP AF Killer Retro Emulation PC 360 No Scope 420 Blaze It (Sorry I Couldn't Help It) Seriously Though This PC Is Overkill And Before You Ask It Does Play Crysis 1024x768 60 FPS

Intel Core Duo 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz // ASUS P5N-D // Zalman CNPS9500A Air Cooler // 4GB G.Skill @ 400MHz 5 5 5 31 23 // 2 Way SLI GeForce 9800 GTX+ // 32" SONY WEGA CRT TV 480i // Corsair TX750 // Seagate 3TB // Win XP 32Bit // Sony DVD RW // ANTEC Full Tower // Steel Series H Wireless // Logitech K520 Wireless Keyboard // Logitech M510 Wireless Mouse // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades The New 8Bitdo Wireless SNES Controller With Analog Sticks / 8Bitdo Bluetooth Arcade Fight Stick / Proper HD I Know This Machine Does Not Support 3 TB / Icy Dock 5.25 4 Bay HD Hot Swap Bay For More Seamless Multi Booting Want To Run At Least Win 95, Win XP, Win 7 

i7 3770k @ 4.5Ghz // ASUS Maximus V Formula // CM Hyper 212 EVO // 16GB G.Skill Sniper @ 2133MHz 9 11 10 28 // Crossfire Sapphire 7970 // 42" 4K 60Hz FreeSync WasabiMango IPS // Corsair AX860 // Samsung 1TB 840EVO // Seagate 3TB // Seagate Barracuda 160GB sata II // OCZ Vertex 3 90GB sata III // Win 10 64Bit // ASUS DVD RW // 2 Corsair AF 120 // 2 Corsair SP 120 // 2 xigmatek 120 // Corsair 760t white flavor // NZXT HUE+ RGB Controller // Sennheiser G4me Zero // Steel Series H // Corsair M95 // Corsair K95 // 3 Xbox 360 Controllers // Dolphin Bar // Wii U Mote // Leap Motion Plus // Logitech G27 Racing Wheel // Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS // HORI Fight Stick Mini // 8Bitdo NES30 Pro / FC30 Pro / SNES30 / SFC30 Bluetooth Controllers

Future Upgrades 1080Ti or Vega RX64 http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/16900-nothing-special/

Crap, my school uses pentium 4 and gt 210 with random amounts of ram

And that's what they should use.

What's the point in spending a  lot of money on overkill machines?! If it's a public school then that's where your money at people, paying taxes so they can buy gts 650 ti's and 3770.... in order to run office and create test htlm based web sites in text :)

but probably the director is inviting friends during the weekend and has a massive lan party, pro LoL players or something :)

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.

Damn. My school has either pentium based lenovos (haswell atleast) or 8-10 year old Optima machines. Also, several years worth of students got netbooks which aren't much better.

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

It sucks because, my school only runs mac *crys himself to sleep*

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

my old school used to use pentium 4 with 256mb ram. but recently they bought stuff from me. since it's an IT school pretty much i3's and i5's

edit: how many fps you get on minesweeper? that game is so fucking demanding not even 4 titans can play it at 300fps

Live your life like a dream.

A lot of schools use iMacs already, and some universities with video game courses use Alienwares (ugh).

But seriously, 650 Ti's are ridiculous. You can max a lot of (non recent) games with that. 

hello random lurker welcome to linus tech tips

It sucks because, my school only runs mac *crys himself to sleep*

I am sorry for you :(

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

I am sorry for you :(

Funny thing is that they are better at all the things you actually are supposed to be doing in school and they look good when some VIP visits LOL. My international school (i.e. rich) has iMacs for all the random secretaries that just sit there and deal with making all kinds of appointments. Such a waste for $1000+ computers even if you hate macs.

Our graphic design lab has a few Power PC iMacs and a few newer ones, but all of them are older than the brand new macs (mentioned above they use for show :()

Our school requires every student to have a macbook (I can feel the hate flow though you).

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

Funny thing is that they are better at all the things you actually are supposed to be doing in school and they look good when some VIP visits LOL. My international school (i.e. rich) has iMacs for all the random secretaries that just sit there and deal with making all kinds of appointments. Such a waste for $1000+ computers even if you hate macs.

Our graphic design lab has a few Power PC iMacs and a few newer ones, but all of them are older than the brand new macs (mentioned above they use for show :()

Our school requires every student to have a macbook (I can feel the hate flow though you).

Nah I don't hate apple. I just dislike using their stupid OS. We have them in our photography courses for photoshop and I just hate using them.

"If you do not take your failures seriously you will continue to fail"

Thats impressive.. in my school, we have 17" monitors and core 2 duos with a half height GPU..

ASUS ROG G75VX

Intel i7-3630QM 2.4GHz/3.4GHz Turbo | Nvidia GeForce 670MX 3GB OCed to 736MHz | 750GB HDD | Windows 8.1 | 24 GB 1600MHz RAM | Razer Goliathus Medium | Logitech G400s | Razer Kraken/ JBL J22 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX blue