Surround Sound from Non-Surround Sources

Pyrannha

I've got a 5.1 system, connected to my Crosshair Hero VII via the surround outputs (one 3.5mm for L/R one for rears, one for center/sub) and it all identifies corectly in windows, test tones all that, and it works in games. What I want to do is be able to get some audio out of those rear speakers when i'm just watching YouTube or listening to music. Is there a way to get windows to output to thsoe speakers when there isnt actually a surround signal? Make the smart surround setup a bit dumber in those situations? 

27 minutes ago, Pyrannha said:

I've got a 5.1 system, connected to my Crosshair Hero VII via the surround outputs (one 3.5mm for L/R one for rears, one for center/sub) and it all identifies corectly in windows, test tones all that, and it works in games. What I want to do is be able to get some audio out of those rear speakers when i'm just watching YouTube or listening to music. Is there a way to get windows to output to thsoe speakers when there isnt actually a surround signal? Make the smart surround setup a bit dumber in those situations? 

You can install something like Voicemeter Banana to perform a virtual "mixdown/up" of audio signals as required, however, bear in mind that nothing will magically "upscale" a non-5.1 audio signal to 5.1 for you. The best you'll be able to get is "All Channel Stereo" which is effectively just a way to send the same stereo signal to all speakers.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

That sounds like just what i want. i dont want to create a 5.1 soundscape, i just want some music out of the rear speakers.

download the youtube videos with some program, and then configure your media player to copy the front channels to the other channels you want.

I've beenmessing with this a while and haven't been able to figure how to actualy create that All Channel Stereo setup like you were talking about Kirashi. Do you have any links for a tutorial or something? Everything i've found is mostly just focusing on streamers and content creation.