NEW STEAM UI

CharminUltraStrong

Steam UI Poll  

20 members have voted

1. 1. New 2019 Steam UI

• Love the new UI
    • I prefer the old UI
    • I like both

Was curious about everyone's take on the new Steam UI? Personally, I welcome the updated look since old steam has begun to look pretty dated. The store has always felt a bit jumbled and overwhelming to look at, at times. Many of us have used skins in the past but come back to stock Steam every once in a while, I do hope this UI update won't effect skin installations! I'm certain that "Legacy" skins will be developed by the community to put over the new UI at some point but it'd be nice if Steam baked the ability to switch between old and new Steam UI's.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

From what I've seen of the redesign, it looks like a cluttered mess to me.

I agree almost entirely with how Luke felt when discussing it on WAN, I don't have the confidence in Valve to competently redesign it.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Is the new UI available yet? I just enabled the Steam Beta mode and downloaded the Beta version of the Steam Client and I only have the old design?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 minutes ago, Semper said:

I agree almost entirely with how Luke felt when discussing it on WAN, I don't have the confidence in Valve to competently redesign it.

Im with you, I dont like change, it works fine right now, leave it alone

11 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Is the new UI available yet? I just enabled the Steam Beta mode and downloaded the Beta version of the Steam Client and I only have the old design?

To my knowledge, no.

The Louvre

Lian-Li PC-O11 DW   |   ZOTAC RTX 2080   |   Core i5 9600k   |   SeaSonic FOCUS Plus 650W Platinum   |   MSI MPG Z390 Gaming Pro Carbon  |  2x16Gb TRIDENT Z ROYAL  |   2xSX8200 240Gb NVME SSD's  |   1x Seagate Firecuda 1TB   |   EVGA Closed Loop Cooler 280mm   |   1x MSI MPG27C Monitor

12 minutes ago, Semper said:

Eh I dunno. Never been a fan of the stock Steam UI. Granted, I'm a HEAVY big picture mode user. I switch between my monitor and my TV multiple times throughout the day. Competitive FPS on the monitor, and racing games, Final Fantasy, Mortal Kombat etc. on the TV. The new UI is pretty close to big picture mode with its very visual approach.

The Louvre

Pretty sure there was a tech news post about this but now I can't find it, I was gonna look at the new UI.

Anyways, the new UI now resembles the epic launcher, picture based. not that that's not useful, but valve is far from innovating here. The side bar is still there, which is good, you get your menu items for the launcher sections. Still, the only real problem was that the current launcher is laggy as hell and either loads slowly or fails to load quite a lot, in addition to taking you to the incorrect page of the interface when you select something on many occasions, so they could have fixed that to great effect.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I don't like it at all, I much prefer the current UI.

It's more modern but it's just a cluttered mess. Just let me choose my games in peace Valve, I don't want to go through a bunch of menus just to find the game I want to play.

1 hour ago, XR6 said:

I don't like it at all, I much prefer the current UI.

It's more modern but it's just a cluttered mess. Just let me choose my games in peace Valve, I don't want to go through a bunch of menus just to find the game I want to play.

The main issue is that this might totally ruin skins.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

5 hours ago, CharminUltraStrong said:

Eh I dunno. Never been a fan of the stock Steam UI. Granted, I'm a HEAVY big picture mode user. I switch between my monitor and my TV multiple times throughout the day. Competitive FPS on the monitor, and racing games, Final Fantasy, Mortal Kombat etc. on the TV. The new UI is pretty close to big picture mode with its very visual approach.

From that perspective, I can see how it would be useful, given the limitations that controllers have.

It's not a world that I live in though, outside of clicking the button once when BPM was introduced, just to figure out what it is, I've quite literally never used it since. For the same reason that I still don't really care for Windows' Metro style, particularly of 8, but even still to a degree on 10, all I need is a simple list. I don't really care to navigate via icons or pictures.

I don't stick to the default Steam experience directly though, I have a number of skins that I periodically switch between which I feel improve on the bland stock experience, while still maintaining functionality (one of which included a complete wrap redesign). I'm currently using the ever popular PixelVision 2, none of my other skins have been updated since the chat rework however, nor do I expect they will be at any point anymore.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

I'm not going to jump to conclusions based on a couple of pictures. How the new UI works and feels for real can only be determined in practice and thus I am deferring judgment until I can actually try it out for myself and make a properly informed decision.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.