"For Ryzen" RAM - Is that really necessary?

I'm finally updating my dated fx-8370 build with a shiny 2600x and a gtx 1080. Can't wait. 

Last time I built a PC was a simpler time.. RAM wasn't such a headache. LTT and J2C both made videos completely debunking the idea that faster DDR3 = better performance. That's not the case anymore, and I realize with Ryzen I should be investing in fast ram. 

Here's my question - can I get off okay with just a fast ram set that's compatible with my MOBO or must I buy a set that says "For Ryzen" like the G-skill Trident Z set? Honestly the 3200 MHz normal set is 100 CAD cheaper than the "For Ryzen" set and the specs look identical. What's the deal? Is it quintessential? 

For context, I completely intend on overclocking my CPU and GPU once my second AMD system is built. Thanks! 

I really want to build an oil-immersed PC  ^_^

1 hour ago, Jeremykin said:

What's the deal?

Honestly, just get a DDR4-3000 or 3200 kit from a reputable brand like Corsair or G.Skill. No need waste $100 on a "For Ryzen" RAM kit.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

3 minutes ago, Geography said:

Honestly, just get a DDR4-3000 or 3200 kit from a reputable brand like Corsair or G.Skill. No need waste $100 on a "For Ryzen" RAM kit.

or any brand that isn't some sketch aliexpress company

all use hynix, micron or samsung in the end

You don't need specific memory, just buy whatever speed and whatever capacity you want.

3000+Mhz memory isn't as necessary as most people will make it out to be, I perform just fine with a Ryzen 5 1600 and DDR4-2133 memory. Most people who aren't high end power users won't notice enough of a difference to make it a worthwhile purchase.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

You don't need specific memory, just buy whatever speed and whatever capacity you want.

3000+Mhz memory isn't as necessary as most people will make it out to be, I perform just fine with a Ryzen 5 1600 and DDR4-2133 memory. Most people who aren't high end power users won't notice enough of a difference to make it a worthwhile purchase.

OVERCLOCK DEM MEMORY

it's actually a great idea to do, ryzen does perform better on higher speed with even timings

30 minutes ago, Jeremykin said:

I'm finally updating my dated fx-8370 build with a shiny 2600x and a gtx 1080. Can't wait. 

Last time I built a PC was a simpler time.. RAM wasn't such a headache. LTT and J2C both made videos completely debunking the idea that faster DDR3 = better performance. That's not the case anymore, and I realize with Ryzen I should be investing in fast ram. 

Here's my question - can I get off okay with just a fast ram set that's compatible with my MOBO or must I buy a set that says "For Ryzen" like the G-skill Trident Z set? Honestly the 3200 MHz normal set is 100 CAD cheaper than the "For Ryzen" set and the specs look identical. What's the deal? Is it quintessential? 

For context, I completely intend on overclocking my CPU and GPU once my second AMD system is built. Thanks! 

My friend's build uses an Intel Processor and his RAM works fine.

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

2 minutes ago, ImAlsoRan said:

My friend's build uses an Intel Processor and his RAM works fine.

I'm not sure if you missed the part where I mentioned that I'm building a ryzen build, or if you're suggesting that I build Intel. If it's the latter, kindly go away you filthy intel fanboy. 

4 minutes ago, Jeremykin said:

I'm not sure if you missed the part where I mentioned that I'm building a ryzen build, or if you're suggesting that I build Intel. If it's the latter, kindly go away you filthy intel fanboy. 

wow wow

no. stop. not a intel vs amd debate

again

4 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

OVERCLOCK DEM MEMORY

it's actually a great idea to do, ryzen does perform better on higher speed with even timings

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that it isn't 100% necessary to use high speed memory with Ryzen(obviously dependent on use case, but you get the idea).

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, just that it isn't 100% necessary to use high speed memory with Ryzen(obviously dependent on use case, but you get the idea).

All I've heard about ryzen is that it's important to get fast RAM. I know that's not the case with other processors, but why do you say that for ryzen?

6 minutes ago, Jeremykin said:

All I've heard about ryzen is that it's important to get fast RAM. I know that's not the case with other processors, but why do you say that for ryzen?

It's due to the way Ryzen cores work with Infinity Fabric, higher speed RAM helps the CPU "function" in a manner of speaking.

It's not a 100% requirement though, my CPU does fine while gaming and streaming with just DDR4-2133 memory, so I have no real reason to upgrade(and if I did upgrade, I wouldn't notice a performance difference).

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

It's due to the way Ryzen cores work with Infinity Fabric, higher speed RAM helps the CPU "function" in a manner of speaking.

It's not a 100% requirement though, my CPU does fine while gaming and streaming with just DDR4-2133 memory, so I have no real reason to upgrade(and if I did upgrade, I wouldn't notice a performance difference).

What are your PC specs? and What game(s) are you streaming? Resolution? CPU usage? Thanks.

Just now, oahbpn said:

What are your PC specs? and What game(s) are you streaming? Resolution? CPU usage? Thanks.

On my profile.

Destiny 2, Minecraft.

Playing at 1080p, streaming at 720p.

I don't know my CPU usage off the top of my head, but I encode with NVENC instead of x264

2 hours ago, ReggieGRS said:

@ 2:49 @Crunchy Dragon @LukeSavenije

Does Paul mean the same thing as in this thread? Or does he meant something else?

Cuz i thought it was not a thing about "Ryzen Ram". Or did i misunderstood?

He's most likely talking about memory that is on the motherboard's QVL(qualified vendor list) and is therefore completely supported.

That's not the same as memory being marketed specifically for Ryzen.