Does anyone have a gaming Pc rig in thd living room?

Dominicgohwk
Go to solution Solved by Bitter,

I've built my own "HTPC" for watching Netflix, other websites, youtube, downloaded content, and some gaming. I used a Coolermaster Elite130 case as the base and then put inside what I had available at the current budget. Right now that's an undervolted i3 4130, 8GB DDR3, and a 4GB GTX 960. Not really a gaming machine in the current form but following standard component sizes allows it to be upgraded with ease later on. It's fairly small in size and can be made to run cool and quiet with the right hardware and cooling choices. There's some good ITX sized boards out there which will support higher end hardware, but you are limited to a 2 slot video card.

Been wanting to get a gaming Pc rig in my living room but it doesn't seem like there are any much pre-built options. Does anyone have any tips and suggestions on whether a gaming pc in the living room is actually worth the experience? 

I've built my own "HTPC" for watching Netflix, other websites, youtube, downloaded content, and some gaming. I used a Coolermaster Elite130 case as the base and then put inside what I had available at the current budget. Right now that's an undervolted i3 4130, 8GB DDR3, and a 4GB GTX 960. Not really a gaming machine in the current form but following standard component sizes allows it to be upgraded with ease later on. It's fairly small in size and can be made to run cool and quiet with the right hardware and cooling choices. There's some good ITX sized boards out there which will support higher end hardware, but you are limited to a 2 slot video card.

I do have an HTPC in my living room with a Ryzen 5 2400g and a GTX 1060 3gb card for casual gaming in there and watching hulu, netflix, twitch etc with the wife. Its an ITX system that nice and small in a tiny Silverstone chassis. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

I have mine in the living room.  You can switch inputs just like you would for a game console if you have multiple devices hooked into your monitor.  I use mine for Netflix, Youtube and movies, so It has a lot of practicality in that space.

It's not physically in the living room but I can play from there.  It's actually sits in the basement next to the home theater and routes through the receiver.  I have the second zone output going to the TV on the first floor.  It's nice because I can individually run different input/output to the home theater and first floor independently.  The biggest challenge was drop out of the wireless kb/mouse and XB1 controller.  I ended up getting a longer usb cable and hub which I routed just below the upstairs room and still gives me good range downstairs.  It also serves as a media/Plex server so I directly watch from it or stream to other devices.

Gaming - AMD TR 3970X | ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme II | G.SKILL Neo 3600 64GB | Zotac Nvidia 2080 Ti AMP | 2x Sabarent 1TB NVMe | Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000w | Corsair K70 RGB Lux | Corsiar M65 | 2x ASUS Rog PG279Q | BenQ EW3270U | Windows 10 Pro | EKWB Custom loop

ITX - Intel i7-10700k | Asus ROG Z490-I Gaming | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 2080 Super| Samsung 970 Evo 1TB | Samsung 860 Evo 1TB SSD | NZXT H1| Windows 10 Pro

HTPC - Intel i9-9900k | Asus ROG Maximus XI Code | G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 3200 32GB | EVGA 1070 | Samsung 970 1TB | WD Blue 1TB SSD | NZXT H700  | EVGA G3 1000W | Corsair H150i | Windows 10 Pro

Servers - SuperMicro 846 | 2x 2695L V2 | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 24 x 6TB | FreeNas - SuperMicro 826 | 2 x 2695L | 128GB | Chelsio 10Gbe | Chelsio 40Gbe | 8 x 10TB | 847 24 x 1TB SSD | Windows Server 2019

Work - Dell XPS 15 9560 | i7-7700HQ | 32 GB RAM | 1TB NVMe | 4k dsiplay

My main PC has been in the living room for as long as we've lived in this house. It does add a lot to our experience as my wife and I tend to play together. I have a Micro-ATX build on a desk that's part of my main media center.

I plan on buying a new TV somewhere this year to add a "monitor" to my pc, so that I can expand this.

I have my Nvidia Shield in the living room, which I would consider to be a superior option to have a pc there, just for the usability of the shield in day to day activities outside of gaming.

1. GLaDOS: i5 6600 EVGA GTX 1070 FE EVGA Z170 Stinger Cooler Master GeminS524 V2 With LTT Noctua NFF12 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB 3200 MHz Corsair SF450 850 EVO 500 Gb CableMod Widebeam White LED 60cm 2x Asus VN248H-P, Dell 12" G502 Proteus Core Logitech G610 Orion Cherry Brown Logitech Z506 Sennheiser HD 518 MSX
  2. Lenovo Z40 i5-4200U GT 820M 6 GB RAM 840 EVO 120 GB
  3. Moto X4 G.Skill 32 GB Micro SD Spigen Case Project Fi

Depends on if that's the experience you want.

I drag my desktop downstairs to the living room from time to time (my machine isn't light but it isn't large either) to play Forza Horizon 4 and it does that very well.

I'd like to go Ryzen for my secondary desktop so I'm not stuck playing games from 2013 or older competently but we'll see how that goes. Right now it's got a Phenom II X3 B75 and that mainly just plays YouTube and Spotify.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.