First Server, and domain

Im going to be getting an older lenovo think station used as a server from a friend thats giving it to me in turn for setting up a plex server for him on it. Along with a plex server i want to set up an xmpp server, a mail server(going to mention a domain) and host a few occasional game servers as well as a plain storage server i can access from school on my laptop or remote into a virtual machine when i need more power than my lenovo t410.

I was also thinking about buying a domain since i can get ones i like for around $6 a year, however since im doing this from home and have a dynamic public ip i recognize i need to use a DDNS, i was planing on using dyn.com but have never done anything with servers or domains apart from my MTA in server administration in high school. 

If i buy a domain from somewhere like domain.com how do i go about setting up the DDNS for it using dyndns?

And if anyone can get me some useful information on SRV Records and how to set them up that would be great too.

Server is a lenovo thinkstation, dont know the exact specs at the moment but i will be running Windows Server 2016.

16 hours ago, BostonBoston said:

I was also thinking about buying a domain since i can get ones i like for around $6 a year, however since im doing this from home and have a dynamic public ip i recognize i need to use a DDNS, i was planing on using dyn.com but have never done anything with servers or domains apart from my MTA in server administration in high school. 

If i buy a domain from somewhere like domain.com how do i go about setting up the DDNS for it using dyndns?

And if anyone can get me some useful information on SRV Records and how to set them up that would be great too.

Expect at least 25% of your mail to be bounced.

Set up DDNS for an A record.

Buy the domain

Set up an MX Record pointing to your A Record.

Also create a TXT Record for:

v=spf1 mx ~all

This should mitigate at least the SPF issue.

In the long term, get a mail relay service or a static IP which you can set an PTR Record for.

Edited by Acedia

You download a DDNS agent to run on your server or desktop which would update your public DNS records. Or if you're running a device (some asus routers / dd-wrt / tomato) or a firewall, some of these also support updating your public DNS.

I've used Namecheap which has their own agent, as well as google domains. 

Some ISPs block outbound port 25 (SMTP) to help stop botnets from mass sending mail, so if you setup your mail server and can receive but not send, contact your ISP. One work around is to use the ISP's mail server to send out mail too.

honestly nowadays there's no good reason to host your own mailserver unless you want practice/lab for a business that needs to host on-prem email.

if you buy a domain just use a hosted email service with it too. thousands of companies to choose from.