Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Xaryon

Looking for old drivers for my Retro Build

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi,

so I had this idea - there are many Sleeper PCs, where you put good, even high-end parts into old, crappy cases. I did a reverse - I put old, "crappy" parts into a modern case (but the one which doesn't have too much bling too) to make a Reverse Sleeper. I used:

- Athlon XP 3200+ CPU

- 2x 512MB DDR RAM sticks

- ABit NF7-S motherboard

- ATI Radeon 2600 Pro AGP GPU

- 160GB IDE HDD

- A floppy drive

- A DVD drive

- 400W PSU

- Sound Blaster Audigy SB0090

And the OS of my choice was a Windows 98 SE, still wrapped in plastic, with never used licence key.I know that some parts are an overkill, but that's not the point of this post, so if you want to tell me what I should've used - save it, those were the ones I had on hand.

The build works perfectly, it's not loud, it doesn't overheat. BUT. I cannot find some of the drivers for this setup, especially for a GPU. Even if I do find ones that should work on W98SE, the installer is actually for XP or newer and it closes.

Any ideas where I could find a website filled with older drivers for older OSes?

"SteamBox" -> CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 | RAM: Crucial 2x8GB 1600MHz Ballistix Sport CL9 DDR3 | MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H rev 1.1 | GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 Aorus Extreme 6GB | PSU: Corsair VS Series 550W | Storage: SSD: Silicon Power Slim S55 120GB / HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 1TB & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120v ver. 2 | Displays: Benq GW 2255 | Case: Corsair Spec-01 Red

36 minutes ago, Xaryon said:

Hi,

so I had this idea - there are many Sleeper PCs, where you put good, even high-end parts into old, crappy cases. I did a reverse - I put old, "crappy" parts into a modern case (but the one which doesn't have too much bling too) to make a Reverse Sleeper. I used:

- Athlon XP 3200+ CPU

- 2x 512MB DDR RAM sticks

- ABit NF7-S motherboard

- ATI Radeon 2500 Pro AGP GPU

- 160GB IDE HDD

- A floppy drive

- A DVD drive

- 400W PSU

And the OS of my choice was a Windows 98 SE, still wrapped in plastic, with never used licence key.I know that some parts are an overkill, but that's not the point of this post, so if you want to tell me what I should've used - save it, those were the ones I had on hand.

The build works perfectly, it's not loud, it doesn't overheat. BUT. I cannot find some of the drivers for this setup, especially for a GPU. Even if I do find ones that should work on W98SE, the installer is actually for XP or newer and it closes.

Any ideas where I could find a website filled with older drivers for older OSes?

Try Snappy, it's a free tool, safe, that contains mostly all possible drivers...

just google snappy driver and go to the first link sdi-tool and you can either download the full package like 15 GBs which is too long so you can use the online one that will simply scan then suggest drivers then you can select the one you want etc..and it will only download those drivers

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: EVGA G3 SuperNova 650W / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

BTW I had this build like 15 years ago :)  I was 16 at the time and enjoyed so much to play cs 1.6 I don't remember the GPU I had tho

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: EVGA G3 SuperNova 650W / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

15 hours ago, gbergeron said:

Try Snappy, it's a free tool, safe, that contains mostly all possible drivers...

just google snappy driver and go to the first link sdi-tool and you can either download the full package like 15 GBs which is too long so you can use the online one that will simply scan then suggest drivers then you can select the one you want etc..and it will only download those drivers

I try I'll have to download the whole package, since ethernet is one of those things that doesn't work, even with the nVidia chipset drivers I downloaded.

"SteamBox" -> CPU: Intel Core i7-3770 | RAM: Crucial 2x8GB 1600MHz Ballistix Sport CL9 DDR3 | MOBO: Gigabyte GA-Z77-DS3H rev 1.1 | GPU: Gigabyte nVidia GeForce GTX 1060 Aorus Extreme 6GB | PSU: Corsair VS Series 550W | Storage: SSD: Silicon Power Slim S55 120GB / HDD: Hitachi Travelstar 7K1000 1TB & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120v ver. 2 | Displays: Benq GW 2255 | Case: Corsair Spec-01 Red

On 3/23/2019 at 1:30 AM, gbergeron said:

Welp. That didn't work. I found some GPU drivers that SHOULD work, but the installer doesn't recognize my GPU. And the drivers for sound card are supposed to be for W98, but they won't work unless they're installed on XP OS.