Define R6 Radiators/Fans config

HatClipD
Go to solution Solved by Ravendarat,

I have this case, the front is either 2x140 or 3x120, cannot do 3x140. I have a Corsair 115i platinum up top in mine, I believe the Kraken is the same physical width, I am running Corsair Vengence ram, no lights and they are short and they JUST clear, like MAYBE a mm of space so that trident z might be an issue. As for your rear, I am sitting here looking at mine and I cant see you having any problems mounting that there. Also doing 3x120 up front with the 360 up top wont be of any concern I dont think

Hi guys,

I am am getting ready to build in a Define R6 with a Crosshair vii and ryzen 2700x, haven’t decided on the gpu yet. My last build was 10 years ago so for the last three weeks I’ve been updating myself on all the current products. 

What I am wanting to do and I’m not sure if it’s possible is, install a kraken x72 up top for the cpu, a kraken x42 in the rear for the gpu(kraken g12 bracket) and than 3 x 120 in the front, or 3x 140. Is this possible to do in this case? I’ve looked at the manual but I figured I’d ask here with people that actually own the case. One thing I really don’t want to change is the rad up top(unless I have to) because I want to run the aio tubes under the 24pin and the sata cable. Radiator for the gpu I figured in the rear for the best aio tubing look going into the g12. I will be doing a bit of Plastidip painting and the theme is bumblebee(transformers) with everything being black and yellow. All the fans will be nzxt2 as well.

I appreciate any help or suggestions you guys can give me and thanks in advance!!

I've not done water cooling in my R6, but I feel like it would work.

The rear fan has 140mm support, so if you go 120mm rad it should be fine. Any particular reason why you're water cooling the GPU? 

triple rad up top should work, as long as you don't plan on having a DVD drive; I have a DVD drive and can only fit 2 120mm fans. I would go with a 120mm for the GPU rad if you plan on going triple rad for the CPU though, because the height of x72 and x2 might cause some clearance issues. Personally, I would get a double rad on the CPU instead, and a pre-water cooled GPU like the EVGA hybrids.

Primary PC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8G3tXv (Windows 10 Home)

HTPC: - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/KdBb4n (Windows 10 Home)
Server: Dell Precision T7500 - Dual Xeon X5660's, 44GB ECC DDR3, Dell Nvidia GTX 645 (Windows Server 2019 Standard)      

*SLI Rig* - i7-920, MSI-X58 Platinum SLI, 12GB DDR3, Dual EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 in SLI - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/GHw6vW (Windows 7 Pro)

HP DC7900 - Core 2 Duo E8400, 4GB DDR2, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT (Windows Vista)

Compaq Presario 5000 - Pentium 4 1.7Ghz, 1.7GB SDR, PowerColor Radeon 9600 Pro (Windows XP x86 Pro)
Compaq Presario 8772 - Pentium MMX 200Mhz, 48MB PC66, 6GB Quantum HDD, "8GB" HP SATA SSD adapted to IDE (Windows 98 SE)

Asus M32AD - Intel i3-4170, 8GB DDR3, 250GB Seagate 2.5" HDD (converting to SSD soon), EVGA GeForce GTS 250, OEM 350W PSU (Windows 10 Core)

*Haswell Tower* https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3vw6vW (Windows 10 Home)

*ITX Box* - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/r36s6R (Windows 10 Education)

Dell Dimension XPS B800 - Pentium 3 800Mhz, RDRAM

In progress projects:

*Skylake Tower* - Pentium G4400, Asus H110

*Trash Can* - AMD A4-6300

*GPU Test Bench*

*Pfsense router* - Pentium G3220, Asrock H97m Pro A4, 4GB DDR3

Main reason being the aesthetic’s, but for temp purpose as well obviously. I know a lot of people might say it’s silly, I would do a custom loop but I’m really not trying to get into learning all of that. I have a image in my head of this pc with the kraken aios both facing the glass panel with a yellow rgb setting, one of the tube yellow, other black etc. and many other little touches to make it different..I’m just really trying to make a really good looking computer, I guess you can say I’m an enthusiast. 

X42 is a 140mm and I’m wondering if it will be fine with a x72 being up top, will it clear? Also, with there being 360 up top, 140 in rear, can 3x120 fans fit in the front or will I only be able to do 2x 120/140?

X72 will clear top, unless you have really tall ram, and for gpu, I'd put a front 280, although it might not reach.

G.Skill 3200 cas 14 trident z, I think I’ll be fine as far as ram goes. Appreciate your help on it man.

If anyone can confirm a x72 kraken going

up top and the x42 in the rear let me know please.

I have this case, the front is either 2x140 or 3x120, cannot do 3x140. I have a Corsair 115i platinum up top in mine, I believe the Kraken is the same physical width, I am running Corsair Vengence ram, no lights and they are short and they JUST clear, like MAYBE a mm of space so that trident z might be an issue. As for your rear, I am sitting here looking at mine and I cant see you having any problems mounting that there. Also doing 3x120 up front with the 360 up top wont be of any concern I dont think

Thank you so much raven as I was waiting to place the order. Just one last question, do you think the 140 x42 will be good in the rear, or should I go with the 120 m22 I think it’s called version..thank you again!

If you can wait for a few hours when I get home ill take some interior sots of my case with the current gear installed and then you can see the tollerances. I think the 42 will be fine but ill post some pictures and then you can decide, im just at work right now

That’s perfect I will wait, thank you.

Since you have the case and have built in it, maybe you can give me some “heads up”. Last time I built was 10 years ago so I am a little rusty. Will I be needing any fan splitters? I’m getting the nzxt 2 aer 3 fan pack and than the x42 (If fits) and x72. I also ordered the nzxt usb hub (someone told me I’d need one)..motherboard is Asus crosshair vii. I also saw a few builds with people getting some sort of fan splitter that plugged into their gpu fan head? What about any diagonal plug cables? Anything you can think of that you ran into please let me know.

Apologize for jumping all over the place, just trying to prevent ordering multiple times and the wait time caused by it lol..thanks!

Hopefully those pictures help, for reference all my fans except the top two are 120mm, top AIO has 140mm. The second picture shows the clearance on my ram. As for the fan header question I cant really help much there, this was my first build in about 10 years as well lol and I used the included fan hub at first then swapped it out for a Corsair Commander Pro when I changed all my fans out, I dont know the product well enough to be confident in answering your question. Im not sure what a  "diagonal plug cables" but if you mean right angle plugs for things than no there was no need for any of that.

This is EXACTLY what I needed, thanks a lot everyone involved. What is that thing you have in the cd-rom bay? 

With these pictures you’ve solved all my questions, thanks a lot man, really appreciate your time and effort.

21 hours ago, HatClipD said:

What is that thing you have in the cd-rom bay? 

That's the I/O front panel connector wires. The space below that and above the fans is where the 5.25" bay is. 

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25