BROKEN PSU. REPAIR OR REPLACE?

ekadarmawan
Go to solution Solved by Adorable Cat,
2 minutes ago, ekadarmawan said:

Why is that? Would you please leave some explaination?

A power supply is something that takes power from your wall that could potentially kill you, and turns it into stuff your PC can use. If you tried to repair it you risk destroying your entire computer with an absolute fuckton of AC power, or hurting yourself, or both.

You could also just get a new one and be safe.

Hi there.

Recently my electricity voltage is not stable. And my PC got broken.

And then I find out the problem is with the PSU.

What should I do?

Do I need to buy and replace it with the new one?

Orshould I just repair it?

replace

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

replace

2 minutes ago, ekadarmawan said:

A power supply is something that takes power from your wall that could potentially kill you, and turns it into stuff your PC can use. If you tried to repair it you risk destroying your entire computer with an absolute fuckton of AC power, or hurting yourself, or both.

You could also just get a new one and be safe.

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

1 minute ago, ekadarmawan said:

PSUs are complicated and I don't feel it's something that should be opened up without an expertise of the internal design. If you want to open it up, I'd leave it sitting unplugged from everything for 48 hours to make sure you don't get killed from electrocution when you open it up.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

9 minutes ago, ekadarmawan said:

If you have to ask, clearly repairing one is beyond your expertise.

Never ever ever ever open up a PSU yourself.  If there's any issue with it, send it back to the manufacturer.

The capacitors inside a PSU can hold lethal voltages even months after unplugging them. 

We had a member here last summer who ended up in hospital after touching the inside of his PSU.  Not sure if he went into cardiac arrest, but the need for a defibrillator sure points in that direction. 

He made a thread about the whole thing.

Even if fixing it was a thing, there should be a reason why avoid a product that has already failed you once.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

Even if fixing it was a thing, there should be a reason why avoid a product that has already failed you once.

Tbh I'd RMA it, sell the new PSU at a slight loss and buy a better one

46 minutes ago, ekadarmawan said:

Hi there.

Recently my electricity voltage is not stable. And my PC got broken.

And then I find out the problem is with the PSU.

What should I do?

Do I need to buy and replace it with the new one?

Orshould I just repair it?

What PSU, what is the Rest?
where do you live, what's available?

But if the Line Voltage is not stable, you need an online UPS to fix that for you and prevent damage from your PSU.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

5 hours ago, Adorable Cat said:

If you tried to repair it you risk destroying your entire computer with an absolute fuckton of AC power, or hurting yourself, or both.

Thank you for your reply. Now Iam sure to buy a new one

4 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

What PSU, what is the Rest?
where do you live, what's available?

But if the Line Voltage is not stable, you need an online UPS to fix that for you and prevent damage from your PSU.

My PSU is corsair 450watt.

Just an old PC with outdated specs.

Okay I will try that for my next PSU.

5 hours ago, mxk. said:

PSUs are complicated and I don't feel it's something that should be opened up without an expertise of the internal design. If you want to open it up, I'd leave it sitting unplugged from everything for 48 hours to make sure you don't get killed from electrocution when you open it up.

Thank u. Now Iam sure how to handle it. I want to live longer anyway

5 hours ago, Princess Cadence said:

Truee

5 hours ago, Captain Chaos said:

Never ever ever ever open up a PSU yourself.  If there's any issue with it, send it back to the manufacturer.

The capacitors inside a PSU can hold lethal voltages even months after unplugging them. 

We had a member here last summer who ended up in hospital after touching the inside of his PSU.  Not sure if he went into cardiac arrest, but the need for a defibrillator sure points in that direction. 

He made a thread about the whole thing.

Thank you for your answer. Actually yesterday I thought about to open it up. But I dont want to end up in hospital

1 hour ago, ekadarmawan said:

My PSU is corsair 450watt.

Just an old PC with outdated specs.

Okay I will try that for my next PSU.

Corsair has 8 series of PSUs with 450W versions, 2 with 400W versions, and 2 with 430W versions. So that tells us fuck all.

"Old PC with outdated specs" tells us nothing 

That could mean you have a PC with an Intel 8086, with a Hercules Graphics Card, or have a i7 4770k and GTX 980. So means literally nothing.

7 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

If you have to ask, clearly repairing one is beyond your expertise.

Well that's kinda savage and very true. I know you just want to make it short so he don't mess around with the PSU 

15 hours ago, ekadarmawan said:

Thank you for your reply. Now Iam sure to buy a new one

Refer to the PSU tier list to see which one you should buy. Usually I'd go for tier A+ for high end gaming rigs and >tier B for low-mid range builds

Is your PSU still covered by warranty? If it is return it to the manufacturer for replacement.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

23 minutes ago, Joelw2003 said:

replace, if you take it apart and touch the wrong part you're dead. no jokes

you gotta unplug it before opening it.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

1 hour ago, aezakmi said:

you gotta unplug it before opening it.

capacitors and other things exist...

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:31 AM, Comic_Sans_MS said:

"Old PC with outdated specs" tells us nothing 

That could mean you have a PC with an Intel 8086, with a Hercules Graphics Card, or have a i7 4770k and GTX 980. So means literally nothing.

Please pardon me. I just give up on fixing it. So I decide to buy a new one.

16 hours ago, _d0nut said:

Refer to the PSU tier list to see which one you should buy. Usually I'd go for tier A+ for high end gaming rigs and >tier B for low-mid range builds

Thank u very much. I will do it

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

Is your PSU still covered by warranty? If it is return it to the manufacturer for replacement.

Iam not sure. Because I cant find the box anywhere. But even if the warranty still prevail I dont know how to claim it.