why does windows 7 enterprise take so long to start?

just that pc guy
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

Network speed/load is at play also. And remember that school, like companies, tend to use enterprise level Anti-virus, which are very aggressive in their scanning. It scans everything the moment Windows loads (yes, it is a Windows feature that an Anti-virus can load at early stage of the OS loading process, to start doing scans). This severally drops the performance of the system, making startups, logins, logouts slower.

Also, an issue that does happen, many IT simply upgrade their version of Windows but not their group policy. They may have custom script (which generally are poorly coded as they have made them, and aren't developers so they didn't take any cases on optimization and algorithms, let alone performance analysis) where group policies does the same, but where done, because before it was not available. These scripts tend to be forgotten that they are there as they upgrade to newer versions of Windows. Another thing, is many times, when IT setups the mandatory accounts for students, they just setup the account and call it day. They don't optimize things to reduce network file transfer load. While, this is less and less of an issue today, older software sometimes screw things up, by not following Windows documentation properly. For example, they tend to write cache data in Documents folder or AppData\Roaming, instead of AppData\Local, and this is the kind of stuff that you don't want to transfer over the network. It adds load for nothing.

so im a junior in high school and iv been wondering this since windows 7 first came out, why does enterprise take so long to start vs the home use packages. i havent used windows 10 enterprise so i cant say if that has the same problem. but its just a question iv been wondering.

Are you booting from a HDD or something? I can't imagine the school having SSDs in every machine.

A girl who loves to love.

1 minute ago, Aimi said:

Are you booting from a HDD or something? I can't imagine the school having SSDs in every machine.

SSDs in school computers? Bah!

its a hdd, but after login programs take no time to load, they are normal seagate barracudas same ones i use at home

The Enterprise edition has more features enabled compared to the Basic edition.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Also, if the Enterprise Edition PC is joined to an Active Directory Domain, it's likely processing and applying Active Directory Group Polices during startup and login. Depending on how many policies it needs to process, this could noticeably slow down the startup.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, SkyHound0202 said:

The Enterprise edition has more features enabled compared to the Basic edition.

not from what iv seen, we had a sub one day so i decided to take a look on what admin programs are available, and they removed more than given, they always put it in classic theme mode for some stuped reason, and they even went as far as to remove cmd for admins.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Also, if the Enterprise Edition PC is joined to an Active Directory Domain, it's likely processing and applying Active Directory Group Polices during startup and login. Depending on how many policies it needs to process, this could noticeably slow down the startup.

i do see setting up group polices when i start up the machines, could that really slow down a pc that much?

Just now, just that pc guy said:

i do see setting up group polices when i start up the machines, could that really slow down a pc that much?

Indeed it could definitely cause a slowdown. By how much? Entirely depends on the policies, and what the policies do. If this is a school computer, they are likely heavily controlled via group policies.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Indeed it could definitely cause a slowdown. By how much? Entirely depends on the policies, and what the policies do. If this is a school computer, they are likely heavily controlled via group policies.

thats a shame, no wonder they are slow, my school is getting rid of them all, not knowing there actions are causing the slowdowns. most of them are old dell optiplex 780 dt, or sff i cant remember all i know is that they are the smaller one next to mt. sure they have 4gb ram, one of the crappiest cheapest gpus iv seen in my life, but they got a good core 2 duo. danm schools need to know more about computers

5 minutes ago, just that pc guy said:

Considering that part of login lasts a solid 10 minutes on the machines at my old high school, I'd say the answer is a solid yes.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

8 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Considering that part of login lasts a solid 10 minutes on the machines at my old high school, I'd say the answer is a solid yes.

and they wonder why they are so slow, there option is just to remove them, and either get new ones or switch to.... chromebooks

It'll be a combination of applying group policies, slow HDD and copying your roaming profile over the network and then writing it to the slow disk.

1 minute ago, just that pc guy said:

and they wonder why they are so slow, there option is just to remove them, and either get new ones or switch to.... chromebooks

Replacing the clients won't do a whole lot of good if they're not the problem. Quite frankly I find the chances of this district getting that sweet gubberment money to overhaul servers, networking, AND the labs to be extremely slim.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Replacing the clients won't do a whole lot of good if they're not the problem. Quite frankly I find the chances of this district getting that sweet gubberment money to overhaul servers, networking, AND the labs to be extremely slim.

yeah iv seen the school servers before, they are low end dell power edges and theres only like 4 of them, the group policies could so slow because that there isnt a server dedicated to thoes type of tasks, i bet they put the policies and other school power point projects bunched together.

Network speed/load is at play also. And remember that school, like companies, tend to use enterprise level Anti-virus, which are very aggressive in their scanning. It scans everything the moment Windows loads (yes, it is a Windows feature that an Anti-virus can load at early stage of the OS loading process, to start doing scans). This severally drops the performance of the system, making startups, logins, logouts slower.

Also, an issue that does happen, many IT simply upgrade their version of Windows but not their group policy. They may have custom script (which generally are poorly coded as they have made them, and aren't developers so they didn't take any cases on optimization and algorithms, let alone performance analysis) where group policies does the same, but where done, because before it was not available. These scripts tend to be forgotten that they are there as they upgrade to newer versions of Windows. Another thing, is many times, when IT setups the mandatory accounts for students, they just setup the account and call it day. They don't optimize things to reduce network file transfer load. While, this is less and less of an issue today, older software sometimes screw things up, by not following Windows documentation properly. For example, they tend to write cache data in Documents folder or AppData\Roaming, instead of AppData\Local, and this is the kind of stuff that you don't want to transfer over the network. It adds load for nothing.

7 hours ago, just that pc guy said:

Open a CMD window and use 

gpresult /r