Keycaps for keyboard without a backlight (UK)

rjv94

Title pretty much says it.  Basically I got a really good deal on ebay on a Ducky tkl without a backlight (ANSI layout with cherry switches).  What I missed: without the backlight the keycaps are basically illegible!  Any suggestions on a good set of keycaps with enough contrast that they actually work?

I'm in the UK but any and all sources are welcome (God knows what customs will be like in a few months anyway!).

Thanks in advance!

51 minutes ago, rjv94 said:

Title pretty much says it.  Basically I got a really good deal on ebay on a Ducky tkl without a backlight (ANSI layout with cherry switches).  What I missed: without the backlight the keycaps are basically illegible!  Any suggestions on a good set of keycaps with enough contrast that they actually work?

I'm in the UK but any and all sources are welcome (God knows what customs will be like in a few months anyway!).

Thanks in advance!

Price range? It's odd that keycaps are illegible without backlight, maybe they are damaged somehow?

12 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Price range? It's odd that keycaps are illegible without backlight, maybe they are damaged somehow?

Not completely illegible, but dull enough that it's annoying.

As for price: no idea, I assume this stuff is pretty niche so anything decent will be expensive.  

10 minutes ago, rjv94 said:

Not completely illegible, but dull enough that it's annoying.

As for price: no idea, I assume this stuff is pretty niche so anything decent will be expensive.  

Could you take a quick photo maybe? The stuff is not really that niche, many options. You can look for keycaps somewhere like here https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=336 or aliexpres for much cheaper, I bought mine from there, great quality, just look for PBT keycaps.

7 minutes ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Could you take a quick photo maybe? The stuff is not really that niche, many options. 

Again, not illegible but especially with glare the contrast is non-existent...

IMG_0380.thumb.JPG.51409700b14271d7bb110b4f3269eaab.JPG

Just now, rjv94 said:

Again, not illegible but especially with glare the contrast is non-existent...

IMG_0380.thumb.JPG.51409700b14271d7bb110b4f3269eaab.JPG

Well, it looks not that great, but not terrible, from the photo they might be just cheaper abs keycaps that faded overtime a bit, but i'm not a pro when it comes to this, maybe @geo3 or someone else could help you more. You can look for keycaps somewhere like here https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=336 or aliexpres for cheaper, bought mine from there, great quality, just look for PBT keycaps.

1 minute ago, noxdeouroboros said:

Well, it looks not that great, but not terrible, from the photo they might be just cheaper abs keycaps that faded overtime a bit, but i'm not a pro when it comes to this, maybe @geo3 or someone else could help you more. You can look for keycaps somewhere like here https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_list&c=336 or aliexpres for cheaper, bought mine from there, great quality, just look for PBT keycaps.

That's great, thanks.  I'll have a look.  And I jump around from mac/windows and ansi/iso a lot, so for most typing it's fine but I have to look down for the } | \ ~ type keys. 

Just now, rjv94 said:

That's great, thanks.  I'll have a look.  And I jump around from mac/windows and ansi/iso a lot, so for most typing it's fine but I have to look down for the } | \ ~ type keys. 

Wait for the response from others, I don't have that much experience on these things, only bought 2 keycap sets,none of them high contrast,but I have lots and lots free time for research.

Just now, noxdeouroboros said:

Wait for the response from others, I don't have that much experience on these things, only bought 2 keycap sets,none of them high contrast,but I have lots and lots free time for research.

No worries, you've been plenty of help!  I'm new to this stuff as well, hence the rookie mistake when it comes to ebay!

2 minutes ago, geo3 said:

How much are you looking to spend? Any particular look? Aliexpress is one of the best places to find affordable caps. Definitely look for PBT and either double shot or dyesub printing.

I'm aliexpress atm, the prices seem reasonable (too reasonable?) it's just a matter of finding something that isn't florescent pink!  Ah, and adding double shot to the search helps a lot in filtering out the more insane colour schemes...

1 minute ago, rjv94 said:

I'm aliexpress atm, the prices seem reasonable (too reasonable?) it's just a matter of finding something that isn't florescent pink!  Ah, and adding double shot to the search helps a lot in filtering out the more insane colour schemes...

One thing thing to be wary of. If your keyboard has north facing switches don't get Cherry profile caps. On the qwerty row they will contact switch housing interfering with the key stroke. 

2 minutes ago, geo3 said:

One thing thing to be wary of. If your keyboard has north facing switches don't get Cherry profile caps. On the qwerty row they will contact switch housing interfering with the key stroke. 

North facing...?  I've had a look and the switches are oriented the same way the keyboard, i.e. the long side of the switch is aligned with the long side of the keyboard.  Is this north facing?

4 minutes ago, rjv94 said:

North facing...?  I've had a look and the switches are oriented the same way the keyboard, i.e. the long side of the switch is aligned with the long side of the keyboard.  Is this north facing?

Look at the switch housing from the side. One side is more gently sloped than the other. If the more gently sloped side is facing the top of the key board that is north facing.

To elaborate, the steep sloped side is where the switch manufacture puts their branding, the gentle sloped side is where the LED goes if it has one.

5 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Look at the switch housing from the side. One side is more gently sloped than the other. If the more gently sloped side is facing the top of the key board that is north facing.

To elaborate, the steep sloped side is where the switch manufacture puts their branding, the gentle sloped side is where the LED goes if it has one.

It looks pretty flat...  "Cherry" is written upside down relative to the keyboard, does that help?

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

You have north facing then.

OK, thanks.  I'll be careful not to get Cherry profile caps.  Thanks again for all the help, I hadn't even considered that switch orientation differed between keyboards!