PC keeps freezing without BSOD

TooEasyL2P

Hi,

I have mostly new PC. GPU, CPU, RAM and MB was bought few weeks ago.

And getting random freezes of whole PC while playing games like witcher 3 or conan exiles. Fine with Elder Scroll Onlines or League of Legends.

I'm at lost here. Because PC freezes and there's no BSOD or error. I have waited with frozen PC about 20 minutes before restarting. Event viewer doesn't show any problems at that time. Only that PC power were cut off unexpectedly. When I restarted it.

Could someone help what to check at this point?

Crashes are random. Sometimes every 20 minutes, sometimes not a single one whole day. Screen freezes and after few second numlock light stops working. No artifacts on screen.

CPU: Ryzen 2600
GPU: RX590
MB: Asrock BM450 Pro4
RAM: G.Skill Fortis DDR4-2400
PSU: OCZ ZT 650W

Nothing else happening, PC doesn't work slow or something. Not overheating.

Have you overclocked anything? How much RAM is in the system? You could try running memtest86 to find if the RAM is causing problems (though this may take a couple hours to make a few passes)

Does this only happen when you're in fullscreen?

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Nothing is overclocked or changed somehow. Everything is in default settings. 16 GB of RAM.

I can try to run memtest86 if needed. Tho I have used windows 10 built in memory test. It starts before windows and goes for half an hour or so. No problems were found.

And I play only (If possible) windowed borderless. So Conan Exiles is running in windowed borderless, witcher 3 i think don't have this and is running in fullscreen only.

Edit: Before freezing there's no FPS drop. You just play and you see that everything just stopped.

On 3/22/2019 at 5:23 PM, Imbellis said:

Have you overclocked anything? How much RAM is in the system? You could try running memtest86 to find if the RAM is causing problems (though this may take a couple hours to make a few passes)

Does this only happen when you're in fullscreen?

Completed memtest86 runs on both ram sticks.

MemTest86-Report-20190330-112030.html

MemTest86-Report-20190330-135531.html

I would suspect the system drive, at least if the culprit games are installed on that drive. Failing to read from a drive that is also a system drive could cause these problems.

My only talent in life is troubleshooting and fixing stuff.

1 hour ago, TheKent said:

I would suspect the system drive, at least if the culprit games are installed on that drive. Failing to read from a drive that is also a system drive could cause these problems.

Have checked all disks and no problems were found and there's more games in those disks. And they work without problems. And they are in different SSD than windows. So even if that SSD fails it should give BSOD or something because windows ssd is up. And games from windows ssd works fine as well.

Edit: And OS SSD is pretty much new. Sure it can still be defective, but unlikely.

I suppose you have already tried this, but what about BIOS update (and GPU driver)?

On the ASRock support site for B450M Pro4 show quite a few BIOS updates that corrects problems with GPU's.

Not really spot on the issues you have, but it would be worth a try if you haven't done so yet.

Link to ASRock support site:

https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450M Pro4/#BIOS

I don't remember if I did update when I got this motherboard, but there's option to update in bios and it didn't found new versions. Other drivers are up to date as well.