Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sushimus

Jankiest Thing You've Done?

My first personal build used a Fractal Design Core 1000 for the case, and I never realized that the motherboard mounting for older cases like that was a little too small for my brand new, high end Z270m Mortar board. I ended up using pliers and force to rip out the metal from the disk drive mount, just to be able to fit my mobo in. it worked, and it makes me glad that case didnt have a side window.

i was sick of the Phanteks P400 having sh"tty intake airflow so i took an anglegrinder to the front panel.

after that i covered it with the magnetic mesh thing that was meant to be on the top.

dropped 4 degrees Celsius on CPU temp under load.

oh i also made an rgb extender cable.

IMG_20190416_103345.jpg

IMG_20190416_103338.jpg

On 3/22/2019 at 10:49 AM, Lagercat1 said:

ive made homemade LED strips, made a desktop out of a broken core to duo laptop, used broken intel stock coolers to cool cpus, used my hand to cool a cpu while testing a mobo, ive held gpus on like 2 fingers while there running, i think im slightly more jank then you lmfao

If there was a "Wow" reaction, I would have used it by now

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G RAM: G Skill Aegis 1x8gb DDR4 - 3000 (Probably should have gone dual channel, but was attempting to save every buck I could while still maintaining at least 1tb of storage) MOBO: ASRock B450 pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb WD Blue PSU: Corsair CXM 450w Case: Raidmax Galaxy (Pain in the butt to build with, but it's beautiful.)

Phone: Pixel 2 XL (Forced to switch from iPhone X, because my mom returned it. I got this from my uncle and couldn't be happier, it performs a heck of a lot better than my iPhone, never going back to apple now.) Idgaf about apple anymore, basically on cloud nine with this thing.

When I was repairing my first pc (an old compaq presario), I accidentally ripped off the port that connected the 5400rpm HDD (it was only 240gb, but it was the only drive in the pc) to the motherboard. Anyway, I managed to put the port back on without anyone noticing, and all was well (Later, I managed to make the same mistake and actually ripped off one of the pins, but we can look over that.)

This is what it looked like at first:

image.thumb.png.7b67ef924bae4a77527370946e2ee612.png

This is what the exposed pins looked like

image.thumb.png.aeec9bfb5a1b0914820e84a976a67a5d.png

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is what the repaired PC looked like (Yes, I know the cable management looks like I took tips from linus):

https://i.imgur.com/FViCkcX.jpg

(Sorry I have to link it because of the upload limit)

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G RAM: G Skill Aegis 1x8gb DDR4 - 3000 (Probably should have gone dual channel, but was attempting to save every buck I could while still maintaining at least 1tb of storage) MOBO: ASRock B450 pro4 SSD: Inland 120gb HDD: 1tb WD Blue PSU: Corsair CXM 450w Case: Raidmax Galaxy (Pain in the butt to build with, but it's beautiful.)

Phone: Pixel 2 XL (Forced to switch from iPhone X, because my mom returned it. I got this from my uncle and couldn't be happier, it performs a heck of a lot better than my iPhone, never going back to apple now.) Idgaf about apple anymore, basically on cloud nine with this thing.

Using a soldering iron to poke/melt like 400 holes in a plastic front panel for "improved ventilation".

(this was about 25 years ago, running a cyrix cpu than was instable due to temps; in those days the only fan in a pc was in the psu)

Poked holes it didnt help much 🤣

I bought and installed a $10 CD/DVD drive.  Then I couldn't get it to work properly due to driver issues.  Then I just made an ISO of the "CD I needed to read" using another computer, so I didn't need it anymore.

Now I have a CD drive that only opens, closes, and spins CD's, but doesn't read any information off them.  

10 hours ago, Gmoneyinthebank said:

I bought and installed a $10 CD/DVD drive.  Then I couldn't get it to work properly due to driver issues.  Then I just made an ISO of the "CD I needed to read" using another computer, so I didn't need it anymore.

Now I have a CD drive that only opens, closes, and spins CD's, but doesn't read any information off them.  

Free storage and g fuel holder

Four that qualify

1: No space for internal CDROM, bolted external case to the chassis, drilled through and made permanent IDE external unit

2: No adaptor for 2.5in-3.5in IDE, solder 22 odd strands from a ribbon cable direct to a manky old IDE drive to test, worked for years.

3: Wrong video plug on the end of a hardwired monitor, cut plug and re-solder to the correct plug, worked for ages until I had to switch it back then...

4: Dodgy plug on monitor pulled to much power through GFX card blowing motherboard PCI power rail. Re-worked plug, and jumper burnt tracks, worked for a long time after.

My most dodgy failure, vacuuming a live MB, dog comes and drops slobber covered ball into open case, motherboard died, dog survived.

roughly about 26 years ago, I moved my Amiga 1200 from its keyboard casing into a normal PC Bigtower case. 

So without the tools to make my own Tower backside I needed to make adapter cables to route the mainboard connectors to the back of the tower case.

My initial planning was to use flat cable and the press/cut jacks. But in my vincity I couldn't grab those. So I got about 40 meters of copper doorbell wire, and the needed jacks dsub 25, dsub 23, dsub 9 male/female as solder solution. 

I cut the wire and soldered everyting one to one myself. 

You could guess the inside of the tower looked like a plate of spaghetti with around 100 + wires going everywhere...

I found out after some time, the isolation on the cable wasn't temperature proof, to it shrank down and on the soldered ends there was about 5 cm / 2 inches of bare copper, barely not touching/shorting out. 

I then ordered the initially planned cabling stuff and redid the whole mess... 

The Amiga is still working...

2 Main Systems (mine and my late wifes): AsRock Fatal1ty Z77 Pro, Core I5 3570k @4300, 16 GB Ram DDR3 2133, some SSD, and a 2 TB HDD each, Gainward Phantom 760GTX. (one of those got a Gainward Phoenix GS 1060 if I had waited only a month longer ^^) 

On the Road: Acer Aspire 5 Model A515-51G-54FD, Intel Core i5 7200U, 8 GB DDR4 Ram, 120 GB SSD, 1 TB HDD, Intel CPU GFX and Nvidia MX 150, Full HD IPS display

Media System: Asrock ASRock Z87 Extreme4/TB4, Intel Core i5 4460, 16 GB Ram DDR3 1600 ADATA XPG, 1 275 GB SSD, 4 Seagate Ironwolf 4TB HDD in raid 5, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX (the 560 will be replaced with one of the 760 due to better effeciency)

(Abit Fatal1ty FP9 IN SLI, C2Duo E8400, 6 GB Ram DDR2 800, far too less diskspace, Gainward Phantom 560 GTX broken need fixing)

Nostalgia: Amiga 1200, Tower Build, CPU/FPU/MMU 68EC020, 68030, 68882 @50 Mhz, 10 MByte ram (2 MB Chip, 8 MB Fast), Fast SCSI II, 2 CDRoms, 2 1 GB SCSI II IBM Harddrives, 512 MB Quantum Lightning HDD, self soldered Sync changer to attach VGA displays, WLAN

I'm trying to lose weight, so I set my laptop on a peg board in the garage at work.  This way I can watch youtube while getting my steps in (a mile is a mile even if you are pacing a 20' circle).

Peg Board Desk.jpg

I’m in the middle of my jankiest build yet right now. I’m modding a Mac g5 case to fit an atx board. So far, I’ve had to rewire case io and fans and the motherboard is held on with standoffs on epoxy.

I have three...
My old setup from when I joined the ltt forums...

Spoiler

setup.jpg.0834084ef6cfa8882eee942089428f88.thumb.jpg.cf6a8cf0afd31e54fff03fdb6f4a7de5.jpg

My last pc, a small form factor Dell had to have the hard drive outside of the system since the cpu fan duct/hard drive holder was obstructed by my gpu.

Spoiler

1151874812_IMG_20190322_1703411.thumb.jpg.d0ee612492bedaef140bc04386b994c9.jpg

On my current pc I have attached wire fan guards to my cpu and case fan with twist ties and changed the color of  the white power and hdd activity led's to purple using purple duct tape.
Yes, there is a dead moth inside the cpu fan, I noticed after I posted and looked.
I don't want to know how he got in there since the side panel was on....

Spoiler

1830874924_IMG_20190616_2205141.thumb.jpg.c2a0d1557f14ec5d11c901c9835ede31.jpg948313199_IMG_20190616_2205301.thumb.jpg.1fb849f800a3ee0054cd4efa9575faf3.jpg

I can't seem to avoid making myself seem like I have the equivalent intellect of half a brick.

Dude, I game on a Dell! 

Spoiler

Dell Optiplex 7010 mt
--mobo= Dell 0GY6Y8--cpu= Intel Core i5-3570 3.40 ghz--ram= 8gb generic Samsung DDR3--gpu= Gigabyte Nvidia GTX1050 2gb 1540mhz oc--hdd= Western Digital Scorpio Blue 1tb 7200rpm--monitor= Element LCD hdtv 1080p--OS= Windows 10 Pro 64bit

Still a Dell, but portable.

Spoiler

Dell Latitude E6510
--cpu= Intel Core i7 640m 2.4ghz--ram= 4gb DDR3 unknown brand...hmmmmm--hdd= 500gb WD Scorpio Black--display= 60hz 1080p built in--OS= Linux Ubuntu 16.04lts 64bit

Dude, why does this Dell still function?!

Spoiler

Dell Optiplex 980 sff--mobo= Dell OEM for 980 sff--cpu= Intel Core i5 660 3.2ghz--ram= 8gb Samsung DDR3--gpu= Asus Radeon HD6570 1gb 800mhz oc--hdd= WD Scorpio Blue 500gb--OS= Windows 10 Pro 64bit    
!System not in use, possible psu failure immanent!

Wait, these aren't pc's!

Spoiler

2x Xbox One SPlaystation 4Playstation 2, Wii U3DS XLNintendo 64