Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
myselfolli

Adding quotation marks in editor

Posted · Original PosterOP

So in a lot of text editors you can highlight a section of text you want to add quotation marks to and when pressing the corresponding buttons, the editor will pre- and append the marks to the highlighted text, instead of replacing it. Can we get a feature like that for the forum?

I'm aware that this is more of a creature comfort and probably won't happen, but it's worth a shot ^^

Also sorry for my english and wording, I don't know if I was able to make clear what I meant, but my brain is in weekend-mode already and I cannot think clearly atm :P

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

Could you name text editor doing this? I know some alternative keyboard apps on Android do it, but can't say I would have known Word for example doing this.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Could you name text editor doing this? I know some alternative keyboard apps on Android do it, but can't say I would have known Word for example doing this.

VisualStudio Code for example does this and since I use it a lot for WebDev, I've grown used to it ^^

So is the rest probably

3 hours ago, myselfolli said:

VisualStudio Code for example does this and since I use it a lot for WebDev, I've grown used to it ^^

You could achieve that with macro. Now, I don't disagree with you. But considering this isn't widely used feature, I don't think there would be many users benefitting from it. As they don't know it exists.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Just now, LoGiCalDrm said:

You could achieve that with macro. Now, I don't disagree with you. But considering this isn't widely used feature, I don't think there would be many users benefitting from it. As they don't know it exists.

Yeah most people probably won't use it and as I said it's kind of a creature comfort :P

So is the rest probably

4 hours ago, myselfolli said:

Yeah most people probably won't use it and as I said it's kind of a creature comfort :P

Definitely creature comfort. Having been writing a few fanfics I've gotten quite used to using the quotation marks when I need them. I suppose for coding it could be handy, but I don't see it getting used on this forum in particular.

That's a code editor feature, but it's pretty rare to retroactively add quotes around non-code content, at least in my experience. It would make more sense to add to the code editor I guess, but it would be a lot of effort for a feature that would get used extremely infrequently.

That being said, the quote button does have that effect with blockquotes.

I don't work for Floatplane Media, so any Floatplane comments that I make are my own and may be incorrect or in conflict with the official view.

For Floatplane support, please use the wizard linked in this topic