Gigabyte rig 5 short beeps

Vlad.S

Hi everyone.

I have built my rig around a Gigabyte H370M DS3H, with an i7 8700K and 16GB of DDR4 RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 2400MHz (dual channel kit). 

Intel 5 series 512GB M.2 SSD and a Kingston 240 GB SATA SSD.

In the last 3 months I changed 4 times my GPU.

Before people start to ask why AMD graphics: I need it because I'm also running Hackintosh.

1 GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ RADEON RX 580

• on main PCIE slot it would boot but I would get a very laggy BIOS and in Windows it would crash when installing the drivers;
  • second PCIE slot it worked flawless but limited to 4x;

2 GPU: XFX RADEON RX 580 GTS XXX:

• no problem with PCIE slot but drivers were buggy; constant driver crashes; 

3 GPU: KFA2(Galax in N.America) GeForce GTX 1070 Ti EX-SNPR WHITE

• no problems what so ever - worked like charm;
  • needed to replace it because Apple - nVidia feud over Mohave drivers :(

4 GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ RX Vega 64:

• PC would boot 90% of the times:
  • MEMTest - no memory errors;
  • when restarting I get 5 short beeps and no image (according to Gigabyte manual error is for bad CPU);
  • but after a few CTRL+ALT+DEL or Power Off-On cycles, it POST's normally and boots in Windows;
  • sometimes (1-2% of times) it's very laggy when it boots in WIndows;
  • swapped PSU from a Zalman 700W to a Segotep GP900G 800W;

I've reset the BIOS n-times, flashed all available BIOS versions, set-unset CSR, swapped PSU for a better one etc. but the 5 short beeps are still there.

I am starting to suspect the main board might be faulty.

I'dd appreciate some help!

Thank you

Unless I'm mistaken, did you actually say that you've replaced the CPU to isolate the issue?  If you haven't, then I'd suggest swapping out the CPU with a different one if you've got a spare one lying around.

Also, general stuff like reseating the CPU cooler (could be providing uneven pressure) or making sure you haven't got any thermal paste in the socket, or even checking for bent pins probably wouldn't go amiss.

If you do decide to try any of my suggestions, just make sure you only change one variable at a time, and post the results.  It sounds like it could be a common issue and it'd help anyone else out who may encounter something like this in the future.

Good luck :)

On 3/22/2019 at 2:54 PM, Tad Bittoomuch said:

Unless I'm mistaken, did you actually say that you've replaced the CPU to isolate the issue?  If you haven't, then I'd suggest swapping out the CPU with a different one if you've got a spare one lying around.

Also, general stuff like reseating the CPU cooler (could be providing uneven pressure) or making sure you haven't got any thermal paste in the socket, or even checking for bent pins probably wouldn't go amiss.

If you do decide to try any of my suggestions, just make sure you only change one variable at a time, and post the results.  It sounds like it could be a common issue and it'd help anyone else out who may encounter something like this in the future.

Good luck :)

Thank you for the reply. 

I managed to fix the issue by reseating the CPU. Strange though.

I was in doubt that this could be the problem because the PC booted fine only with IGPU.