Using two PC and 1 pair keyboard+mouse with 1 monitor?

JimmyConrad
Go to solution Solved by nikosgevre,

I am using one pc and one laptop on my desk (and 2 monitors in total) and tried to find a solution for having only one keyboard-mouse set.

Best solution in my opinion: buy a keyboard and a mouse that can connect to multiple devices and switch devices on the fly. I would go with logitech products (logitech g613 for keyboard and logitech mx master 2s for mouse).

In the end, mainly because of budget limitations, I went with only buying the logitech g613 keyboard just because I needed an upgrade on my keyboard anyway. For now I am using synergy. I have some bugs when using multiple monitors and specifically when one monitor is being used from both pc and laptop with a hdmi switch. I have some random disconnects that are a really bummer especially when you are actually working and doing something important. I am planning on buying the logitech mx master 2s in the future.

I do NOT suggest you to rely solely on synergy. I don't know if there is a problem with either my pc or laptop (I doubt it cause they are really good machines both of them) or the fact that the pc is running on windows and the laptop on linux (I guess there shouldn't be any problem with that though), but the random and quite frequent disconnects on the synergy are really really annoying!! Even though I didn't have the chance to try it myself yet, I would recommend you to just buy peripherals that can work on multiple devices and switch on the fly. In the g613 keyboard there is none to very little delay (I can't realize any delay to be honest but I guess there is a small one) while switching devices and it's done with simply pressing a dedicated key on the keyboard. So I guess the same goes for their mouse.

Hey guys, I have two windows 10 PCs use them for editing, but cause of space constrains only have one Ultra Wide Monitor. Any software or switch solutions for this?

I was thinking about synergy the one that Linus promoted, does that work well?

Logitech MX mouses can handle 3 devices over bluetooth and im sure they have some keyboards where you can connect up to 3 devices aswell. It's over bluetooth tho

CPU: Ryzen 5 1600 Cooling: CM 212X  MoBo: Asus Strixx B350-f  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB  GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 ACX 3.0 Black Edition  SSD: WD Blue 240GB  HDD: WD Blue 1TB  PSU: Corsair RM 750x Case: Corsair Crystal 570x Mouse: Corsair Gaming Harpoon Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Headset: Corsair Gaming Void Wireless Dolby 7.1 RGB MousePad: Corsair Gaming MM800 RGB

Synergy works great... I used it probably 10 years ago when i had a laptop and desktop for school. Are you seriously questioning one of Linus's recommendations. I had PIA a year before they switched to PIA. When I found out they switched to the VPN I was already using I was pretty excited, thinking to myself I found something great before Linus started recommending it.

2 hours ago, Vandey said:

Synergy works great... I used it probably 10 years ago when i had a laptop and desktop for school. Are you seriously questioning one of Linus's recommendations. I had PIA a year before they switched to PIA. When I found out they switched to the VPN I was already using I was pretty excited, thinking to myself I found something great before Linus started recommending it.

How will Synergy work when he only has 1 monitor? He needs a KVM.

2 hours ago, Vandey said:

Does it work with just one monitor? I saw on linus video he used one but it was a quad video feed, sitll gonna give it a try the kvm are expensive for a temp necessity 

KVM = (Keyboard, Video, Monitor)  newegg, amazon, ebay, and other computer related websites should have KVM as a keyword to bring up a few switches. 

you can also use "remote desktop" applications. they all can be a pain to setup if you have never "remote desktop" before, such as setting up correct network, or connecting them correctly.

I am using one pc and one laptop on my desk (and 2 monitors in total) and tried to find a solution for having only one keyboard-mouse set.

Best solution in my opinion: buy a keyboard and a mouse that can connect to multiple devices and switch devices on the fly. I would go with logitech products (logitech g613 for keyboard and logitech mx master 2s for mouse).

In the end, mainly because of budget limitations, I went with only buying the logitech g613 keyboard just because I needed an upgrade on my keyboard anyway. For now I am using synergy. I have some bugs when using multiple monitors and specifically when one monitor is being used from both pc and laptop with a hdmi switch. I have some random disconnects that are a really bummer especially when you are actually working and doing something important. I am planning on buying the logitech mx master 2s in the future.

I do NOT suggest you to rely solely on synergy. I don't know if there is a problem with either my pc or laptop (I doubt it cause they are really good machines both of them) or the fact that the pc is running on windows and the laptop on linux (I guess there shouldn't be any problem with that though), but the random and quite frequent disconnects on the synergy are really really annoying!! Even though I didn't have the chance to try it myself yet, I would recommend you to just buy peripherals that can work on multiple devices and switch on the fly. In the g613 keyboard there is none to very little delay (I can't realize any delay to be honest but I guess there is a small one) while switching devices and it's done with simply pressing a dedicated key on the keyboard. So I guess the same goes for their mouse.

CPU Intel i5-4690k | Motherboard Asus Maximus VII Ranger | RAM Kingston HyperX fury 8gb (2x4gb) | GPU sapphire r9 280x vapor-x oc | Case Corsair Carbide 200R | Storage WD Blue 1tb | PSU Corsair CX750M

On 3/22/2019 at 3:01 PM, JimmyConrad said:

Does it work with just one monitor? I saw on linus video he used one but it was a quad video feed, sitll gonna give it a try the kvm are expensive for a temp necessity 

Sorry I misread the original post. I thought you had a laptop screen as well or something. Synergy really only works well with multiple monitors.

18 hours ago, Vandey said:

Sorry I misread the original post. I thought you had a laptop screen as well or something. Synergy really only works well with multiple monitors.

Gotcha thanks, I will use the extra wireless keyboard and mouse I have, and hide it away when not need it. Will look at KVM when I have extra cash.

4 hours ago, JimmyConrad said:

Gotcha thanks, I will use the extra wireless keyboard and mouse I have, and hide it away when not need it. Will look at KVM when I have extra cash.

Don't get me wrong you could use it with one monitor... But it wouldn't work as well as having more than one screen