Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
webguy

The best case for maximum airflow and cooling - $150 budget

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi.  I am building a pc that will be used for gaming and streaming to twitch.  I will be doing the gaming and streaming at the same time on the same pc while also using the capture card to capture video for youtube videos.  I will also be using the pc for video editing and web design work.  I play mostly competitive fps games like apex legends and pubg and will likely be playing at 1440p 165hz.  I plan to buy an i9 9900k and evga 2080 ti black edition gpu with 32gb of 3200 speed ram.  I do not know if I will be overclocking but I might.  My gaming and streaming sessions are likely going to be 12+ hours at a time so I want cooling to be a priority in the case.  I plan to cool the cpu with a noctua nh-d15.

The gpu is a 2 fan gpu and I heard it gets hot so I want a case that has a maximum amount of air flow to help keep the cpu and gpu cool.  I have plenty of room so if a bigger case will help I am fine with a full tower instead of a mid tower unless you think a mid tower is the right size.  I do not care about rgb and I do not really care how the case looks though if the case looks cool that would be nice though air flow and value are the priority.  I like blue white and black if that matters and it would be cool if at least one side was see through.

I originally was thinking about either a nzxt h500 or Thermaltake V200.  What do you think about either of those cases?  Are they really good for air flow or is there something better in that price range?  Which of those two would you pick or do you have a different recommendation?  I do really like how the cougar conquer looks but it is way out of the price range I am looking at.  I will be streaming so noise is something to consider.  I would not mind having multiple fans in the case if it would help keep it really cool.  I keep the room temperature around 68 degrees.

What do you think?  What case would you recommend.  I have been getting advice from here on the forums the last few days and the case is one of the last parts I need to lock down so I can order everything.  Your help and information would be very much appreciated.  Thanks!

I'm sure there will be plenty of people who disagree with me. But I have the Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra and love it. It's a bit over your budget, but you and I seem to think alike here so I'm throwing it your way just incase. I hate cases with a windowed side panel. Give me a mesh side with fan mounts damnit! A 230mm fan blowing DIRECTLY onto the GPU? Fuck yeah. Has a total of 8 fans that come with. 4 front 140mm two top 230mm (one closer to the front is intake, the one closer to the rear is exhaust (i think)) a rear 140mm and a side 230mm. Not to mention all the other mounting options on the side and bottom. Comes with fan headers so one molex plug powers them all (except the back fan, easy motherboard header though). It's a full tower, is stuck with red led's, doesn't look too pretty... But I'll be damned if it ain't "cool". Again, it's what I have and what I know of that I like and would suggest for your purpose. There will surely be someone who comes along with a different case and cooling solution all together. But at least you know about this one now too.

EDIT: I guess there's open frame cases too, but I have my reservations about them. I guess I just feel like my hardware is a bit unprotected, but that's just me.

If you want a good airflow case the NZXT H500 or the Thermaltake V200 are not the best options, I highly recommend the Fractal Design Meshify C TG or Meshify S2, Or from Phanteks the Enthoo Pro M TG or the P600. Gamers Nexus seems to really love the Silverstone Redline RL05 as well. Those are some of the best airflow oriented options on the market. In any manner, I would also recommend some more premium fans with the purchase of your case. 

Noctua NF or Corsair ML? ‖ PSU Tier List

NOTE TO NEWCOMERS Remember to 'Reply' to comments in order for people to see them, this can be done by clicking the arrow icon at the bottom of a comment (Quote).

My Builds

Blueberry Pi : R7 1700 OC@3.9GHz ‖ Asus X470 ROG Crosshair VII Hero Wi-Fi ATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance LED (Blue) 2x16GB 3000MHz ‖ EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition 11GB ‖ EVGA 850W P2 ‖ Cryorig R1 Universal (Blue) ‖ Fractal Design Meshify C TG ATX Mid Tower

Server + Streaming PC : i7-8700k OC@5.0GHz (Delid) ‖ Asus Z370-G Gaming Wi-Fi mATX ‖ Corsair Vengeance RGB 2x8GB (Black) ‖ EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 Gaming iCX 8GB ‖ EVGA 750W P2 ‖ Corsair H100i Pro ‖ 4x IronWolf 8TB 7200RPM (Raid 10) ‖ Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG ATX Mid Tower

New Build In Progress: R7 1700 ‖ Asus B450-I ROG STRIX Gaming ITX ‖ G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB 2800MHz (Grey) ‖ Asus RX 580 Dual Series 8GB ‖ Corsair SF 450W ‖ Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB ‖ Silverstone Sugo SG13WB Mini ITX Case

Big White : i7-6700k OC@4.8GHz ‖ Asus Z270I ROG Gaming Wi-Fi AC ITX  ‖ Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3000MHz (White) ‖ Asus GTX 1060 Dual Series OC 6GB ‖ Corsair RM650i ‖ Thermaltake Frio Silent 12 (White) ‖ Thermaltake Core V1 Snow Edition Mini ITX Cube

Mini IPC : Pentium G4600T ‖ MSI B250I Gaming Pro Wi-Fi AC ITX ‖ Corsair Vengeance 1x8GB 2400MHz (Black) ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ Built-In 150W Inwin PSU ‖ Cryorig C7 ‖ Inwin BQ696 Mini ITX Case W/ PSU Black

Laptop: Dell XPS13 (2017) ‖ i7-7550U ‖ 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz RAM ‖ Intel Integrated Graphics ‖ 512GB m.2 SSD ‖ QHD+ (4K) InfinityEdge Touch Display 

Posted · Original PosterOP

Thank you everyone for the information.  I will look into these cases though I am now looking at the cooler master h500 as my top choice for best air flow.