Windows Defender Antivirus comes to macOS as Microsoft Defender ATP

captain_to_fire
2 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

ummmm

580088247_ScreenShot2019-03-21at23_08_21.png.1d303134079b4784aa25261a68cb1ae7.png

umm what?  I was referring to defender.

EDIT: that is to say, most reviews only put defender a half step behind the main stream AV's because...

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

3 minutes ago, mr moose said:

umm what?  I was referring to defender.

EDIT: that is to say, most reviews only put defender a half step behind the main stream AV's because...

I think you can schedule scans with Windows Defender via gpedit.msc 

There is more that meets the eye
I see the soul that is inside

Just now, captain_to_fire said:

I think you can schedule scans with Windows Defender via gpedit.msc 

I think the reviews I read might be just outside that feature, or that feature wasn't considered by the reviewer to be good enough to be considered a feature (i.e should just be a gui option).  Either way I didn't really think it mattered that much to the general message/outcome.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

58 minutes ago, 2FA said:

And it's a damn shame because Kaspersky performs so well. They were infiltrated by the FSB, and when a senior security researcher at Kasperysky alerted either the NSA or CIA of it (I don't recall which), he was charged and convicted of treason.

Why many, if not all government computers had it wiped off them in several "western" countries. I say in quote as there were probs more that don't have the  Russians in their best buddies list. 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

1 hour ago, 79wjd said:

Good also attracts trash evidently.

In what example?

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

Just now, Hellion said:

In what example?

Xbox Live and Halo

Minecraft

linustechtips.com (jk)

You name it.

13 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

linustechtips.com

FTFY

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

This is probably going to be the least downloaded program ever

35 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Xbox Live and Halo

Minecraft

linustechtips.com (jk)

You name it.

Relating to this topic?

What does windows 10 and ET have in common?

They are both constantly trying to phone home.

37 minutes ago, Hellion said:

Relating to this topic?

Saw your comment out of context and couldn't help myself lol. Sorry.

29 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

What does that mean?

Fixed that for you (FTFY), or I'm wrong and have no idea either.

39 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

What does that mean?

10 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Fixed that for you (FTFY), or I'm wrong and have no idea either.

Not wrong.

The fix was removing the joke part. LTT is good but attracts plenty of trash.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

3 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Not wrong.

The fix was removing the joke part. LTT is good but attracts plenty of trash.

You can't come in here with your Reddit slang and assume everyone will understand it. Give some clarification for those of us who live under a rock next time ;)

2 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

You can't come in here with your Reddit slang and assume everyone will understand it. Give some clarification for those of us who live under a rock next time ;)

I thought it was pretty ubiquitous; TIL ;)

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Why would I install Windows defender when I could install MalwareBytes for the extremely rare occasion where I might need to scan a file? 

Also installing an adblocker kinda removes the need for an anti-virus if you use common sense. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

26 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

I thought it was pretty ubiquitous; TIL ;)

24 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Just had to google TIL.... lol

Today I am feeling young and hip, because I already new both and that sometimes people live under rocks.  ?

Really?! No adenosine triphosphate jokes or comments? I'm disappointed.

3 hours ago, DrMacintosh said:

Why would I install Windows defender when I could install MalwareBytes for the extremely rare occasion where I might need to scan a file? 

Also installing an adblocker kinda removes the need for an anti-virus if you use common sense. 

It’s not for the consumer, it’s for enterprises with mixed workstations of PC and Mac. Instead of buying two separate endpoint security solutions for PC and Mac, it’ll be just one. https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2019/03/21/microsoft-defender-atp-for-mac-new-threat-and-vulnerability-management-capabilities/ 

1 minute ago, captain_to_fire said:

it’s for enterprises with mixed workstations of PC and Mac.

Where do those exist? Mac in enterprise is pretty dead. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

2 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

It’s not for the consumer, it’s for enterprises with mixed workstations of PC and Mac. Instead of buying two separate endpoint security solutions for PC and Max, it’ll be just one. https://www.microsoft.com/security/blog/2019/03/21/microsoft-defender-atp-for-mac-new-threat-and-vulnerability-management-capabilities/ 

But we all know scanning with malwarebytes extremely rarely and using an ad blocker is just as safe as using something like defender. 9_9

1 minute ago, mr moose said:

But we all know scanning with malwarebytes extremely rarely and using an ad blocker is just as safe as using something like defender. 9_9

For the average consumer it is. Most Mac owners never install an antivirus at all and the topic didn’t state it was an enterprise solution.

If it did, I glanced over it. 

4 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Where do those exist? Mac in enterprise is pretty dead. 

Hospitals, schools, small businesses, etc...many of which use Macs or mixed workstations: Macs + a Windows file server. I’m sure @leadeater can think of something similar.