CPU Cooling with BOILING WATER?

nicklmg

I came in here to bash a troll... That's not water you liars

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

2 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

It wouldn't work with water anyway.

In order for this cooling to be pulled off, you need a liquid with a very low boiling point. 

Would work with water at a lower pressure.

Just now, CUDAcores89 said:

I mean the manufacturer had to either choose to use water in a very low pressure environment or use a liquid with a very low boiling point. 

I do wonder if one could do this at home with something like alcohol or another liquid with a low boiling point at room temperature.

Well, vodka cooling has already been done, but bit different way, no boiling involved, just a thirsty slav

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

1 minute ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Come to think of it that would actually be a REALLY cool test LTT could do. Imagine if they tried water cooling but used different liquids with lower boiling points like alcohol or acetone. @nicklmg

In theory there would be a better transfer of heat since these liquids are able to phase change more quickly. I do wonder if LTT filled a standard water cooling loop with a pump with some of these liquids.

Sounds more like something Jay might do

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

38 minutes ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Come to think of it that would actually be a REALLY cool test LTT could do. Imagine if they tried water cooling but used different liquids with lower boiling points like alcohol or acetone. @nicklmg

In theory there would be a better transfer of heat since these liquids are able to phase change more quickly. I do wonder if LTT filled a standard water cooling loop with a pump with some of these liquids.

Well using other liquids could work, they would more than likely end up with their loop exploding volatile vapors all though the room. my thoughts are that they are using low  pressure water in the loop already as it still has a high heat capacity and you can tune the boiling point depending on the amount of vacuum you pull with the limiting factor being where your pipes collapse (which would be why they are using ribbed pipes in the video).

It would be really cool to see this done with hard-line tubing and pull a really good vacuum to get the boiling point down around 20°C. definitely something LMG could try

You forgot to turn the fans on.

You forgot to turn the fans on.

It's "liquid" if you cannot prove it's "water".

Oh, and You forgot to turn the fans on.

:/

1 hour ago, CUDAcores89 said:

Imagine if they tried water cooling but used different liquids with lower boiling points like alcohol or acetone.

It doesn't matter what type of liquid you use, there's always going to be pressure in the loop and in turn raises the boiling point. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

The time Linus replied to me on one of my threads: 

5 hours ago, -Old-Tom- said:

Well using other liquids could work, they would more than likely end up with their loop exploding volatile vapors all though the room. my thoughts are that they are using low  pressure water in the loop already as it still has a high heat capacity and you can tune the boiling point depending on the amount of vacuum you pull with the limiting factor being where your pipes collapse (which would be why they are using ribbed pipes in the video).

It would be really cool to see this done with hard-line tubing and pull a really good vacuum to get the boiling point down around 20°C. definitely something LMG could try

I completely agree, since obviously the fluid is in the vapor phase inside the radiator, that gas would need to have a high heat capacity for better heat transfer (Q=mcaT) and the liquid would need to have a low boiling point as already mentioned in a low pressure environment. However, you'd have to accept the trade offs here since compared to liquid coolant, water vapor conducts heat very poorly, about 94% worse. And would need the vapor to immediately condense back for proper flow/heat transfer. All for the cost of no pump noise. I think it could be achievable, I don't know off the top of my head some probable organic species that meet these criteria but I'm sure there's similar properties.

not watching the bait video . any brief discretion.?

I bet they dont know what boiling water means.   so lower BP by adding impurities & lower atmos pressure, then whats the point of water?

18 minutes ago, kevin_keck said:

I completely agree, since obviously the fluid is in the vapor phase inside the radiator, that gas would need to have a high heat capacity for better heat transfer (Q=mcaT) and the liquid would need to have a low boiling point as already mentioned in a low pressure environment. However, you'd have to accept the trade offs here since compared to liquid coolant, water vapor conducts heat very poorly, about 94% worse. And would need the vapor to immediately condense back for proper flow/heat transfer. All for the cost of no pump noise. I think it could be achievable, I don't know off the top of my head some probable organic species that meet these criteria but I'm sure there's similar properties.

yes it doesn't conduct well but it still convects heat pretty well, it is the same with the liquid phase that's why you need a pump to force convection. there is a decent amount of latent heat with water (2,260 kJ/kg) so if you set things up properly the vapor and liquid will transfer quite a lot of heat around the loop very quickly.

Edit: a quick calculation is that you only need to move 77 mg of water per second to move 180 W of heat.

Not sure I would be comfortable using this 24/7 when the CPU is already hitting high 90's. We all know silicon degrades FAST when HOT, and I wouldn't want to be swapping chips out every year because they got pushed too damn far.

At the end of the day though, if your pump is audible OVER the noise of your multiple fans and mechanical drives then you have bigger issues IMO. I use an old school D5 with the pot set at #4 and sit within 3 feet of it and cannot hear it even when I am up close next to it. And the reason why I don't turn it below #4 is because I have 5 blocks and 5 beefy 80mm thick radiators that need the head pressure to circulate the liquid in my system. The ONLY time I have heard it make any noise was when it was at it's maximum #5 setting, but at that point I had a whirlpool inside the tube res.

Honestly I have had far more obnoxious noise problems from the questionable fans used with some power supplies. Yet nobody seems to bother about making fans on power supplies removable/replaceable. Making those quieter would yield better results than trying to tame a quality D5.

7 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

It doesn't matter what type of liquid you use, there's always going to be pressure in the loop and in turn raises the boiling point. 

The metal "fill tube" looking thing mentioned at the beginning is what is used to create a vacuum inside, so the pressure is lower not higher.

2 hours ago, kevin_keck said:

Latent heat is the energy that is consumed or produced during a phase change of a fluid.

For water vaporization it is 2200kJ/kg, compared to the 4kJ/kg heat capacity.

This is why heat capacity is nearly irrelevant when dealing with phase change cooling systems, the majority of the cooling comes from the change of phase not from the heat capacity.

One last point:

Also, this evaporative cooling AIO is not anywhere near silent, the bubbles and turbulent flowing water are definitely louder than a D5 running on a low setting.

Something like the Calyos system is truly silent.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Did kingpin or de8bauer made a convection cooler not long ago at CES where Linus suspect the coolant was 3M novec ?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

6 hours ago, Enderman said:

The metal "fill tube" looking thing mentioned at the beginning is what is used to create a vacuum inside, so the pressure is lower not higher.

Yes that makes sense. Learning car mechanics we are taught internal combustion engine water cooling where the coolant actually is at higher than atmospheric pressure to raise the boiling point. 

زندگی از چراغ

Intel Core i7 7800X 6C/12T (4.5GHz), Corsair H150i Pro RGB (360mm), Asus Prime X299-A, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4X4GB & 2X8GB 3000MHz DDR4), MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G (2.113GHz core & 9.104GHz memory), 1 Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB NVMe M.2, 1 Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD, 1 Samsung 850 Evo 500GB SSD, 1 WD Red 1TB mechanical drive, Corsair RM750X 80+ Gold fully modular PSU, Corsair Obsidian 750D full tower case, Corsair Glaive RGB mouse, Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 (Cherry MX Red) keyboard, Asus VN247HA (1920x1080 60Hz 16:9), Audio Technica ATH-M20x headphones & Windows 10 Home 64 bit. 

I thought the cooling-thingy in the video was damn neat. I've always hated it when devices make noise and I'd love to make an extremely silent PC -- as long as it didn't cost an arm, leg and a kidney! @LinusTech I hope you'll make an update on the video, if those guys ever send you a newer version of this. I, for one, would totally love to know about any new developments.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

3 hours ago, LinusTechTipsFanFromDarlo said:

Yes that makes sense. Learning car mechanics we are taught internal combustion engine water cooling where the coolant actually is at higher than atmospheric pressure to raise the boiling point. 

Coolant fluids like antifreeze change the freezing point and also change the boiling point...

It appears to be either Fourinert or Novec fluid from 3M. Either would give the same result as both are available with multiple different boiling points.

55 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

Coolant fluids like antifreeze change the freezing point and also change the boiling point...

Yes correct. 

زندگی از چراغ

Anybody know what kinda tubing this is? It looks super flexible.

4 hours ago, AndPeroty said:

I'm actually waiting to see more about that "Crazy cooler prototype - NO pump!" from CES

It's fundamentally the same thing but the CES one looked better if you ask me. (I was going to say it looked cooler but realized that that just wouldn't work.)

What is actually supposed to go here? Some people put their specs, others put random comments or remarks about themselves or others, and there are a few who put cryptic statements.