why is my display not 75Hz

Scorpio 72472
Go to solution Solved by Glenwing,

"Vertical Refresh Frequency" is a technical spec about the physical capabilities of the monitor, it should not be interpreted as a "this is the refresh frequency of the monitor" spec.

It is a 1080p 60 Hz monitor. Like almost all displays, it supports 75 Hz at low resolutions for compatibility with legacy CRT standard formats, but it does not support 75 Hz at full resolution. This is standard practice on almost all monitors. Refer to the manual:

Screenshot_20190321-125325.png

Can we have more information on how you're connecting your card to the monitor?

If you're doing HDMI then you probably can't get 75Hz out of your monitor that way.

EDIT: It seems like you should be able to get 75Hz out of the HDMI port on the montior? That's... odd.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

the monitor is probably limiting HDMI throughput. its not uncommon that you would need to use DP

click Display adapter properties for Display 1, click "Monitor" tab in resulting window, under monitor settings it should have screen refresh rate with a drop down menu, see if it has 75 Hertz in there

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

15 minutes ago, Scorpio 72472 said:

hello,

recently i bought a monitor,

https://www.viewsonic.com/us/va2256-mhd.html#specs

here it says the monitor is 75Hz but in the settings it shows the monitor is 60hz

1. Check monitors own hw cintrolled osd menus for either a refresh rate setting or possibly freesync

2. If it has freesync (dont think it does this case though) Go into nvidia control panel (rmb on desktop); enable gsync if it allows

Before these two steps windows would not show option for 75hz with my setup (different monitor but might be something simmilar in this case)

Alsocheck nvidia control panel > display > change resolution and see what the hz options listed there; if you can select it there, windows might follow

53 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

Can we have more information on how you're connecting your card to the monitor?

If you're doing HDMI then you probably can't get 75Hz out of your monitor that way.

EDIT: It seems like you should be able to get 75Hz out of the HDMI port on the montior? That's... odd.

through hdmi

"Vertical Refresh Frequency" is a technical spec about the physical capabilities of the monitor, it should not be interpreted as a "this is the refresh frequency of the monitor" spec.

It is a 1080p 60 Hz monitor. Like almost all displays, it supports 75 Hz at low resolutions for compatibility with legacy CRT standard formats, but it does not support 75 Hz at full resolution. This is standard practice on almost all monitors. Refer to the manual:

5 hours ago, Glenwing said:

It is a 1080p 60 Hz monitor. Like almost all displays, it supports 75 Hz at low resolutions for compatibility with legacy CRT standard formats, but it does not support 75 Hz at full resolution. This is standard practice on almost all monitors. Refer to the manual:

thank you very much