Metro: Exodus sold "2.5x better" in the same period on the Epic Store versus Last Light on Steam

D13H4RD

Exclusivity is one of things PC gamers hate the most since this is the cancer on consoles that prevents games from ever coming to PC. The last thing we need is more of this exclusivity garbage on PC platform itself.

On 3/21/2019 at 12:48 PM, jaggysnake57 said:

the butt hurt

giphy.gif

im gonna pee

oh god i cant stop laughing

tenor.gif

ok i calm now

you all are missing the point, it still sold, people just dont give a shit about "but muh steam"

You sure about that? Facts speak for themselves. It sold 2.5x better than a 2013 game!!! PC gaming community since than has grown a lot more than 2.5x, in 2013 the game had a peak player count of like 16k... WOW IT DID AMAZING...NOT. Everyday i meet some idiot on the internet and think wow im sure glad im smarter than 95% of the population. Use your head, you think if they sold any meaninful numbers they wouldnt give us the actual number? Which company do you know gives arbitrary numbers like this? None. They give actual numbers, the only reaosn they didnt is because it didnt sell well. Do you realize how much more expensive this game was to make compared to a 2013 game? Now think for a second that they ALSO more than likely spent 2.5x on the development so their overall margin is a lot less... theres a lot more to this shit than you think, and your memes show how incapable you are of actually putting up an argument instead of crying cuz you bought a shitty game on a shitty platform. 

Btw: enjoy your non existent features on Epic, im sure youll have a great customer experience on a store thats LITERALLY designed for the devs and NOT for the customers as explicitly stated by Epics CEO. LMFAO smh.

5 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Exclusivity is one of things PC gamers hate the most since this is the cancer on consoles that prevents games from ever coming to PC. The last thing we need is more of this exclusivity garbage on PC platform itself.

nobody got this worked up over it with anything else that isn't on Steam. everyone's been moving away from them when EA showed it's possible with Origin, then Blizzard Bethesda Ubisoft Windows store... then again Bethesda's going back to steam it seems

Well, you kinda expect first party games to be exclusive to own platform, like Battlefield on Origin. Coz it's their own game and they get 100% from sales on their page. It's annoying, but you can't blame them. Though we'll end up having launcher for every company then which is retarded. I don't get it why games can't be standalone and still auto update themselves. So, on the outside it's like a GOG game, but it maintains itself without hassle of downloading and installing patches manually like in the old days. Sort of game being its own launcher. So in the end games would be convenient to us and no one gave a shit about 300 launchers. You'd just download a small downloader/installer, login and install it. The rest would be the same as with Steam and the likes.

3 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Well, you kinda expect first party games to be exclusive to own platform, like Battlefield on Origin. Coz it's their own game and they get 100% from sales on their page. It's annoying, but you can't blame them. Though we'll end up having launcher for every company then which is retarded. I don't get it why games can't be standalone and still auto update themselves. So, on the outside it's like a GOG game, but it maintains itself without hassle of downloading and installing patches manually like in the old days. Sort of game being its own launcher. So in the end games would be convenient to us and no one gave a shit about 300 launchers. You'd just download a small downloader/installer, login and install it. The rest would be the same as with Steam and the likes.

I think you are right, the platform is mainly for downloading, and social features, and developers don't want to pay a 3rd party and increasingly do not have to.

My idea would be for Microsoft to enable the updating of games through Windows Update, like they do for Microsoft Office. Then games could be updated independently from stores with ease. 

Then also break out the social network features as well. Microsoft is rumored to be doing this with XBox Live, and putting it on even the Switch. The idea being that achievements, friends, group invites... all that stuff handled through a standalone piece of software, that is built to open standard and functions independently from the games themselves. And you could set in Windows which is your default gaming social app, and games would use that app. 

Then games could be sold directly by any company, installed by the user, updated through Windows Update, with Social and Achievements provided by whatever network you set as default. 

6 hours ago, Chett_Manly said:

I think you are right, the platform is mainly for downloading, and social features, and developers don't want to pay a 3rd party and increasingly do not have to.

My idea would be for Microsoft to enable the updating of games through Windows Update, like they do for Microsoft Office. Then games could be updated independently from stores with ease. 

Then also break out the social network features as well. Microsoft is rumored to be doing this with XBox Live, and putting it on even the Switch. The idea being that achievements, friends, group invites... all that stuff handled through a standalone piece of software, that is built to open standard and functions independently from the games themselves. And you could set in Windows which is your default gaming social app, and games would use that app. 

Then games could be sold directly by any company, installed by the user, updated through Windows Update, with Social and Achievements provided by whatever network you set as default. 

I don't think that would be a good idea. Especially from compatibility standpoint and dependency on Microsoft. Remember, we had Windows Live for Games thing and it was garbage.

30 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

make shady deals.

You mean lucrative deal? 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

On 3/26/2019 at 9:04 AM, Arokhantos said:

It was advertised thanks to steam controversy what did you expect ?  Valve should sue Epic and Metro publishers that made decision to pull it off steam, heck im shocked there devs allowed this the job of the publisher is to publish it not pull it off steam and make shady deals.

If Valve didnt expect this to happen, they might not have had a part of their deal that allows them to actually sue them, I think.
If the publisher have the right deal with the devs, devs dont have any say in this situation.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

On 3/22/2019 at 9:15 PM, Jito463 said:

Steam has certainly had its share of issues through the years, but you're the only person I've ever met who claimed Steam just "lost" their library.  Others have lost access because of issues such as charge backs, but that's a completely different scenario than the one you're painting.  Methinks there's more to this story than you're saying.

steam is not the same product now that it was back in the day. theres a reason the memes exist. i know multiple people who've lost their library and entire account (which basically just meant they had to repurchase the orange box).  if people think its bad now, they weren't there when steam was young.  i love steam, but lets not pretend it wasnt complete garbage.  (i still despise egs, but im giving @jones177the benefit of the doubt when it comes to steam)     

also, those sales numbers mean literally nothing. 2.5x more sales than a 6 year old game with no marketing, when the gaming community was literally half what it is now, now that the IP has been properly established, if you account for expected exponential growth, this release is actually a failure. and does not compare to current triple-A titles

BAA8E85AB3986F04DE215462E56B46E35557049F

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

-= Thread cleaned =-

Lets stay on topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

3 hours ago, Tsuki said:

steam is not the same product now that it was back in the day. theres a reason the memes exist. i know multiple people who've lost their library and entire account (which basically just meant they had to repurchase the orange box).  if people think its bad now, they weren't there when steam was young.  i love steam, but lets not pretend it wasnt complete garbage.  (i still despise egs, but im giving @jones177the benefit of the doubt when it comes to steam)     

also, those sales numbers mean literally nothing. 2.5x more sales than a 6 year old game with no marketing, when the gaming community was literally half what it is now, now that the IP has been properly established, if you account for expected exponential growth, this release is actually a failure. and does not compare to current triple-A titles

BAA8E85AB3986F04DE215462E56B46E35557049F

I don't think it was lost. I think I made a mistake with the password or user name and got one of the strangest reactions from a business that I ever had.

This was the first year of Steam and their customer service was not good. If they said "you're probably putting in the wrong password or user name" and gave me the option of changing it, all would have been fine. But instead they said I did not have an account and stopped communicating with me.

At the time I had only bought 2 games directly for Steam.  If I had of sent the email invoice they sent me for those games it probably would of gotten worked out but I didn't even think of it. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

Whatever you make of this news, you cannot claim that gamers abandoned this game en masse because of it being on EGS.

If anything, this proves that the outcry over exclusivities on EGS are a vocal minority. The majority of gamers don't really care that much. If the game is good, they will buy it wherever.

On 3/25/2019 at 10:18 AM, RejZoR said:

Not even the same thing.

The hardware is not exclusive. It is just a software launcher. They're not forcing you to buy an Epic Box.

5 hours ago, Tsuki said:

steam is not the same product now that it was back in the day. theres a reason the memes exist. i know multiple people who've lost their library and entire account (which basically just meant they had to repurchase the orange box).  if people think its bad now, they weren't there when steam was young.

I've been using Steam since it was just an IM client and server locater for CS 1.x, well before HL2 launched, so I know what it's been like through the years.

10 hours ago, Tsuki said:

How did they lose their account?

Desktop: 7800x3d @ stock, 64gb ddr4 @ 6000, 3080Ti, x670 Asus Strix

Laptop: Dell G3 15 - i7-8750h @ stock, 16gb ddr4 @ 2666, 1050Ti 

6 hours ago, maartendc said:

Eh, not entirely.

No hard data other than the vague 2.5x claim. Only thing this proves is that it did not flop.

It’s also worth noting that much of the EGS userbase don’t really use Steam much or at all. Still no real data on how much that affected sales.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, Raskolnikov said:

How did they lose their account?

didnt accept their password,, and it wouldnt recognize the username, or email address he setup with it when he tried to reset it. when he messaged support they apparently didnt have a record of it so he had no choice other than to create a new one.  steam was a steaming pile of trash when was first getting popular, and their support was almost nonexistant. updates deleting game installs, or even corrupting the application forcing you to reinstall it.  it was actually really bad.  but their heart was in the right place and they kept getting better and implementing new, nonspyware, features so i stuck with it.  they actually cared about having a good platform above everything else.

thats the main reason ill pretty much always support steam and gog, despite having issues with both. they care about having a good platform for the community.  uplay, origin, epic games, their platform exists entirely as a place to draw revenue, nothing else. thats why the features dont exist, thats why their now practically falsifying data to show sales numbers, and poaching developers by offering money for exclusive contracts.  

How do Reavers clean their spears?

|Specs in profile|

The Wheel of Time turns, and Ages come and pass, leaving memories that become legend. Legend fades to myth, and even myth is long forgotten when the Age that gave it birth comes again.

Wow, what a dick move. There are lots of people who bought Witcher 2 after Witcher 3 was announced, the same thing happened for Metro LL. Making a statement that the current game is selling better is no news at all.

I thought EGS exclusives aren't that bad, but bold claims like this changed my perspective. Hope people realise this soon enough.