Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MojangYang

Just a curious question

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hi guys. What if I take a drive from a raid 0 array and put it in a pc to read it? Will it show some sort of files show up or will i be asked to reformat it?

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you won't see any files. You may see the incomplete raid array depending on how the raid was setup

I have a simple array of raid one on a server. I put file in that array. I shut the server down. I put one of the drives in a normal pc with windows 10 (no raid controller).

this is that i want to know: what happens next?

9 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

What if I take a drive from a raid 0 array and put it in a pc to read it?

3 minutes ago, MojangYang said:

I have a simple array of raid one on a server.

Raid1 or Raid0? Raid1 is a mirror, with the same data copied to both drives, so it might work fine (emphasis on *might* - honestly don't know, never tried it). Raid0 won't work at all since half of the data is on the other drive.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Raid1 or Raid0? Raid1 is a mirror, with the same data copied to both drives, so it might work fine (emphasis on *might* - honestly don't know, never tried it). Raid0 won't work at all since half of the data is on the other drive.

Sorry it’s 0

Just now, MojangYang said:

Sorry it’s 0

Then you won't be able to access any files. You need the complete RAID array.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x8GB 3000MHz G.Skill Ripjaws 5 | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Corsair H100i AIO | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB | HDD: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB + 2x Seagate Ironwolf 6TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

On RAID 0 the data is distributed in stripes. The size depends on the RAID Controller, but IIRC they are usually between 4-128kb. So if a file is smaller than the stripe size and you use the correct software you might be able to reproduce it.

But in 99% of cases the data is gonzo.