Custom fans on ASUS ROG Strix RX VEGA64 are not working with MSI Afterburner.

Levn

Hey,

i recently got a new ASUS ROG Strix RX VEGA64 + MORPHEUS II & 2x Noctua PWM Fans. The problem is that i can't control the fans at all in afterburner. Here is a screen where i put the pwm adapter in http://imgur.com/AkE7zUY. Same thing happens when i put the fans to the two 4pin headers without the adapter. They just work fine when i put them into the mobo tho. Thanks for the help

Why did you get a Asus Rog Strix vega 64, just to mod it like this?...... Why not get a much cheaper base model and do it, since the 3 fans were already pretty darn good.

You generally have to use Speedfan for these kinds of custom mods, as it controls Fans, although sometimes you can do it through afterburner if it gets picked up

@Levnimage.png.fbbc46127fcbf73d154f59c64b0f7c6a.png
The fan headers on the card are an Asus feature and not a general Nvidia GPU feature. I wouldn't expect MSI's software to support it.

7 minutes ago, Shimejii said:

Why did you get a Asus Rog Strix vega 64, just to mod it like this?...... Why not get a much cheaper base model and do it, since the 3 fans were already pretty darn good.

You generally have to use Speedfan for these kinds of custom mods, as it controls Fans, although sometimes you can do it through afterburner if it gets picked up

I actually wanted to buy the air boost but my BENQ XL2411T doesn't support DP sadly. I already tried tried Speedfan but i cant get it to work. Maybe i will try again tho

3 minutes ago, Necrocomputing said:

@Levnimage.png.fbbc46127fcbf73d154f59c64b0f7c6a.png
The fan headers on the card are an Asus feature and not a general Nvidia GPU feature. I wouldn't expect MSI's software to support it.

Thanks for the reply. I already tried GPU Tweak but i don't like it at all. Does it work good for you?

Just now, Levn said:

Thanks for the reply. I already tried GPU Tweak but i don't like it at all. Does it work good for you?

Honestly I find it works better than afterburner; but then again I find afterburner to be a terrible piece of software. Each their own tastes I guess

@LevnBTW you might need to click this button to and click the check mark next to the "External fan speed" to make theimage.png.fe9fec4759b440b3012518e4c8dabf6a.png option appear; also need to be in advanced mode.

3 minutes ago, Necrocomputing said:

@LevnBTW you might need to click this button to and click the check mark next to the "External fan speed" to make theimage.png.fe9fec4759b440b3012518e4c8dabf6a.png option appear; also need to be in advanced mode.

Thanks, will try it out. How is the overclocking in GPU Tweak? Does everything work?

I am just curious because i heard alot of bad things about GPU Tweak

Well I successfully increased my FPS in benchmarks with it so I'm pretty confident it works (also made things crash by going too far on the dials lol)

4 minutes ago, Necrocomputing said:

Well I successfully increased my FPS in benchmarks with it so I'm pretty confident it works (also made things crash by going too far on the dials lol)

Alright, will it try out then because i don't get anything else to work. Thank you :)

Umm, I installed GPU Tweak II now but i have a problem with the custom fan curve. It worked just fine when i first started it but after a PC restart it just doesn't work anymore. When i want to make a new curve again it just doesn't work at all. Only setting the fan curve to manual works anymore. The GPUTweak monitor doesn't seem to work aswell. It crashes all the time and it seems like the stats that it shows are frozen.

I just completely fresh installed windows and i only have the chipset driver and the gpu driver installed.

9fb6d39a1eee16b6b0576911c81b5212.png

41 minutes ago, Levn said:

Umm, I installed GPU Tweak II now but i have a problem with the custom fan curve. It worked just fine when i first started it but after a PC restart it just doesn't work anymore. When i want to make a new curve again it just doesn't work at all. Only setting the fan curve to manual works anymore. The GPUTweak monitor doesn't seem to work aswell. It crashes all the time and it seems like the stats that it shows are frozen.

I just completely fresh installed windows and i only have the chipset driver and the gpu driver installed.

you forgot to save; after you select apply make sure to select save. otherwise your settings will be lost next time you boot up or change profiles.
image.png.3d9bd2821a5caab074681bdbf0160a80.png

@Levn
GO into settings and enable "Overclocking range enhancement" if you want to remove the limits on the GPU clock dial & memory clock dial. image.png.db2c5a8b17dc206a7cf41b7f145c2fab.png

@Necrocomputing

Thanks for the tips. The other problem is that the GPU Tweak monitor is completely freezed after i start the programm. Do you know what could cause this?

freez.png

@Levnnever had that issue sorry. but don't worry too much about it, it's a separate process from GPU tweakII. Also if and when you do get it working you'll want to disable memo display & photo. Unless you plan on streaming; then you can change them for a message to subscribe & your channel's watermark.
I'm guessing your fans work now though correct ?

19 minutes ago, Necrocomputing said:

@Levnnever had that issue sorry. but don't worry too much about it, it's a separate process from GPU tweakII. Also if and when you do get it working you'll want to disable memo display & photo. Unless you plan on streaming; then you can change them for a message to subscribe & your channel's watermark.
I'm guessing your fans work now though correct ?

Sadly not. As soon as i restart the pc the fan curve is still active but the fans are not spinning at all. This is really wierd

Just now, Levn said:

Sadly not. As soon as i restart the pc the fan curve is still active but the fans are not spinning at all. This is really wierd

how did you set the fan curve ? By default the fans shouldn't spin bellow a certain temperature

2 minutes ago, Necrocomputing said:

how did you set the fan curve ? By default the fans shouldn't spin bellow a certain temperature

Just for the test i did it that they always spin. Wierd is that even when i have the option checked to start GPU Tweak and Montior  minimized, GPU Tweak monitor just don't care and starts not minimized but still freezed and after some clicks the monitor prozess has a error and need to be closed.

image.png.b02a02b9c488b5c413f60f3a6bdacc54.pngAs you can see here I have a Case fan that connected to my GPU; with this fan curve it won't even spin if the card is cooler than 50°c. Using fan auto-calibration is also recommended to see between what voltages your fan actually spins, in my case it doesn't move bellow 26%.

7 minutes ago, Necrocomputing said:

image.png.b02a02b9c488b5c413f60f3a6bdacc54.pngAs you can see here I have a Case fan that connected to my GPU; with this fan curve it won't even spin if the card is cooler than 50°c. Using fan auto-calibration is also recommended to see between what voltages your fan actually spins, in my case it doesn't move bellow 26%.

I have it like this just for testing to see if it works. I don't have that temperature control thing tho.

bbbbbbbbbbbb.png

1 minute ago, Levn said:

I have it like this just for testing to see if it works. I don't have that temperature control thing tho.

bbbbbbbbbbbb.png

and it's still not spinning ? tried selecting manual and just setting it to a static speed ? image.png.4217b71d24d085014c9e9acd4b1b714c.png

@Necrocomputing It works when i press restart on windows but when i press shut down and press the power button on my pc it doesn't work anymore lol.

1 minute ago, Levn said:

@Necrocomputing It works when i press restart on windows but when i press shut down and press the power button on my pc it doesn't work anymore lol.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Windows being weird 

2 minutes ago, Necrocomputing said:

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ Windows being weird 

Yea, maybe i'll find out what causes me the problem. Maybe when i get the freezed GPU Tweak Monitor working the other stuff works too. Thanks for all your help tho xd