Epic Games announces a slew of more EGS exclusives, including The Outer Worlds and Heavy Rain

Delicieuxz

You know what’s funny?

Obsidian is owned by Microsoft.

It’ll apparently also be available on the Microsoft Store.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

43 minutes ago, RotoCoreOne said:

I want to apologize for my opinions first and foremost:

1. I don't understand what the hubbub is all about against EGS. It's not like I have to buy a new PC to be able to use it separate from steam.

2. There have been other games stores (gog) but I wouldn't say that they compete with steam, so I don't know how, other than exclusivity, EGS can actually take marketshare and compete against steam.

3. I rarely browse the steam store these days, there's so many many games that I feel are total waste of time and it's hard to filter out the decent and good games (talking about indie games here).

4. I understand EGS doesn't have as many features as Steam, but Steam has had years to work on these features. As far as I know, EGS is less than a year old(?)

Please shed some light because I really don't get the hate.

The hubbub is that this is a half baked launcher, with questionable security, its been caught spying on users, and then when caught they Sweeney said he'd fix it BECAUSE he got caught. Add on the fact that Tencent owns 40% of the shares of EGS, that makes it so that Tencent has some decent leverage on EGS to do what they want, And that this is bad practice for consumers. Yes, you're not locked out because of a system, but is a new system cheaper than your bank account cleaned out? And to make matters worse, have a problem? good luck. Their customer service is the worst out there..

3 hours ago, handymanshandle said:

Good thing I care about none of those, according to my Steam play time.

D2XbZ.png

The fact that you survived 16 hours of Putt-Putt speaks to the endurance of your soul. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 hours ago, RotoCoreOne said:

1. I don't understand what the hubbub is all about against EGS. It's not like I have to buy a new PC to be able to use it separate from steam.

2. There have been other games stores (gog) but I wouldn't say that they compete with steam, so I don't know how, other than exclusivity, EGS can actually take marketshare and compete against steam.

3. I rarely browse the steam store these days, there's so many many games that I feel are total waste of time and it's hard to filter out the decent and good games (talking about indie games here).

4. I understand EGS doesn't have as many features as Steam, but Steam has had years to work on these features. As far as I know, EGS is less than a year old(?)

Please shed some light because I really don't get the hate.

Its disappointing as these are some games I was going to buy and I don't like EGS or their store, though if you don't care what EGS is doing and still want to play games using the service that is fine IMO.

1. The exclusive deals EGS is doing by grabbing up games and bribing game publishers to only sell on their platform isn't really a good way to compete, and spyware has been found in their launcher.

2. There have been games which the publisher claimed before release would be available on Steam or GOG, then bait and switch taking the EGS deal making it unavailable on Steam or GOG to those people who pre-ordered. I think pre-ordering is always a bad idea but what EGS and the publisher did is still pretty bad.

3. I think Steam could do a better job of filtering games however the amount of games available on Steam is also nice.

4. If EGS put the millions of dollars into their platform instead of the exclusivity deals of locking games into only their platform then EGS could have the same features.

3 hours ago, shermantanker said:

I honestly don’t care what platform a game is on, and as long as I can play it I’m cool. I have enough things in my life to worry about, and complaining about game distribution practices isn’t worth the energy.

EGS requires an online connection all the time to play games.

I don't read the reply to my posts anymore so don't bother.

I'm really reminded of the Win10 launch period. "Free" Upgrades was awesome, then the Telemetry disaster hit. Then MS got abusive about trying to make you upgrade. It's the disrespectful behavior that makes a huge segment look at the company with deep suspicion. 

The other thing to keep in mind is that Fortnite went Fad, so it has a shelf-life of probably another 2 years. Epic wants to keep that Revenue number up, so they're trying to buy market share. Valve still has CS:GO, Dota 2 and (soon) Auto Chess that they own. They also have PUBG and most Free to Play games. Independent launchers isn't the issue (and never really has been for PC Gaming), it's the segmented store for no reason, the data mining and just a platform that's years behind anyone else.

They could have offered EGS Exclusive cosmetic bonuses and -2USD on the launch price and gotten more Revenue than they will in this situation.

My opinion still stands. 

Wanna do an EGS exclusive? Don't do it once you already said you'd launch it on other platforms. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Source: Eurogamer

Some big franchises that have been PlayStation exclusives until now are now coming to PC and will be Epic Store exclusives.

Quantic Dream's trilogy of PlayStation exclusives will soon be PlayStation exclusives no more, with Detroit: Become Human, Heavy Rain and Beyond: Two Souls all coming to PC as Epic Store exclusives in the near future.

It marked part of a series of announcements about further Epic Store acquisitions on PC made at this year's GDC, with upcoming releases The Outer Worlds from Obsidian and Ancestors: The Humankind Odyssey - both part of 2K's new Private Division - both now exclusive to the store. Elsewhere, Ubisoft has committed to bringing more of its games to the store, and games such as Phoenix Point, The Sinking City, Control, Dauntless and Journey to the Savage Planet are all now Epic Store exclusives.

Detroit: Become Human was the first game which trailer actually gave me chills, and it's the one that made me want to get a PlayStation. It's not the only game being announced but that's the most I'm the most excited about. With this and Halo : The Master Chief Collection coming, I'm getting a new graphics card for sure.

4 minutes ago, _Syn_ said:

was really happy then i saw "epic store"... yeah ok..

Agreed. i have no interest or intentions to install the Epic game store ever. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

Agreed. i have no interest or intentions to install the Epic game store ever. 

Me neither, and there's also spyware going on or someshit, i don't wanna deal with that, but even if that's all fake, i have no interest in Epic Store

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

Wait.... so UBISOFT has their own UPlay store. Yet they are going to not release these game on their store, they are going to release it on Epic Store?

Umm... k.

8 minutes ago, WereCat said:

Wait.... so UBISOFT has their own UPlay store. Yet they are going to not release these game on their store, they are going to release it on Epic Store?

Umm... k.

Nah, they'll still be on UPlay. Doesn't exactly make sense when you buy a Ubisoft game on Steam or Epic and still needing UPlay. 

Not to mention they get to have the full 100% cut

Bummed about Outer Worlds. I won’t be using EGS. However I think this is more about capturing the young crowd playing fortnite and retaining them. 

I’ll just try to be a patient gamer. No desire to encourage the Tencent buyout of the gaming industry. 

Youre 4 hours late sadly

well fuck, I just realised my mistake

✨FNIGE✨

Steam or i will pirate the freakin games.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

Cool. Games I don't care about on a platform I care even less about.

43 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

But does the Epic Games Store have Halo? No it doesn't.

I wonder if Epic left a bad taste in Microsoft's mouth for them to release it on Steam or if it was just a decision based on the playerbase.

Was the decision for The Outer Worlds even done by MS or Obsidian though? 

I was excited until I saw that it was going to be the "Epic" Store. Fuck that POS which manages to be worse than Uplay.

1 hour ago, D13H4RD said:

Nah, they'll still be on UPlay. Doesn't exactly make sense when you buy a Ubisoft game on Steam or Epic and still needing UPlay. 

Not to mention they get to have the full 100% cut

Uplay I can sort of deal with because pretty much all of the games I have on it were free through it (I think the only one I paid for was FC3BD), and the client is actually usable (though it wasn't when I was still on mobile internet and ADSL-fuck forced updates).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I see this will appear on pirate bay soon.

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

What's this about violating EU laws?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

3 hours ago, Hiya! said:

Steam or i will pirate the freakin games.

I can't defend EGS, but this "Steam only" attitude is just as shortsighted.

7 hours ago, RotoCoreOne said:

Don't apologize for your opinions, you are entitled to them.

To answer your question it's the ethics of paying money to a 3rd party dev/publisher to get them to remove a game from another store. This is a regular practice in the console world but many of us did not want to see it coming to PC. The devs are signing contracts where they give up the rights to decide where the game is sold within that exclusivity period.

This has been tried by oculus and Microsoft Store before but the big players on PC-  steam/gog/origin/humble bundle etc have never done this. So that means any publisher on these incumbent stores has the freedom to wake up one morning and decide, "Hmmm let's try launching on xyz store maybe we can move another thousand copies"...

So we want to maintain that freedom. If you look at a store like gog.com and check their best selling games which keep the lights on- 90% of them are also on steam. This is possible because Valve doesn't go around offering cash incentives to remove games from other stores. Anybody on steam is free to also sell their game anywhere else at any time. Now in the future if epic is the dominant store they will have backroom contracts and deals with most of the publishers making that kind of store diversity impossible. They will have a more tyrannical grip on PC gaming.

So trying to use these means to create a bigger steam competitor is self defeating. Regardless of who is the top store in 5 years these practices should not be popularised. You may think you are promoting competition but on the long-term you are encouraging more anti-competitive practices.