Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CPotter

Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

A NVIDIA Engineer In His Spare Time Wrote A Vulkan Driver That Works On Older Raspberry Pi

https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=RPi-VK-Driver

github repo: https://github.com/Yours3lf/rpi-vk-driver

i would like to see this tested/reviewed.... maybe another anthony project... 

would love to see wether or not it has improved the pis graphical processing or not. 

real world and in benchmarks....

thanks guys. 

192 Gamers, 1 CPU

Thought this might make for an interesting video to follow up to your 8 Gamers 1 CPU

Premise: AMD MXGPU's enable a single GPU to be partitioned into several virtual ones. GPU's that support this include, s7150, s7150x2 and s7100x. This relies on "SR-IOV" and "Above 4G" options in bios (No licencing needed). Using a supported Hypervisor (ESXi, KVM) you can use the AMD MXGPU driver to partition the GPU for pass-through to many VMs.

Option 1: Use a s7150 or s7150x2. This has been seen on L1techs, nothing too crazy.

Option 2: Holy Sh%t Balls. Use 3 x AMD s7100x GPUs per HP pcie add-in card from a G8 series blade server.

The s7100x is a MXM 3.0b GPU (AKA Laptop GPU form factor) it is designed for blade clusters and high density. 

HP makes an interesting PCIe add-in card that enables 3 x MXM 3.0b cards to share a single x16 slot via an onboard PCIe switch. (HP 716553-001 MXM PCIe Gen8)

This means that you could have up-to 3 x s7100x GPU's per add-in card, and up-to 8 add-in cards on a motherboard like the Asus Z10PE-D8-WS (onboard ASPEED VGA for Hypervisor).

This gives you a maximum of 192 partitioned GPU's each with 1Gb of vRAM. Given that each VM will need a few CPU cores for gaming, I would probably partition each s7100x into 2 GPUs, each with 4GB of vRAM. Using dual E5-2697v4's you can assign 3 vCPU's (2 Physical and 1 HTT) to each VM. 

This gives you 48 VM's each with 3 Cores and 4GB vRAM.

Budget: Each s7100x is ~$150usd, the HP card is ~$300usd. Total is ~$6,000usd

Tips: Use the power cables from the old HP Gen8 blades that have 3 x Tesla m2070q. The Tesla gpus are useless now days, but the cables will adapt from EPS 12v to the HP add-in card as well as from an 8 pin PCIe to EPS 12v for the HP add-in card. Otherwise you will need to make your own power cables. I've been using a PCIe ribbon cable as my case doesn't have enough room for the HP add-in card to fit. It hasn't caused any issues yet. I've had a play with it on my 2 x AMD s7100x GPUs using the HP add-in card and the 16 VMs work pretty well.

I could see this as a ltt video, but it might be better suited for channelsuperfun: a bake off competition (probably cookies) that need to be baked into the shape of and decorated like Stealth hoodies. This is based off of linus’s claim that he would eat his Stealth hoodie (lttstore.com) if there was no ltx2020.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Since the release of Windows 10 back in 2015 have the numerious Windows updates made our computers better or Slower? 

If you had bought a 'balls to the wall' ultimate gaming rig ready for Windows 10 is that computer still able to run the same games from 2015 up to the same standard OR has the Windows updates made upgrades a must??

I have been wondering this for a few days and was interested in finding out! I know Windows updates patch flaws in the OS and gives us extra functionality but at what cost?

Could be interesting to run actual numbers, but for the record I run latest W10 on hardware from way before it even came out, oldest being a 2008 Core 2 Quad Q8200 and as long as you use an SSD and have enough RAM it runs perfectly fine.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

Recently someone implemented Rollback Netcode for Super Smash Brothers Melee using a modified version of the Dolphin Emulator. This can be found on the site slippi.gg.

Because of this, Smash Bros. fans finally get the thing they have always wanted. A good online system.

The Melee community would really appreciate a video showcasing options for a "Portable Netplay Machine".

This would need a 120Hz screen, a dedicated GPU that supports the settings mentioned on the site, at least 1 USB Type A port for a GameCube controller adapter, and optionally an Ethernet port. The Ethernet port is optional since adapters can be used for that one I guess, and for a portable station I would assume WiFi is being used most of the times.

This could even potentially be a mini build with bare minimum specs and a small external monitor.

It's worth pointing out the Melee community is used to playing on small CRT TVs, so screen size isn't too important. While a large screen is nice, a 13in laptop screen works in this case.

I think this would be a great opportunity to talk about netcode (maybe a separate video on a separate channel), and point out machines for a niche community.

Hey guys i saw one video at Adam Savage's youtube channel called Refrigerated Cooling Suits.I think it is a worth a shot using same technics to cool of cpu or cpu+gpu.I would like to try this but i do not have that kind of machines and machinery stuff.Maybe @LinusTech you can try.Also i know you guys have kinda similar thing with big size of cooling parts but it is always cooler when you see the all parts in the case.

PC in a Fridge v2?

PC in a Mini Fridge was actually the first LTT video I ever watched and I was interested if we can see a V2, maybe with help from Brian the Electrician (because he now does refrigeration) and Alex or Colin? 

How about showing how to create a good fan curve for your CPU cooler and case fans (maybe different for intake and exhaust?) in the UEFI or using other software (with Linux support!) that is quiet but also will cool your CPU.

Hello. Only found out your videos a while ago, and then bingewatched them for hours (and even disabled adblock to sponsor you more; a very rare occasion). I saw you using many cooling solutions out there, BUT:

Why wasting the heat? You have a home, you have maybe even a server at home, and you cool the server. But then you also use energy to heat up the water. So instead of wasting the heat, a solution where you not only have a very good cooling solution, but also are able to heat up water. There are already solutions out there, but maybe a more technical review in this kind would be nice.

Because Server all over the world are right now blowing out energy out the buildings, Some big server farms manage to do this, but is this also fearsible for a smaller company or maybe even for your home? Because saving energy not only save cost, money but also is good for the world.

Who knows: in the future we no longer heat with gas or oil, instead we all heat at home with the cloud!

17 minutes ago, Velerio said:

Who knows: in the future we no longer heat with gas or oil, instead we all heat at home with the cloud!

I can’t find it to link it right now, but they did this. They tried to heat a house using a gaming pc.

I am far from an expert in this so please correct me if I’m wrong.

Quote or tag me so I can see your response

PSU Tier List

Motherboard Tier List

PARROT GANG

Mentioned in 7/10/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/15/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/17/20 Techlinked

Mentioned in 7/31/20 WAN Show

Mentioned in 7/31/20 Techlinked

Thing is in most places you don't actually want to heat your house all year, but you do need hot water all year.

However making hot water would require your components to run impractically hot without adding a heat pump.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

Idea --- Using another complete system just without a GPU and connecting it to other systems PCI express slot and using it as the GPU

Is it possible

?

35 minutes ago, Garvit13 said:

Idea --- Using another complete system just without a GPU and connecting it to other systems PCI express slot and using it as the GPU

Is it possible

?

That is not how CPUs and PCIE lanes work. Also, there is also no protocol that can do that. So, no.

y'all need to poop more often.

Hello,

So I had emailed you guys and someone refered me here, so I'll post it here.

This may seem crazy but could you make a video or a livestream on a 'budget Intel cpu pc build' (by budget I mean ~500- 800 USD with at least a 10th gen core i5).

I know that the world( or most of the people in it who actually care about this stuff) is shifting toward AMD Ryzen line-up but some of us would still want an intel pc. And again there is plethora of videos on AMD ryzen builds so I'm asking you guys to this. Thanks.

Side note: If possible let the motherboard have built in WiFi capabilities.

can you guys do a video testing and validating the difference of using CCA cat 6 vs full copper cat 6 ethernet cable...listing out everything from packet drops, signal loss, link speed test, signal attenuation...for most common cable length, 1ft, 5ft, 10ft, 20ft, 30ft, 50ft, 100ft

I hope this comment reaches Linus, it's about the Linus Torvalds machine he has built.

I don't know how your build took that long, but probably because it's a Live image running from a USB Stick!
I just finished building the latest Linux Kernel 5.7.7 on my Convertible ultrabook HPEnvyX360 with the 8-cores 15W Ryzen 7 4700U and it finished in just 2 Minutes 53 Seconds :D
I used this command (8 parallel threads)
$ time make -j 8 defconfig bzImage modules 
and this is the time command output
real    2m53,190s

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I build custom Linux systems on different hardware architectures for living 😉

Laptop: HP Envy x360 convertible 13-ay0xxx / Ryzen 7 4700U / 16G 3200MHZ RAM

Desktop: ASRock B450M Pro4 / Ryzen 7 1700X / Arctic Freezer 33 eSports ONE / Corsair Vengeance LPX Kit 16GB, DDR4-2666MHz / Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD - 500GB / Thermaltake TR2 S - 450W / Corsair Carbide Series SPEC-05 Case