Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CPotter

Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

On 6/11/2020 at 1:47 AM, if528 said:

I just found this ad on youtube for "cheap gaming pcs" and I would be glad to see a review since it sounds too good to be true.

Ad:

I did some research and apparently it's just a reskinned Dell Optiplex upgrade. Notice how the motherboard is called an "OEM Motherboard" and it uses a stock fan and a 3rd gen i5.

Main Rig: i5-4460, EVGA GTX 1060, Gigabyte GA-H81M-H, 16GB of G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 RAM, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD

Other Tech: iPhone XS 64GB, Nintendo 3DS XL (Snapped), Apple Watch Series 2, Airpods, Nintendo Switch, Retro Consoles, Vizio 32" Smart TV

Guess: PC or Mac?

A video where LTT members have to talk to some number of people and guess whether each one is a PC or mac user based on appearance and interaction :)

My sound system costs more than my PC.        Check out my S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Intel i7 4790k | AMD Vega 64 | ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | Corsair Vengeance Pro 32GB | NZXT S340 | Seasonic Platinum 760 | modded H100i | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | 2x Samsung 850 Pro 512GB | WD Red 4TB Samsung 58" 4k TV | 2x Behringer NEKKST K8 | BIC Acoustech H-100II | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

How about a video in which you guys show that last gen ryzen  8 core cpu vs present gen ryzen 6 core and 4 core cpu. Which is better for content creation? And will I get any performance boost if I go with a older gen higher number of core cpu that I can find cheaper than the present gen lower number of core cpu that is costly.

Making your own GPU of course with a bigger LMG budget

Main Build

CPU:Intel Core i7-3770    Motherboard:MSI Z77A-GD65 (MS-7751)    GPU:Palit JetStream NVIDIA GTX 1060 6GB

RAM:Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ x2 + Corsair XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600MHZ x2    Case:AeroCool LS-5200 Black    PSU:AeroCool KCAS 600W    Cooling:Akasa K32

Storage:Galax Gamer TA1D0240A 240GB SSD + Seagate Barracuda 1TB (2016)-TRL 217 + Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3240G 240GB SSD + Seagate Momentus 7200RPM 750 GB 

Display:Acer KG221Q    Keyboard:Ozone StrikeBattle TenKeyless    Mouse:Razer DeathAdder Elite + Logitech G403    Sound:Logitech G35 + Logitech Z506

Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Laptop:Monster MS-1762  

CPU:Intel Core i7-3630QM    GPU:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX    Motherboard:MS-1762    RAM:Kingston 2x8GB DDR3 800MHZ Storage:Kingston HyperX 3K 240 GB SSD+ Seagate Momentus 7200RPM 750 GB    Operating System: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Backup Build

CPU:Intel Core 2 DUO E6300    Motherboard:GA-G31M-E2SL GPU:NVIDIA GT640    RAM:Hi-Level 2x4GB DDR2 800MHZ    Storage:Sandisk SSD Plus 120GB 

Case:FRISBY FC-S6040B    PSU:FOEM 300W    Cooling:Akasa K32     Operating System:Windows 10 Pro 32-bit

Don't talk to me if your RGB luminates your room better than your light bulbs

Posted (edited)

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE consider doing a vid or even a series on running Chrome OS ???  

Most bang for small bucks ? 

Target audience Kids, Mom, Grandma or a box dedicated to a room, kitchen, garage, living, rec room or for a 3rd 4th 5th ect box in the house  Average people NEVER exit from a browser ( typically chrome) 99% of the time any way.

Which flavor ????????? 

https://www.neverware.com/#intro

https://www.androidcentral.com/how-convert-windows-laptop-chromebook

https://download.cnet.com/Google-Chrome-OS/3000-18513_4-75329145.html

on cheap common generic X86 boxes ie

https://www.pcliquidations.com/p42832-dell-optiplex-3020-sff

https://www.pcliquidations.com/p84803-hp-elitedesk-800-g1

https://www.pcliquidations.com/p112419-dell-latitude-e6510-15#

https://www.newegg.com/hp-elitebook-8470p/p/1TS-000D-0ANE1?&quicklink=true

in a dual boot config ????

ditch windows altogether

- best way ?????

of course you would want to upgrade the drive 

swap n clone? 

add dual boot via bios??

ssd?

M.2 on a card?

sata?

Memory requirements ? is DDR4 worth the extra cash ?? 4 or 8 meg does it make a diff ???

Or just boot from a stick ?????

Where is the MAIN bottleneck with this class of box in THIS scenario  ????

A knowledgeable person Knows how much they DON'T KNOW, There are SO MANY MANY variables ???

Help, Im SOOOOO Confused !!!!! 

This is a no brainer virial vid for you guys

Thank You very much, you guys are da Bomb !!!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE ?

Hello,

So, do you guys have any desire or intention to pursue this suggestion?

TY 

Edited by -JP
To solicit feedback

I don't know if this as already been suggested but here it is.

Short version: Why not watercool, overclock, overvolt and overamp a forklift ( or anything with a electric motor (AC or DC) and a controler)) ?

Long version: Watching your watercooling videos, the New workshop's equipements and many videos featuring Alex, i had this Idea: since Electric forklift controlers are PCB with capacitors, resistors, transistors, etc... That needs to take the heat away via thermal paste, heatsinks and fans, why not watercool them!!!! 🤣 and maybe overclock/overvolt/overamp them too and see if you can get real-action performances gains. 

Whit that said, i understand that the scale is probably to much and, yeah, smaller will make it easier to create something useful with a project like that.

Hi there, 

I have a 33 year old computer (starts up but not fully working as i don't have all the parts, yet) i'm wondering if Linus would be interested in having a look at it or just having some fun or something with it, i live in Perth Australia so shipping might be hard but i think i'll deal with that when it happens, I have no clue how to use the computer (i had newer ones when i was born) so i figured someone could make a video on it or something, cause whenever i look there are none, also its super cool. So just asking what to do. I think it would be a great idea for a video (maybe a little bias). All I would ask is that I can get it back in the future and maybe a shoutout or link or something for me. 

Thanks, 

Scarlett

Scarlett has arrived!!

Just your local tech geek!

Love to help!

when will linus review this epic must have mercedes class monitor? I don't get when he gets it. It comes out the 26h of this month! :) so excited!

Water cool a human.

Obviously humans are already liquid cooled, but you could enhance this further. Custom "blocks" (or something, this would be the hardest part of the build, but I can think of a few ways to do it) attached to the person at key areas (eg: back of neck and wrists, under arms, etc), then you pump the water through some radiators that are either separate or as part of a backpack.

Phase 2 OTT version: use colder water.

Does this make any sort of sense? No, you can just put your feet in cold water and your body will cool down quickly.

Is it totally awesome though? I reckon, yeah.

With the new 8GB Raspberry Pi 4 out, I thought it would be an interesting idea to build a Raspberry Pi all-in-one (I have made one myself with the Pi3B+, tho it isn't pretty). Maybe 3d print a case, with a screen on the new 8GB Pi4, and maybe also add a couple terabytes of storage, add how it will be powered and you are good. It's a fun project, even when you only got scotch tape and cardboard from an old notebook.

12 hours ago, Spoiled_Kitten said:

Hi there, 

I have a 33 year old computer (starts up but not fully working as i don't have all the parts, yet) i'm wondering if Linus would be interested in having a look at it or just having some fun or something with it, i live in Perth Australia so shipping might be hard but i think i'll deal with that when it happens, I have no clue how to use the computer (i had newer ones when i was born) so i figured someone could make a video on it or something, cause whenever i look there are none, also its super cool. So just asking what to do. I think it would be a great idea for a video (maybe a little bias). All I would ask is that I can get it back in the future and maybe a shoutout or link or something for me. 

Thanks, 

Scarlett

Does it run on DOS? Do you know what brand it is? Does it resemble anything you can see in this video? https://youtu.be/hiLlNzxDfAg

Not sure if this has already been posted, but how about a video about DIY cloud streaming?

I personally use Parsec to connect to an Amazon EC2 GPU instance when I don't have access to my desktop and it works quite well for me.

Have a few video ideas I want to share.

• A pc with a custom hard line water loop made as much as possible out of 3d printed parts. I was thinking that transparent filament with rgb fittings would look amazing for the tubing.
  • I recently heard that sugar stops concrete from solidifying. Would love to see a follow up on the concrete cooled pc to see if it can be used as a permanent solution.
  • A series showing how to make the best budget pc for university students in different majors. Could have one focused on engineers (and the nightmare of running inventor), video game design majors, animation intensive fields, etc.
  • Making a custom laptop.
  • How to find a new screen to repair a broken tv/monitor. There are already several videos showing how to put in the new screen once you have it, none explaining how to pick one that is compatible to begin with.
  • A video on putting dye in water cooling loops. This could also include several "DIY" options like adding food coloring or acrylic paint, and comparing them to water cooling specific dyes in performance and ease of maintenance.
  • Best budget pc build specifically for vr gaming. 
  • a compilation of all drops throughout the years.

I've seen a bunch of LTT videos getting sponsored by ting. It always made me think about how crazy expensive mobile data is in Canada!! I used to live in Quebec for about 4 years and my parents used to pay something like $35 for 2GB of data back in 2015. When we moved to France I was blown away by how cheap data was.

Currently I pay 16€ For 100GB of data, unlimited text and calls plus I even had 3 months of Spotify premium at the beginning. Unless there's something I missed in the numbers from Canada, it really sounds like a rip-off, almost a scam... How is this not illegal?? 

So anyway I was just thinking it could be a good subject to cover in a video or Wan Show or something :) 
Here are a few examples, I personally use the Bouygues Telecom one:
-
https://www.bouyguestelecom.fr/forfaits-mobiles/sans-engagement?gclid=CjwKCAjw_qb3BRAVEiwAvwq6Vk13NJJw_yATPVGlBL4Onfh29eEcUJ8QDNpusoolxLjg96BgyPrLNBoCqnoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds
-http://mobile.free.fr/

-https://www.red-by-sfr.fr/forfaits-mobiles/

image.png.71a47c67f5ff51d8ecdee59c545445da.png
https://discordapp.com/channels/375436620578684930/375436621450969089/722781342332485664 (discord link to these images)

Since we have proof that you can use copper tubing as cooling loop lines,

I have an idea for a build you can do that would be really interesting. I was thinking you could make a PC with high performance parts that have thermal throttling issues, and then instead of doing a standard water cooling loop, you could do an Ethanol (Vodka) cooling loop attached to a heat exchanger and an R134A refrigeration system exchanging heat with it. Something like what Adam Savage did for his cooling suit, only integrated into a PC.

And to control condensation, you could have the refrigeration turn up or down as the stress on the CPU and GPU goes up or down with some microcontroller magic. Heck, you could completely stabilize the temperature between idle and full load if you do it correctly.

It Would be perfect for a steampunk build.

Reference : Adam Savage's Cooling Suit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_Ti4GP0ntE

Cool a system in a fridge or freezer.

You Only Liao Once

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

I've been looking at Linux laptops and found the system76 darter pro. It looks quite good in the photos but doing a proper review should tell the whole story

47 minutes ago, Stonelesscutter said:

Been done.

never seen it on ltt. idc if it is anywhere else.

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma