Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CPotter

Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

more raspberry pi and maker electronics pls!

or @AlexTheGreatish doing interesting things with diy cpu coolers or potatoes

Don't forget to use the "Quote" feature or mention me ( @Gegger) if you want me to see your reply!

If you want to make a thread, check if there is another related thread first.

Community Standards // Forum Quickstart Guide // Floatplane // Forum FAQ
Banned by Linus in the "banning game" thread who added insult to injury by putting this crap in my sig >(

WE ARE THE DARK SIDE Don't be a light theme peasant

Spoiler

........:oo:........

o//ssssssssyhhysssss+////o               .'''''''''''''''''. 

mddmmm/::ddddddddddddddmmmyss::/mmN       |   PARTY OR DI  |

o..+oodddmmmhhhhhhhhhhhdmmmmmdddooy       | ,................'

h::oyyhddmmm+++///////////++++++mmmddy::s  |/

Nyyo[[sddhyyyyy::::::::::::::::::::yyymmh//oyym

h..:oohmm+:://///::::////////////////+mmmmms..sNN

m++sddmmm+::hddhhy::+ddddddddddddddhhhmmmmmdhh+++d

Nsssyyhmmhssooodmmhhh::+mmdyyyyyyyyddddddmmmmmmmmo::d

mmd../mmmmmo::shhdmmhhh::+mmhooooooooyhhmmmmmmmmmmmyssdmm

+++++smmdddo::///dmmhhh::+mmhooooooooooommmmmddddmmmdd/++m

``+hhhmmhoo/:::::oooooossymmhooooooooyyymmdoooooydddmmo//N

++:mmmmmy:::::::::::::/yyhmmhooooooooyhhmmd:::::+yyhmmyssddd

ooommmmmy:::::::::::::://ommhooooooooooommd:::::://shhdmm+..

yyhmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyyymmd::::::::/++hmm+//

dddmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmhooooooooyhhddh:::::::::::hmmysshhd mmmmmdhhs::::::::::::::::+mmhoooooooohhhhhy:::::::::::hmmhhh``+ mmmmmh++/::::::::::::::::+mmdhhsooooodmm++/:::::::::::hmmsss``+ dddmmhoo+::::::::::::::::+dddddyssyyydmm::::::::::::::hmmsoo++o dddmmdhho::::::::::::::::+hhdmmddddmmmmm::::::::::::::hmmsooNNN mmmmmh///::::::::::::::::+hhdmmmmmmmmddd::::::::::::::hmmsoo++/ yyhmmdss+::::::::::::::::/ooydddmmmmmsoo::::::::::::::yddhyy::+ ++ommmmmy:::::::::::::::::::ohhdmmddd/::::::::::::::::shhdmmsssNNNmmN ..+mmmmmy:::::::::::::::::::://shh+//:::::::::::::::::://dmmmmdoo+..o ``+dddmmhss+:::::::::::::::::::+++/::::::::::::::::::::::ooodddhhysshNNy++m ``+hhdmmdhhs///:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::yyymmmmmmmmo++hNNmdd ``+hhdmmdhhhhh+:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::/hhhhhdmmmmmsoo... ``+ddmmmdhhhhhyyyyyyyyyyyo:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+++++sdddmmdhhsss//+ ``+mmmmmhsshhhhhhhhhhhhhhy++/:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::+ssyyydmmddd///hhd ``+mmmmmy::shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhs:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::ymmmmmmmh../ ``+mmmmmy:://////////////ohhhyy+::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::///hddmmmhhs++s ``+mmmmmhssssssssssssssssydddddysssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssdddmmmmmy::s ``+mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmhooh

Hi all,

I would like to see a video about the effect of background services that manage updates on gaming performance and if they're the cause of lag spikes. The internet is full of forum post about people that try to stop, remove or have problems with services. Every one seems to hate them, especially when they when they can't be stopped.

The idea came to me whilst trying to resolve a bug in our ERP system that gets triggered when background services preform updates or send telemetry data. I've noticed that services that update Office 365, Chrome and Adobe (and probably more) have taks scheduled that run and if needed restart the service every hour.

If you ever wondered why Office Click-To-Run.exe keeps starting even when the service set to start manually... Office has scheduled tasks planned to make sure that the service runs al the time... They even found a way to revert any changes to the tasks and when you delete them... it just creates new tasks ?

When the Office Click-to-Run service gets launched by these tasks there is a small lag spike and frame dip in Insurgency Sandstorm. So I've set OCTR to start, run 2 minutes then end the service, wait for a half minute and repeat (same method as how I found the bug). I can see  the ping and frame rate spike a little bit. I have 32gb ram with a 3800x and a GTX 1080 so I'm flabbergasted that it's noticeable. 

Maybe setup a low, mid and high end PC and set multiple background update services to launch simultaneously during a benchmark. Adobe, Autodesk, Chrome, Office 365 and Solidworks have services that can and will run updates while gaming.

I couldn't care less about the privacy. The fact is that applications come with services. BUT I freaking hate that I have no say in how or when they run. 

Kind regards,

TB.

ps: Install all the games and the programs to get the services. Make sure the services don't launch or update on login or boot-up. Then time the triggers so you can time them with the benchmark. Disconnect the drive and make a few copies. Wait a few weeks to make sure there are updates and start testing.

A PC built by the forum, like a poll for things like AMD VS Intel and so on

#AllBirbsAreEqual

My Humble Budget Build

• CPU
    Ryzen 5 2600
  • Motherboard
    ASUS B450M
  • RAM
    T-Force 16GB 3000mhz DDR4
  • GPU
    Powercolor Red Dragon Rx580 4GB
  • Case
    Rosewill ATX Mid-Tower
  • Storage
    1 X WD 1TB HDD
    1 X Seagate 2TB HDD
    1 Silicon Power 256gb SSD
  • PSU
    EVGA850 BQ
  • Display(s)
    HP 1920 X 1080 Monitor
    Acer SB220Q bi 21.5 inches Full HD
    Acer 1440 X 900 Monitor
  • Cooling
    Enermax Liqmax III
    1 120mm Rosewill Case fan
  • Keyboard
    Corsair K68 RGB Keyboard
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Trinity
  • Sound
    Insignia Computer Speakers
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Ultimate

Hello, i would love to see a video about virtualisations. Diferences (pros and cons) between ProxMox and for example Xen (not xenServer) or any other popular platform :) Anthony talked about that a little in a few videos. But detailed video could be usefull and enlightening :)

I think voice assistant alternatives like Mycroft could be quite interesting.

Are they any good?

In what ways are they (maybe) better than Google Assistant/Alexa/Siri/Bixby?

I for myself never heard of any other computer voice apart from these four (except maybe Cortana and Jibo) until i stumbeled upon Mycroft and realized that there are actually other computerized butlers out there. 
I think it's quite the same for a lot of people.

On 3/20/2019 at 10:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Hello

I know there are a lot of us here who are both gamers and content creators. 

I also know you have made a couple of videos regarding builds for content creators but I think it's time for a new one.

So, my question is could you please make a video about a content creator/light gaming build on a 1500€ budget including monitor?

Thanks!

Viv

What's up all,

I had a great idea for the next scrapyard wars. $1,000 to build with a couple catches. The catches are your build has to include rgb, custom water cooling system(you have to build it from scratch only tubes, pumps, CPU and GPU has to be water cooled as well using store bought metals, fittings, and tubes), and lastly you have to build a case from scratch ( meaning building it completely enclosed using wood or scrap metal with unique airflow designs, and able to take off side panels). With this being said I would say a week to build this and run benchmarks, games benchmarks, lastly CPU and GPU usage percentage. While at standard and overclocked on both CPU and GPU. To find out the winner it would be based off of case design, airflow designs, and water cooling design by judges. The second half is the average of all benchmarks both overclocked and standard. Winner is the highest score of everything tallied up together.

1 hour ago, Jetfighter808 said:

Just a large barrel that connects to the gutters of your house to collect rainwater.

Ah that's not a term we have here, thank you.

I want to see Linus trying to use Linux as his daily driver for a week. I bet it'd be very interesting ?

No idea if it's been mentioned before, but how about Linus meets Linus? Or, the creator of the most used OS kernel meets the online Tech-dropping Champ :P

Although I'm not so sure mr Torvalds would be up for it, from what I understand he doesn't particularly like being the centre of attention, let alone being revered as some sort of tech-god. But it would give Anthony a perfect excuse to hone his Linux skills even further ;)

"You don't need eyes to see, you need vision"

(Faithless, 'Reverence' from the 1996 Reverence album)

Could you do a video on some of the best bang for buck monitors/ combination of monitors for productivity? Not everyone needs  <1ms response time monitors with with 240hz refresh rates...

a good video idea would be to explain in more depth the different ssd variants,not just m.2,nvme,sata but also go into differences of mlc,tlc,slc,emlc,qlc,and 3dnand,2d nand,and maybe also go into the controllers of which is fastest and so on,i know for me when i was shopping for a new m.2 drive the research i did was extensive and there is soo much to know about.

Make a tour of the Data Center where the LTT Forum Server is in and show off the LTT Forum Server !!!!

And explain everything about it in a detailed video, please !

@Gegger @Windows7ge

Make sure to Quote or mention me (@Pascal...) if you want me to see your reply or Content such as Status Updates, Threads, Album entries or Blog Posts.
My Tech:

Spoiler

Phone: Oppo Reno 2Z 128GB in luminous Black

Game Console: Nintendo Switch Lite in Grey w/ Avantree C51 Bluethooth adapter for the Headphones

Headphones: Sony WH-H900N in Grey

IoT Devices: Raspberry Pi 4 4GB w/ armor case 

Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S in Blue

Mousepad: Logitech G840

Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB

Display: Dell P2416D

Temporary PC as of right now:

Case: HP Tower

Mobo: HP Custom

CPU: i5 3570 @ 3.4GHz

RAM: 14GB of DDR3 @ 1666MHz

GPU: Nvidia Quadro FX 1800

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 128GB

PSU: HP Custom 350W

Other Tech:

Scooter: Xiaomi Mi Pro Electric Scooter

Toothbrush: Xiaomi Mi Electric Toothbrush

Lighting in my room: 3x Xiaomi Yeelight Smart RGB light bulbs

Electric Razor: Philips OneBlade Face & Body

Smartwatch: Garmin Fenix 5X Saphire Edition

5 hours ago, Pascal... said:

Make a tour of the Data Center where the LTT Forum Server is in and show off the LTT Forum Server !!!!

And explain everything about it in a detailed video, please !

@Gegger @Windows7ge

A post-mortem regarding the Friday the 13th funday forum problems would be nice too.  Include plenty of jokes about Linus dropping things.

On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

Dayz is one of those games thats hit and miss with some. YET there’s a new modded server yall should look into.(they’re aboutbto build a dedicated sever) Its “The Apocalypse of Enoch” its based on a book series by the author Shane Moore and there's 3books thats a prequel to the bases of the server. As of now their on dayz, but they have their own standalone in development. A streamer on FB that goes by McG-TV introduced me to all of this great game concept and just wanna show yall the greatness in the making! hope yall could show them some love even if its just advise!!! 

I seriously want to ask linus that can he make something like this. I want a PC which looks like this but performs much better than this, I now you can make this, so please try or just watch the video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-z9PidYH4E

2 hours ago, Saptam said:

I seriously want to ask linus that can he make s

Merged to official and monitored video suggestion thread.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

How to build and set up a home nas

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600x  | GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070 Founders Edition | RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200MHz | Motherboard: Gigabyte B450 Aorus M | PSU: EVGA 650 B3 | STORAGE: Boot drive: Crucial MX500 1TB, Secondary drive: WD Blue 1TB hdd | CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P350x | OS: Windows 10 Pro | Keyboard: Redragon K556 | Monitors: Main: ASUS VP249QGR 144Hz, Secondary: Dell E2014h 1600x900

"You don't need to spend a crap ton of money to build yourself a worthwhile gaming computer." -JayzTwoCents (Blasphemy, I know. Deal with it.)

I can't help you buy something if you don't list a budget or intended use.

I can't help you troubleshoot if you don't list your specs/config.

P.S. Pictures usually help.

Hi! 

I've registered onto your forum especially to ask you this one question :  I know from older videos that Linus is a fan of UnRaid, and so am I.  About the only "downside" UnRaid has (because of the way it works) is that its throughput speeds are not mindblowing, not compared to a regular Raid array anyway.  But IMO about everything else is better, especially for home users and maybe even small businesses.

But then I started to wonder : now that SSD prices have dropped a lot in the last couple of years, it's slowly becoming interesting to consider using SSD's for use in the disk array (not only as the cache drive!).

So I would love to see Linus make a network speed comparison between :

1. A classic Unraid system with all winchester drives.

2.  A classic Unraid system with winchester drives for its array and SSD's for cache

3. An Unraid system with only SATA600 2.5" SSD's

4. An UnRaid system with only NVMe SSD's.

Of course all tested with 10 Gbe cards...  as far as I can see, nobody has ever done this before.

I'm curious to see if this would work, and how much difference it would make.  Sure, this would make the server about 5 to 6 times as expensive, but as a home user I'm not looking for hundreds of Terabytes of storage anyway, so this just might be worth it...

Cheers!

1 hour ago, TrainFan2020 said:

How to build and set up a home nas

Technically they've already got some great videos on the topic:

Make sure to Quote or mention me (@Pascal...) if you want me to see your reply or Content such as Status Updates, Threads, Album entries or Blog Posts.
My Tech:

Spoiler

Phone: Oppo Reno 2Z 128GB in luminous Black

Game Console: Nintendo Switch Lite in Grey w/ Avantree C51 Bluethooth adapter for the Headphones

Headphones: Sony WH-H900N in Grey

IoT Devices: Raspberry Pi 4 4GB w/ armor case 

Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S in Blue

Mousepad: Logitech G840

Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB

Display: Dell P2416D

Temporary PC as of right now:

Case: HP Tower

Mobo: HP Custom

CPU: i5 3570 @ 3.4GHz

RAM: 14GB of DDR3 @ 1666MHz

GPU: Nvidia Quadro FX 1800