Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CPotter

Thread for Linus Tech Tips Video Suggestions

After watching some of the Tech Hoarder video... I realize that you could make a video where you force them to make order in their stuff. This could also serve to promote the responsible recycling of old electronics in official drop off points.

Two 3-year-olds build a compact pc in an NZXT H1 case. I have a 3 year and I’ve seen a couple of videos where your daughter helps builds a pc. Small hands for a small build. 

I think Alex should revisit the Sleeper PC Series using a PS3 Shell and that awesome workshop you got now. Some of the videos you could attempt are:

• Fastest PS3 of All Time (Similar to their Fastest Xbox of All Time video - Gaming Focused. Fit as much gaming horsepower as you can into the shell and play PC games, PC ports or RetroArch emulation like on the recent switch video).
  • PS3 Sleeper Series PC (Similar to their The ULTIMATE Compact Sleeper PC Build - PC Desktop Focused. Focus on productivity, video editing, browsing, media center, game streaming, everyday PC use with priority on acoustics and temperatures).
  • Running Linux (or Yellow Dog Linux) on a PS3 (After the above two, you can install modern Linux or the Original Yellow Dog Linux distro from the mid 2000s on either build from the above two as a Linus did it thing. This is in reference to how Sony advertised the OtherOS Feature on PS3 systems before taking it away through software (Tesla wasn't the first) and losing a class action lawsuit for it in the US for it. This video could be Educative about how things played out, warning on how manufacturers like Apple and Testa sometimes take away features on devices you paid for through software/updates and a little bit of Console Gaming History with the silver lining ending that in the end, Linus got Linux to run on the "PS3" like originally intended.

You could make 2-3 videos with this, get a cool system to add to the lounge and have fun (I expect some usual frustration getting it to work) while modding it. The interior of the original is quite roomy since the motherboard in it is larger than an ATX motherboard and this model had a giant cooler inside making the case deep. There is plenty of vents so it should have decent cooling without modifications as long as you aren't running 90nm era CPUs/GPUs with a 66% efficient PSU and one giant fan. The launch model has 4 USB ports in the front so you can have up to 4 USB ports without risking cutting into the front and limited edition chrome trim with the logo in silver. It can be vertical or horizontal. If you get a feed-type DVD drive, you can feed the disks right through the front and eject with software or pressure sensitive buttons if you make your own but modern PCs don't need DVD drives anyways. You can re-purpose the C13 plug in the back as a power pass-through to a PSU inside the case. There is a flap where the card reader is located, you can hide buttons or I/O ports in this area without having it affect the exterior look of the system. Perfect sleeper feature.

You can try to source a shell from ebay from the 2-3 sellers that stock them for $20-25 us including shipping (probably $35 us because Canada). They have pictures of one system (the best looking one) and are selling like 90 shells so you risk getting low grade shells with scratches, missing screws, less features (from newer shells) at random. I am disassembling my PS3 to put it on a PC case for my own PS3 mod project so I don't need the shell I've zealously taken care of for 13 years. It has no scratches or defects, CECHA01 serial sticker in the back and a January 2007 manufacture date. They sold out on Fall launch and I was able to finally get one in February for my birthday after visiting several stores. I can include the C13 plug unit, card reader, shell and all screws that hold it together. I can even throw in the original/working ZSSR5391A PSU that came with it so you can study it and make a Techquickie or ShortCircuit video about how bad it was. I am willing to send the shell, hardware I don't need and pay ground UPS shipping to Canada (Unfortunately about $35 for ~8 lbs volume weight from the East Coast to British Columbia) if you are willing to make one or more videos with it because like you and the community, I love tech. Merch as a thanks would be too rich for getting this case to you although it would be nice to own something LTT. I would just like a thanks, call out in the video and if possible to have Alex fabricate and etch a little custom badge to glue or bolt screw over the Phanteks logo on my mod's Enthoo Pro Full case.

PS3 Shell Pictures:

Spoiler

image.png.fdddc3994936c13404b8d8b0c6f7ed7f.png

image.png.58b94913dbb85bc124bd950907b9b68f.png

image.png.9e46ac8e0bed6fb153e19a46059fb4f2.png

image.png.11e61c32a2ee939d612fbf9015ea6ede.png

image.png.3b71c669e130762b25eeb22b9db8c781.png

image.png.130913d1f4d6815e5142df16dfe5d146.png

image.png.b8844d8ad1d51f31eef3faf207112aaa.png

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Logo:

Spoiler

Fgdev.png

There is an App Called Netboom it's a cloud windows 10 looks like LTSC Edition to play Games Like League of Legends or GTA. I have a Moto E4 not the greatest phone can watch videos and play some games. Know I downloaded this and I played League of Legends like there was some glitches but it was Smooth experience. You guys should try a video about cloud gaming on a smart phone. Set a Cloud Virtual Machine Install Windows 10 LTSC us LoginMeIn Android Edition or us a remote console for android and Install GTA or League I did not try GTA but I don't know if it would of worked. SOMEONE Send this to LINUS it would make a great video. 

Sorry I just can't believe how much technology is advancing playing League on a Smart phone in my hands was the greatest experience. 

I can't wait when League Rift Comes out on Android it's in Beta or it coming soon... Can't wait no longer... Going to explode lol... 

Thanks Guys

Hey,  This question I posted might make an interesting video?  Surely there are a few ways to achive this result?

Brandon vs Peter McKinnon in a full Photoshoot Workflow Battle: Camera, lights, post processing. Or against Taran for video editing.

Creator Of That Awkward Silence

This is sort of a continuation of my previous post here, a PC powered by shockwaves from repeated explosions.

An explosion could be set off, the shockwave from that explosion would then hit a drum, which would vibrate back and forth against a mechanism that would begin to spin an electromagnet, then powering the PC from the magnet.

I'm not an explosive engineer and I have no idea what type of explosives are legal for consumers in Canada. I also am not sure how far from the explosion the drum would need to be in order to effectively be hit by the shockwave without destroying the other components. I'm also not sure how many restrictions would need to be placed on the electromagnet to prevent an overload or too high a variation in power.

All I know is that this would be stupidly awesome.

IMG_20200302_092945-01.jpeg

This is going to sound very selfish but I have been looking everywhere trying to find an answer with no luck.

From a video ltt did a few years ago I upgraded my asus g20cb with an m.2

By all means it's still a good system but it's time to upgrade.

A video showing if this old computer can be upgraded to an i9 9900, rtx 2080 and 64gb of 2666mhz ram would be amazing. 

I know it's the right socket but am worried about bios and heat issues.

Make a PC Case completely out of Case fans. Do the complete opposite to what Case manufacturers are doing right now with blocking most of the air flow by tempered glass on the front and top in favour of looks. Build a "spine" out of steel pipes to hold all of the components and fans in place. @AlexTheGreatish @LinusTech 

Part of this idea is courtesy of @Gegger

Make sure to Quote or mention me (@Pascal...) if you want me to see your reply or Content such as Status Updates, Threads, Album entries or Blog Posts.
My Tech:

Spoiler

Phone: Oppo Reno 2Z 128GB in luminous Black

Game Console: Nintendo Switch Lite in Grey w/ Avantree C51 Bluethooth adapter for the Headphones

Headphones: Sony WH-H900N in Grey

IoT Devices: Raspberry Pi 4 4GB w/ armor case 

Mouse: Logitech MX Master 2S in Blue

Mousepad: Logitech G840

Keyboard: Coolermaster Masterkeys Pro S RGB

Display: Dell P2416D

Temporary PC as of right now:

Case: HP Tower

Mobo: HP Custom

CPU: i5 3570 @ 3.4GHz

RAM: 14GB of DDR3 @ 1666MHz

GPU: Nvidia Quadro FX 1800

SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 128GB

PSU: HP Custom 350W

Other Tech:

Scooter: Xiaomi Mi Pro Electric Scooter

Toothbrush: Xiaomi Mi Electric Toothbrush

Lighting in my room: 3x Xiaomi Yeelight Smart RGB light bulbs

Electric Razor: Philips OneBlade Face & Body

Smartwatch: Garmin Fenix 5X Saphire Edition

1 hour ago, Pascal... said:

Make a PC Case completely out of Case fans. Do the complete opposite to what Case manufacturers are doing right now with blocking most of the air flow by tempered glass on the front and top in favour of looks. Build a "spine" out of steel pipes to hold all of the components and fans in place. @AlexTheGreatish @LinusTech 

Better yet, a PC made entirely out of functional RAM.

1 hour ago, Pascal... said:

Basically already did it

4 hours ago, FakeCIA said:

This is sort of a continuation of my previous post here, a PC powered by shockwaves from repeated explosions.

An explosion could be set off, the shockwave from that explosion would then hit a drum, which would vibrate back and forth against a mechanism that would begin to spin an electromagnet, then powering the PC from the magnet.

I'm not an explosive engineer and I have no idea what type of explosives are legal for consumers in Canada. I also am not sure how far from the explosion the drum would need to be in order to effectively be hit by the shockwave without destroying the other components.

Far enough that there won't be any meaningful energy to harvest.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Dell XPS 2 in 1 2019, 32GB, 1TB, 4K

GPD Win 2

You coud do like a nvidia vs amd graphicscards and also cover the last 10 to 15 years so we see the head to head competition.

sorry for the bad englisch , im from germany?

Posted (edited)
On 3/20/2019 at 5:16 PM, CPotter said:

Hit us with your best Linus Tech Tips video suggestions! This is to replace our old "What should we review next" thread. Linus or one of the writers will read these suggestions, but they may not reply to you in this thread directly.

Linus Tech Tips

I saw your UPS fried and there was mention of a major issue to replace...

I think you should build a glass enclosed white room data centre set for server/networking/storage videos, with a rack or two with your production/office gear.... but make it a set/background and not just a tiny closet

Edited by ToboRobot
4 hours ago, ToboRobot said:

but make it a set/background and not just a tiny closet

When you see a set with server hardware for the looks it's dummy stuff and not actually in production... Running servers are so loud you can't record sound anywhere near, or even do any kind of work since it's so obnoxious.

F@H
Desktop: i7-5960X 4.4GHz, Noctua NH-D14, ASUS Rampage V, 32GB, RTX2080S, 2TB NVMe SSD, 2x16TB HDD RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Thermaltake Overseer RX1, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB NVMe SSD RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

GPD Win 2

5 hours ago, Kilrah said:

When you see a set with server hardware for the looks it's dummy stuff and not actually in production... Running servers are so loud you can't record sound anywhere near, or even do any kind of work since it's so obnoxious.

Sorry there was a typo that made it unclear.  Enclose the “data centre” racks in a small room enclosed in clear glass for a view that confines the sound and heat.  

Just watched a YT video on the Tech Ingredients channel about custom made thermal paste. Would love to see a collaboration or recreation by the LTT staff to test/verify their results. Obviously not practical for most PCs, but then again either is the concrete cooling experiment I saw on LTT! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MOTMq9g8Nk

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J6A6H74/ref=ods_gw_evg_gwd_h4_smp_fr?pf_rd_p=dea21a15-7b90-4d78-8827-93da7a931ae8&pf_rd_r=JRYSHKC7TMMFKS8RTP34&th=1

Amazon has this new "DVR box for cord cutters" but man does it have some issues. Max resolution output is 720p. Some users report resolution can dip down as low as 360p when there's a lot of action on screen. It doesn't look like you can get big name channels on it either, rather it relies on an antenna for reception - the same kind one would use that only gets locally aired channels.

This thing, to me, seems like scam and half. All it seems to allow one to do is record whatever over the air local channels you can receive in your area.

But that's all I gather from reading the product page and a few questions and reviews. I'd love to see LTT play with this thing and try and find any value in it. I mean, if I wanted to record TV shows from either the cable box or the antenna, there's plenty of easy ways to do so on just about any computer these days.

15 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J6A6H74/ref=ods_gw_evg_gwd_h4_smp_fr?pf_rd_p=dea21a15-7b90-4d78-8827-93da7a931ae8&pf_rd_r=JRYSHKC7TMMFKS8RTP34&th=1

Amazon has this new "DVR box for cord cutters" but man does it have some issues. Max resolution output is 720p. Some users report resolution can dip down as low as 360p when there's a lot of action on screen. It doesn't look like you can get big name channels on it either, rather it relies on an antenna for reception - the same kind one would use that only gets locally aired channels.

This thing, to me, seems like scam and half. All it seems to allow one to do is record whatever over the air local channels you can receive in your area.

It's not a scam if it lists everything right there in the product description

•  

• Fire TV Recast is a DVR that lets you watch and record over-the-air TV at home with Fire TV or Echo Show, or on-the-go with a compatible mobile device—with no monthly fees.
  • Enjoy live sports, local news, late night shows, and other can’t miss TV from channels available through an HD antenna (sold separately).
  • Record up to 2 shows at once. Plus, store up to 75 hours of HD programming.
  • With a compatible Alexa-enabled device, use your voice to search for shows, control the channel guide, and manage recordings.
  • The most reliable video streams over Wi-Fi of any over-the-air DVR.

What output resolution does Fire TV Recast support?

Fire TV Recast is capable of receiving all ATSC broadcast resolutions, including 1080i and 720p. When streaming to other devices, Fire TV Recast transcodes 1080i streams to a resolution up to 1440x720p using H.264 to ensure that all Fire TV streaming media players work with Fire TV Recast, and to deliver more reliable video streams over Wi-Fi.

You're free to buy a refurbished laptop for 100-150$ and a usb tuner and watch and record tv and basically do what that box does.

here's some tuners (random search results with good rating)

Amazon.com: HAUPPAUGE WinTV-DualHD Dual USB 2.0 HD TV Tuner for Windows PC 1595,Black: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: Hauppauge Digital TV Tuner for Xbox One TV Tuners and Video Capture 1578: Computers & Accessories

Amazon.com: AVerMedia AVerTV Volar Hybrid Q, USB TV Tuner, ATSC, Clear QAM HDTV & FM Radio, Supports Windows & Android TV 7.0 or above (H837): Computers & Accessories

Software to stream to devices is free, just have to search for it.

26 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It's not a scam if it lists everything right there in the product description

I'm calling it a scam because it's 20damn20 we have 8K TV's and gaming computers that can spit out 144hz at 1440p resolutions all while doing encoding or streaming. I don't think this product should have such limitations in this day and age, thus shouldn't be sold.

Try and cool a PC using thermal mass alone. In the UK, a 350 litre water butt is the same price as a triple radiator. It would be pretty neat (but completely impractical) to see if plumbing the waterblocks directly to a couple of waterbutts and 700litres of water is actually worthwhile at providing better temps. You could even put the pumps in the waterbutts and the waterbutts outside to get rid of the noise completely. Might need a bit of antifreeze though in Canada.

It's been like 5 years since the last RAM Disk video, revisiting that with new gen tech would be interesting. 

Take it to the next step and have a server host off of RAM and have people running off of RAM connect to it for multiplayer.

32 minutes ago, Jetfighter808 said:

Try and cool a PC using thermal mass alone. In the UK, a 350 litre water butt is the same price as a triple radiator. It would be pretty neat (but completely impractical) to see if plumbing the waterblocks directly to a couple of waterbutts and 700litres of water is actually worthwhile at providing better temps. You could even put the pumps in the waterbutts and the waterbutts outside to get rid of the noise completely. Might need a bit of antifreeze though in Canada.

What is a waterbutt?

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

All it seems to allow one to do is record whatever over the air local channels you can receive in your area.

It's not advertised to be doing anything else than that. Allows recording OTA TV and streaming it to your devices.

2 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

I'm calling it a scam because it's 20damn20 we have 8K TV's and gaming computers that can spit out 144hz at 1440p resolutions all while doing encoding or streaming. I don't think this product should have such limitations in this day and age, thus shouldn't be sold.

It takes OTA TV, which is either 720p already or 1080i which isn't much better. No point doing more.

F@H

GPD Win 2